Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Removing scuff/paint

We're not sure exactly when it happened, but some ^$#@&^&* rubbed their car against the rear bumper of ours. There's no obvious actual damage - no splits or even serious scrapes - but it has left a red streak across the blue bumper.

What's best for removing this? I was thinking something like T-Cut.

I have had great success with isopropyl alcohol before when I accidently swiped part of the bumper on a painted wooden fence (I know, I know, but it was really tight spot) and the paint from that wiped right off. You can get it at a pharmacy and it is usually pretty cheap for a small bottle; like $6-7 or so. I mostly use it for cleaning thermal paste off CPUs but it is a great solvent because it is pure enough that it leaves no residue.

• Like 2

ive had great success using a small dab of autosol on a rag. Will need to give the paint a real good buff and wax afterwards though, but i never lost any gloss or anything, just took the traded paint off.

• Like 1

I'd not thought of Autosol...

So - two schools of thought. Solvent-based, or polish/abrasion.

Any thoughts on use of White Spirit or Kerosene? I'd have water on hand to immediately wash the affected area, and expect to polish afterwards.

Microfibre cloth and some wax and grease remover (paintbrush cleaner/kerosene will work too) will get most of it. Then use something like Meguiars ScratchX to get out the rest.

I used nail polish remover that my gf had to get a two years of racing rub damage off. Worked well, just buff it after.

Try clay first, send me a PM if you are happy to goto manukau and I'll put the buffer on it for you if you want, not sure where you are.

• Like 1

Well, Kerosene didn't touch it.

Andrew - I'll drop you a line. Thanks.