Sign in to follow this  
Toast

Determining camshaft duration

So I bought a new car and there's the possibility (not holding my breath) it's got Schrick or similar cams. Is there anyone who has the knowledge / time / tools to measure the duration of the cam once I've pulled the valve cover off (assuming it looks different from factory)?

Is there anyone out there with specific knowledge of German tuning companies from the 90's? Either that or I need a translator, German forums are hard to decipher :huh:

Translate.Google.com

Will translate the whole page

• Like 1

Translate.Google.com

Will translate the whole page

Up until things don't translate well when we're dealing with German. "Abstimmung" apparently directly translates to "vote" but really means "tune". German translates REALLY poorly, especially when dealing with colloquial language on a forum.

Don't Schrick have an identifier on their cams? Whip the valve cover off and have a looksee?

Oh right sorry, I know what you mean. Wasnt sure if you had tried Google translate yet.

I was trying to figure out the menu system of a Chinese auto arc voltage controller yesterday for a customer and one part translated into "call the police"

• Like 6

Picking the car up sometime next week. That's gonna be the first plan of attack ^_^

Cam cover will come off, calipers will come out, Schrick stamping will be looked for, lift will be measured. If lift is more than factory and there's no markings I'll be back for more advice on duration.

Thanks for the suggestions, didn't even think of Schrick's factory markings.

Buy a degree wheel and a DTI with 1" stroke, make a TDC dead stop and find the center lines of both cams including lift

If not remove the cam and use a cam doctor

• Like 2

So I picked up the car yesterday, it's a "Kelleners" E36 328i, will post a progress thread tomorrow, needs some things tidied. Removed the valve cover and measured today, Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

So confirmed for Schrick E36 M3US spec cams, both intake and exhaust

^_^ ^_^ ^_^:D

• Like 1

Not sure about those power figures, I'm pretty sure the source for that was from an engine that had lots of

supporting mods.

From here though it says "E36 320, 323, 325, 328/ E34/ E39/ Z3 - +29~37ps/ 6800rpm"

I assume it's just going to be similar power figures to what the US guys get when they put M3 cams in their M52s.

Either way more than I was expecting

Cam basics

http://www.freeasestudyguides.com/camshaft-lift-duration-overlap.html

Next link, Profile difference between cam three durations 211, 276 , 288 which gives a good visual of duration differences .

At 270 you get a lumpy idle and more hp towards higher end of rev range. 255 would be classed as "fast road"

http://www.diyautoftw.com/images/imported/2013/05/710.jpg

Have a bike with 272 inlets and 292 outlets cams for example. The 750 Ltwinn engine is rough below 4000 rpm , but fantastic between 7000-12500 rpm.

Bikes a 748r (4 valve) with RS cams .

That Alfa must of been full on.