Sign in to follow this  
Rubix

Estoril e36 328i Coupe

Christmas!
10fz66a.jpg
Full manual conversion, ZF gearbox with M3 clutch, pressure plate, single mass flywheel. All I'm missing is a shifter knob. ZHP time.

Right, which ATF is best recommended for these gearboxes? Price not an issue for good fluids. Most forums are US and don't really help with this answer.

Edited by Rubix

Hey did you get the emails I sent with receipts and previous owners details?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hey did you get the emails I sent with receipts and previous owners details?

Sure did - Sorry have been rather busy with work and competition prep so haven't had much time at all to sit down and check emails etc.

Side note - Guys with e36 M3's or 5sp 328i's (specifically ZF 5sp gbox) or - what ATF should I be running in the ZF box? Very mixed opinions online. Would usually run Redline MT-90 in my cars however that's MTF and My ZF box is an orange stickered one asking for ATF.

Got my boot lip spoiler and halo rings, haven't installed the halos yet as I'm not sure I'm convinced on them yet.
Installed lip spoiler quickly after work today, really like it, matches the lines of the e36 similarly to how the same spoiler matches an e39 M5.

Can tell my car has been garaged during it's life. I got this spoiler painted and shipped from ebay (To order) - $76ish NZD shipped.
Painted in #335 Estoril blue and matches the car perfectly, indicating that the car has had no color fade at all over the years. Very good quality spoiler and quick shipping, I'm impressed.
Quick pic as the light is disappearing.
ke7ker.jpg

Also redid all my interior lights with White LED's when I got home, took all of 3 minutes. Looks much better already although I'll see when it's pitch black out how it looks.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 3

i ran Redline ATF D4 in my M3 and it shifted like butter. Its good stuff.

• Like 1

i ran Redline ATF D4 in my M3 and it shifted like butter. Its good stuff.

Awesome, thanks Kelvin. Sold!

To confirm from what I'm seeing, should be about 1.2L to fill it?

Edited by Rubix

too long ago to remember, but i had two 1qt bottles and i still have some left over. Have car level and fill until it starts to come out the fill hole.

Can confirm that, a little more than one bottle (quart each) from memory. I also run Redline ATF D4 and it's good stuff.

• Like 1

Also I really like that boot lip spoiler! Where on ebay did you find that gem? (Often they don't fit/made out crap etc.)

Redline D4 ATF ordered yesterday and was at my door this morning. Just waiting on shift knob to arrive and should hopefully have conversion completed next weekend (Should be working on it sat/sun).

Also I really like that boot lip spoiler! Where on ebay did you find that gem? (Often they don't fit/made out crap etc.)

Here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Painted-DUSA-Rear-Trunk-Lip-Spoiler-Wing-For-BMW-3-Series-E36-1991-98-Coupe-/281790155407?vxp=mtr
Can definitely attest to the quality being good - Paint was perfect, they're painted to order. Received within 2 weeks of payment.

I had to message them about whether or not they could do Estoril, but they were able to.

Edited by Rubix

Surgery tomorrow.
Let us all pray that the car comes out the other side as a man...ual with no hiccups.

• Like 3

Ive got the correct 2.96 rear diff I brought for my conversion but since it's a getrag not a zf with the auto diff is still 1:1 in Fifth so no longer needed. And also recommend redline d4 ATF.

2 Day surgery as it turns out.
Dropped all the auto parts yesterday, was being messed around trying to find a Spigot bearing - have got one now.
Current status: Flywheel bolted up to engine, pedals are installed, clutch hard line installed.
Need to bolt up clutch and pressure plate, gearbox, crossmember, driveshaft and shifter assembly, reinstall all heat shielding, exhaust and all the other in-the-way things we've taken out etc, then wiring and can turn key.

With any luck it'll be done by early arvo and will be driveable.

• Like 3

It's as if it were like this from factory..( :D)

Stoked. Finished at around 4.15pm today. Installed gearbox in the pissing down rain in under 20 minutes with 2 people, a jack and a lot of swearing. Stopped raining immediately after.

Definitely wakes the whole car up, gearbox is nice, clutch is nice, sits at 3krpm in 5th at 100kph which is fine.
Completely transformed the car, am ridiculously happy with it.

