Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

95 E38 740i refresh log

Got the old scratched up seats out today.

post-17205-0-32340700-1443142052_thumb.j

post-17205-0-99980200-1443142084_thumb.j

And the new ones in.

post-17205-0-19265600-1443142139_thumb.j

Bonus it came from a later model car so it had the cup holder in the seat. So I was able to delete the old broken cupholder from the center console.

post-17205-0-81304000-1443142205_thumb.j

post-17205-0-81504600-1443142255_thumb.j

Then I took the wood facing plate from the cupholder I deleted and fitted that to the one on the seat. Looks good.

post-17205-0-52757600-1443142318_thumb.j

• Like 2

Pulled apart the ignition switch today and gave all the contacts a clean. Put in a good Amp and I have good sound for about 3 seconds and then it starts beeping at me. Frustrating. I really want to get the stereo going.

post-17205-0-79473400-1443228333_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan

Success of a sorts with the radio.

Replaced the radio module and it works. It's not the right module for my car though so some functions aren't working. But at least now I've got things heading in the right direction. And I have sound.

post-17205-0-41420600-1443310868_thumb.j

• Like 1

Half way through the Chrome line swap.

Rear door cards are done which included swapping out the old speakers(green) which looked good with some from the spare car that look old but work a lot better..

post-17205-0-63366600-1443396532_thumb.j

post-17205-0-13203800-1443396565_thumb.j

Looking good so far but everything needs a good clean(again)..

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 2

Completed the chrome-line retrofit today.

When I took the drivers side door card off the speaker box fell out so this time I replaced the box but kept the old green speakers.

Speaking of green. The PO of the 728i was obviously a smoker/toker. The amount of green leafy stuff thats come out of the pockets in the doors was amazing..lol

post-17205-0-08232700-1443481306_thumb.j

Too much shine for the camera.

post-17205-0-86643600-1443481370_thumb.j

post-17205-0-88686700-1443481405_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan

Good idea putting stock speakers back in.

Who makes those units?

The old aftermarket two way speakers have never been to my liking, can't beat a proper component setup.

Yeah. I took the old green speakers out of the back because they were blown properly. More rattle than sound.

But the front ones are ok so I'll leave them there. I dont know who makes them. The Amp and some other compnents are made by Phillips so it's possible they did the speakers too.

Speakers are Nokia from memory, at least some are

I've been driving the 750i a lot lately and decided to blow the cobwebs out of the 740i yesterday.

When I got it up to speed I noticed the trans was slipping. Alternating up and down by about 250rpm.

I'll do a oil and filter change to get a bit more life out of it but I'm thinking it's time to find that ever elusive Getrag 420g.

I was toying with the idea of putting a super charger in it but the motor has done close to 250k now so instead of a total rebuild to cope with the added power of a S/C plus the 3-4g I'll need for the S/C itself now I'm playing with the idea of seeing if I can find a S62 thats still attached to a 420g and doing the transplant. I'll have to do some research on this. I've seen it done on facelifts but never a pre facelift so while I'm not too worried about the mechanical side of things I could run into problems electronically.

It could be a more cost effective way of gaiining some horses or it could be a electronic nightmare..lol

6195567C-AE58-46A1-93FC-DB2AEB26FADB_zps

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 2

Should you decide to re-power Dave research research and more research. As you noted the mechanical side is not to difficult but things can and do come unstuck quickly with the electrics on BM's and with it being a 7r. With things like is it infrared or radio remote entry, key type,which level of ews does the new unit have to current one, auto set up as to manual electronics, Different market items clusters etc,different types of DME and auto control units just to name a few items. Best of luck for what ever path you decide to take.

Should you decide to re-power Dave research research and more research. As you noted the mechanical side is not to difficult but things can and do come unstuck quickly with the electrics on BM's and with it being a 7r. With things like is it infrared or radio remote entry, key type,which level of ews does the new unit have to current one, auto set up as to manual electronics, Different market items clusters etc,different types of DME and auto control units just to name a few items. Best of luck for what ever path you decide to take.

Yeah, thanks. Not going into this blindly. Have already read multiple how too's and threads on the S62 swap. It's been done many times before and well documented.

Heres a couple of examples.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2233152-E38-S62-Swap-pics&highlight=s62

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2063457-740i-to-M7-transformation-S62-swap&highlight=s62

Absolute worst case would be I would have to run Megasquirt or something similar though I would prefere to keep it all bimmer if I can.

Edited by kulgan

that "slipping" of the trans, could it be the torque converter locking and unlocking at cruise? Might be cheaper to sort that and keep it auto, if it is, than to rebuild/replace the whole auto or convert to manual.

that "slipping" of the trans, could it be the torque converter locking and unlocking at cruise? Might be cheaper to sort that and keep it auto, if it is, than to rebuild/replace the whole auto or convert to manual.

It's not about the cost of saving the Auto. I'll extend it's life a little by giving it a oil and filter change but the plan has always been to convert to manual. The question now is to supercharge or S62.and thats the question of cost. For value for money I'm thinking the S62 is the way to go. Just figuring out the logistics of that swap.

The slipping trans has just pushed the project a bit further forward than I had planned. ha ha, a lot further forward.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 1

Another S62 swap into a E38 ,you might be interested, [you probably all ready seen it] http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2104692-E38-swapped-S62&highlight=s62

Thanks Darryl. I think you'll find that the car in that thread is the one in the pic I used...lol

Actually talking to the guy who did this car and another S62 swap and the concensus seems to be it's going to be difficult unless I swap out the body harness with one from a facelift. As much as I hate to say it I may just have to drive the old girl into the ground and get another one to do all my mods on. She has some body issues going on under the paint from a PO. Adding everything up its NOT adding up.

I'll be better off starting with a good sound facelift base car that wont need bodywork before paint.

Hmmmm, thats a bit sad really.

• Like 1

Damn those S62 powered E38s are just so awesome,If only i won lotto ;) . Would have one in a flash

Yip go facelift first, an S62 in an NZ E38 would be epic! Dave at this rate you'll hit that 7 x 7s in no time :)

• Like 2

The question now is HOW to supercharge AND S62

fixed.

• Like 1

You'd be better off upgrading the engine to an S62 or use one of those GM lumps to be really cool!

• Like 1

I just couldn't bring myself to put a GM into the BMW. That'd be a bit like putting a ford donk into a holden..lol

Although I'd have to admit it would make a lot of things a lot easier. And a bug catcher sitting out of the bonnet would be cool if it was attached to a blower.

:P Safer option than supercharging the M62, I think while others have had varied success it's not the greatest engine to boost long term.

Anything is possible but I personally think they are a better engine to keep NA and look after given they're 20 years old.

S62 sounds like a headache, keep it M62 and bolt a super charger on it.

My vote (not that it means bugger all) would be a refreshed early M62B44 non vanos with a nice low boost (10-12psi) centrifugal charger run on a remapped stock DME. Probably cheaper in the long term than an S62 and easier in the electrical dept. The cost of an overhaul will be cheaper than an S engine package, my main worry would be the ZF auto coping with the increased torque loads. LSx is pretty cool in the 3ers, not so sure about the 5 or 7. Have stumbled across a couple of Chev transplanted E34s and I have to say they never quite seemed right to me.

• Like 2