Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

WTB: e28 m20 manual gearbox (Getrag or ZF)

Hi everyone

The Getrag 260 that came with my car has the wrong bellhousing on it (m30 instead of m20), so I am looking to buy either a:

• Getrag 260
  • Getrag 265
  • Getrag 240
  • Getrag 245
  • ZF S5-16

All with either an m20 bellhousing or removable bellhousing and either the holes for the sensors or the ability to have the holes added.

Also a matching driveshaft and shift linkage would be good too.

EDIT: and the cross member

Thanks

Edited by eliongater

I would be interested in your m30 box.

ps I also have a m30b28 engine for sale was a really good runner from a 528i e28 if you want to go that way.

I would be interested in your m30 box.

ps I also have a m30b28 engine for sale was a really good runner from a 528i e28 if you want to go that way.

I assume I would need a cert for that though? (or is this a case of what they don't know doesn't hurt them...)

I'll be keeping the m30 box until I get a replacement so I at least have some kind of manual transmission.

I have got a ZF 5-speed from behind the M20 out of my race car, with the shifter linkage and cross member. Out of an E30, so not sure if it will work in the E28, but will definately bolt up behind an M20. Let me know if it's any good to you.

your m20b27 525e is a 2.7L changing to a m30b28 2.8L from a 528i I don't think woukd make much difference all looks stock

the yanks actually called them 528e anyway .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-930698466.htm

Have found an e28 520i manual driveshaft (from a ZF s5-16), so that plus the zf box might solve my problem.

I don't think it will have the casting or sensor holes you need for the M20 motronic

will bolt up though

but you would need to convert the engine to later motronic set up but then it will never run right unless you get the ecu remapped etc

I don't think it will have the casting or sensor holes you need for the M20 motronic

will bolt up though

but you would need to convert the engine to later motronic set up but then it will never run right unless you get the ecu remapped etc

Oh, :( I've asked Jon if it has them (I can dream can't i?).

You don't happen to have a e28 m20 g260 manual driveshaft do you?

The guy who has the zf driveshaft says that the zf box is the same size as the 260, but I haven't looked into this yet.

Edited by eliongater

I have a G260 out of a 525, M20 engine. Location south auckland $500..

Does it have the holes in the bellhousing for the flywheel sensors?

Stop mucking around and put an M60 6 speed in it

• Like 1

Would someone with a 260 be able to measure the distance between the bolt holes on the guibo (is that right?) at the driveshaft end. See the picture if i'm not being clear.

post-51421-0-22471300-1441343796_thumb.j
And again that is my sister with the tape measure (and nail polish and flowery gumboots)
Thanks

Probably just going to buy a motronic 1.0 getrag 260 and then worry about the driveshaft...

So I'm now looking for a getrag 260 with holes in the bellhousing for the flywheel sensors to mount to an m20 engine

Heya Mate,

I have a 260 getrag from a pfl 525e (528e). Part Number 260.0.1044.90 (as a hole for sensor i believe)

Was used in a 325i e30 until the engine blew, so it comes with a driveshaft suited for an e30... not sure if that's any use to you.

Also comes with a cross member and shifter plate.

Its in storage and I haven't seen it in while, let me know if your interested, and I'll shoot out there for some photos.

Not sure how much these are worth now days, but I was keeping this as a spare while i was waiting for my 240g to explode on my

2.7 stroker.

Cheers

Joe

Heya Mate,

I have a 260 getrag from a pfl 525e (528e). Part Number 260.0.1044.90 (as a hole for sensor i believe)

Was used in a 325i e30 until the engine blew, so it comes with a driveshaft suited for an e30... not sure if that's any use to you.

Also comes with a cross member and shifter plate.

Its in storage and I haven't seen it in while, let me know if your interested, and I'll shoot out there for some photos.

Not sure how much these are worth now days, but I was keeping this as a spare while i was waiting for my 240g to explode on my

2.7 stroker.

Cheers

Joe

I've already bought one sorry. Did the e28 cross member and shift plate work fine in the e30? I would be really interested in the driveshaft if you still have it

I've already bought one sorry. Did the e28 cross member and shift plate work fine in the e30? I would be really interested in the driveshaft if you still have it

They should both be interchangeable from e30 to e28. My understanding is that only the drive shafts are different.

Sorry mate, I'd rather keep the driveshaft with the gearbox :)

They should both be interchangeable from e30 to e28. My understanding is that only the drive shafts are different.

Sorry mate, I'd rather keep the driveshaft with the gearbox :)

I was meaning if you knew where the e28 driveshaft was

Oh right, sorry mate that's been gone a long time ago.

Damn, oh well. Hopefully one of the two driveshafts (m30 manual and m20 manual) I have will work, or can be made to work.

Bump :(

Looks like I need another getrag 260

Check with Charlie - Euro V8.