Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyPixels

E30 - Help me pick an exhaust setup!

Hi all!

I have a '84 320i that I am in the process of bringing back from the dead. On my list of to-do items is to swap out the slightly mangled existing setup for something that saves a bit of weight and gives a nice sound. The current setup I have is a slightly hacked up factory exhaust that has been changed to a single pipe halfway through. I would like to convert the car back to dual pipes all the way, but the e30 factory setup is a bit heavy and too tame in terms of volume for me.

I have done a bit of research and found that while an Eisenmann sounds glorious (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wATJXGhi-70) it is also the most expensive by far. Like $1100 NZD + shipping kind of expensive. Which sucks because it is my favorite.

Stromung makes a catback setup for the e30 that I like a lot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQDkPOFLZA) and is a lot cheaper than the Eisenmann at $610 USD (currently that is $930 NZD because of the crazy exchange rate, so it should get cheaper again). Still a lot coin though.

SO

My bottom line is I paid $850 for my whole car and I'm not in a place where I can just drop 1-2K on a perfect exhaust setup. I want duals and a louder but nice tone. If that could happen for $600 or less all up I would be stoked.

What would you reccomend as a nice sounding rear muffler that is affordable here in NZ? Also use a factory center section or use something else?

Thanks guys! :)

tbh, you wont get something nice for $600, most decent mufflers cost the best part of that alone. 5 hours labour to to builf it you are half way into your budget.

shipping full catbacks etc is very expencive as well, better off shipping ust the muffler you want and the building something up here. buy the flanges if you want to.

Borla is another company that make some nice gear for the M20

at the end of the day however to have something worth owning you will be paying around the $1200 mark.....

maybe you should buy a stock 325i setup and leave it at that for now?

Thanks Andy, I was suspecting that might be the case. I was hoping I just was gravitating toward the really nice stuff as usual (an expensive habit) and someone was going to remind me that there were more cost effective options. You make some good points, so it sounds like I might as well get a stock setup while I save my pennies for what I really want.