Sign in to follow this  
MLee

E36 M3 shock-absorbers.

My FR shock popped the other day, and the FL looks like it might be already.

I imagine the stealers would charge lots for these sorts of bits, so I have been looking around for aftermarket OEM replacements.

I'm quite happy on stock suspension for now, so have been looking for just a shock - does anybody know if you can get just an insert? Or do I have to go further? What's good and what's worth avoiding?

What have others done when shocks need doing?

Cheers.

I took some reasonably new Monroes (30k km) out of my M3 when putting in new coilovers so I have the front shocks/struts (with or without spring) and they don't owe me much $ if you need a quick fix. Monroes aren't fantastic IMHO but better than buggered OEM. PM me if interested.

turner motorsport do some good package options

Thanks for the offer on the Monroes - but it looks like I might have to do this properly ;)

That's what I'm starting to think. Or ECS tuning.

Thanks guys.

Cheers Ron,

I've read what you've said in the past re Bilstein vs Koni and trust your opinion.

However went with Bilstein to avoid having to cut/modify original strut to fit inserts (as far as I know Koni only does inserts for E36 M3?)

Will keep the original struts so I can try Koni in the future if I don't like the Bilsteins.

Am I right saying the Bilstein B6 have a built in bump-stop? So I can remove the factory one (as it obviously won't fit the shaft of the Bilstein)?

I can only imagine.

I need a little help:

I've acquired some Bilstein B6 Sport struts - confirmed with a Bilstein supplier to be the only part to fit standard chassis. However the guy who is putting them in for me reckons they won't fit, for two reasons:

1. The shaft has a flat shoulder, whereas the M3 top hat wants a tapered shoulder.

2. That the shock is too long - or at least much longer than the OEM shaft, meaning that there is a much larger gap between hats and spring when rigged up without weight on it compared to the factory spring and strut.

Does anyone know anything about putting Bilsteins in E36 M3's?

These are the Bilstein bits I've got:

post-51284-0-60016500-1441691610.png

These are the apparent issues:

post-51284-0-30680500-1441692066.jpg

post-51284-0-63375700-1441691965.jpg

post-51284-0-57598900-1441692074.jpg

post-51284-0-62225400-1441692082.jpg

post-51284-0-79274800-1441692052.jpg

If this all proves too hard I'll go with OEM or Koni's.

If the spring is still captive it doesn't matter if your shock has a longer stroke.

That's what I thought - would have to clarify if that's what he meant next time I see him.

I've also noticed from the likes of ecstuning and turners have pictures of OEM top spring-plates that don't feature the tapered seat for the shock shaft - Whereas I've read elsewhere that standard Sachs-boges always have a tapered shaft.

Whos telling the truth? I suppose an easy fix to the square shoulder could be to go find untapered top spring-plates/hats.

Edited by MLee

If those front springs are plated - especially chromed - I'd run away and hide. They are not stock, don't use them as the plating can cause embrittling and stress raisers.

Just black paint that has worn off in places I believe... Might look like shiny bits in the photo.

Just black paint that has worn off in places I believe... Might look like shiny bits in the photo.

No Worries. Mine have never looked that shiny :)

• Like 1

Thanks Ron, much appreciated :) hopefully it doesn't come to that!

From the small amount of reading I've done, people say the bottom of the springs remain the same size but that the Evo has a smaller top diameter and hence the tapered spring.

However it sounds like you've been there before.

I'll measure 'er up today.

Cheers Ron.

Here are the bits that came from the car. The strut is definitely OEM and the numbers match realoem, not sure about the spring and there doesn't appear to be a number on the top spring-plate.

post-51284-0-48283400-1441796515.jpg

post-51284-0-89792900-1441796566.jpg

post-51284-0-75109500-1441796577.jpg

Spring is equal width at both ends - approx. 145mm diameter.

Spring coil thickness is 11mm.

Not sure about the rest but that's not a stock M3 spring, they're not black for a start.

Turns out someone has diddled with them before and ground notches out of the hub mounting bolt holes to adjust camber! Wouldn't surprise me if the springs weren't standard either.

I have considered Koni's, but would rather fit them to a less mangled version of the OEM strut.

I had a bit of a revelation:

post-51284-0-88302800-1441858215.png

post-51284-0-72319200-1441858227.jpg

Turns out that there is a tapered washer between shock shaft and top hat. I imagine it's just stuck to the bottom of the top hat with crap - how often is it that these things stare you in the face?

So now I've just got to confirm those springs are real and then - theoretically - it should all go together fine.

• Like 1

That sounds much more logical than hacking in to existing metal.

It appears BMW springs usually (always?) have coloured stripes on them indicating something - like you said Ron - however nobody really knows what they mean exactly.

The springs I have don't appear to have any stripes on them.

Does anyone else have springs with no stripes that they know are factory? Otherwise I may never know.

Could be time for new springs too.

Edited by MLee

Thanks for your help guys.

Concluding the thread:

Turns out the Bilsteins fit and work a treat after the top tapered washer is removed.

Springs did turn out to be original - upon closer inspection they had white stripes.

Also turned out that while the front-right strut had a bolt hole ground out, presumably to change camber, the front-left did not! I can't imagine why you'd want to change the camber of one front wheel only - maybe an alignment shop did it at some point to get something in spec? Seems strange.

Either way all sorted now, and the new shocks are excellent. Very firm as you say Ron, but the front of the car is incredibly flat through twisties and dampens any fast bumps surprisingly smoothly. The front of the car is planted firmly, loads of grip.

For the record:

1995 E36 M3 3.0, stock springs.

Bilstein B6 Sport.

Front RH = 35-042389 (VE3-4238)

Front LH = 35-042372 (VE3-4237)

Edited by MLee

Hi, I am working through what shocks i am going to run in my 94 m3 and wondered how the b6 shocks lasted? Also have you done anything spring wise to lower the front end?

Sent from my SM-N910U using Tapatalk

My B6's are fine some 40k kms in. Was using stock springs and bars for a while then swapped to Eibach and that made quite a difference really, no doubt because they're designed for one and other. It's a bit lower but not much. Using 15mm spring pads in the rear so my 255/18's clear.

• Like 1