Overall about a 12 hour job for 2 people, had to take a few breaks as I didn't receive a few things with my conversion (Spigot bearing, driveshaft bolts, reverse light plug for gearbox, shifter selector arm pin), so had to run around getting them.
2mrfh9l.jpg

Also picking up new BBS RG 17x8 in gunmetal tomorrow - will look nice.
Will refurb and sell the BBS RX-204's.

Edited by Rubix
  • Like 6

'Onya Dion!

makes a massive improvement to the car for sure. (im still short a reverse plug, shhh)

it seems you must have a 3.23ish ratio diff in there then. the M3 is spot on 3k at 110, 2850+- at 100. the 328i with a 3.07 is a 2700+- at 100k. No Diff swap FTW!

• Like 1

Good effort. Looking forward to see what it goes like in comparison

• Like 1

What did you do in regards to computer? Mine runs like balls and needs reflashed as a manual it would seem.

'Onya Dion!

makes a massive improvement to the car for sure. (im still short a reverse plug, shhh)

it seems you must have a 3.23ish ratio diff in there then. the M3 is spot on 3k at 110, 2850+- at 100. the 328i with a 3.07 is a 2700+- at 100k. No Diff swap FTW!

Cheers Glen! Really does improve all aspects of it. Feels like my old nz new manual 323ci, just a fair bit quicker.

Interesting re: ratio. Glad I don't have to swap the diff, although I'll likely be looking at putting an LSD centre into the current diff to preserve the ratio, unless a whole LSD unit is cheaper when I'm looking. :)

Good effort. Looking forward to see what it goes like in comparison

Thanks Richard, it's a night and day difference.

What did you do in regards to computer? Mine runs like balls and needs reflashed as a manual it would seem.

It shouldn't need anything done at all. If you read online about it it makes no difference at all, so you might have other issues if it's not running well?

Edited by Rubix

My 323i had issues with revs hanging between gear changes. Apparently common with manual conversions using auto ecu. i just learnt to drive around it. Otherwise it ran fine on the auto ecu, with the tcu removed.

Looks much better in manual, and i know the feeling of that first drive. So good. Well done.

• Like 1

I've still got my tcu plugged in as advised by u.s forums but that was for obd1. Might start there first

Edited by euroriffic

My 323i had issues with revs hanging between gear changes. Apparently common with manual conversions using auto ecu. i just learnt to drive around it. Otherwise it ran fine on the auto ecu, with the tcu removed.

Looks much better in manual, and i know the feeling of that first drive. So good. Well done.

I have the same in my 328i, its fine when its cold, revs drop like a stone. when it gets warm revs hang between shifts, worst when driving lightly and shifting between 2.5k-3.25k. i notice it a lot less when giving it a bit of a boot up the guts. TCU still plugged in, i haven't got around to removing it yet. NZ new so ZF auto box FWIW.

have you noticed anything like that Dion ?

first drive of mine after converting it i hit a 3m x 5m patch of ice... talk about exhilarating...

Cheers Glen! Really does improve all aspects of it. Feels like my old nz new manual 323ci, just a fair bit quicker.

Interesting re: ratio. Glad I don't have to swap the diff, although I'll likely be looking at putting an LSD centre into the current diff to preserve the ratio, unless a whole LSD unit is cheaper when I'm looking. :)

I would look into ebay, i landed my center for under $400 nz inc air freight, freight was a killer though as they are quite a hefty little unit. if you had time to kill you could do it cheaper by using sea freight through kiwi shipping or the like. all exchange rate dependant though, the dollar was pretty good when i got mine.

have seen medium case centres in nz go for $500-750, full diffs from $750-1000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/diffs-axles/auction-950494648.htm%C2'>

this looks like your best bet at the moment given the current price, pull the centre out and drop it into yours, done deal.

Hi guys, just completed a manual conversion (getrag rather than ZF) on my import 1995/96 328i too.

I've also got the rev hang issue and looking to try a trick I found last night.

Apparently it's mostly caused by the ICV, and you can reduce the effect of it by shoving an 11mm 1/4 drive socket into the ICV to intake boot pipe.

I'm going to give it a crack and will report back if it helps!

I've also still got the check engine light after my conversion. Is the TCU a separate box or a chip in the main ECU case? If the latter is it as easy as cracking open the case and removing the right chip? sounds too easy!

• Like 2

And sorry for the thread jack! Mint looking 328i too Dion, and great progress in the short time you have had it :) The manual sure does wake these cars up!

Edited by russellc2
  • Like 1