Sign in to follow this  
Cheyne_Oo

M50 intake on m52b28

Hey guys

Im Just wondering if anyone can help me.

What parts are involved with a m50 intake conversion any help would be good!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You'll probably get grilled for posting this as its been covered many times in old posts.

It's also been shown to spoil the low-mid range torque of the M52B28, so you end up making less torque.

Leave it as is and do a nice header for the exhaust then get it remaped

• Like 1

come drive my 328i coupe , light flywheel , 6.5kg , headers 3.15 diff 5spd m50 manifold

goes really well , but I would not do it to a automatic car

I can handle a bit of grilling haha, dont come on here much but thanks for the info, and I will probably leave it as is if that is the case, just want a little more power anything I can get would be good cheers anyway

is you r cat a manual ?? or auto . do a manual conversion 1st if it is not

• Like 2

Oh no, not this again.

Has been proven to release a couple extra hp at the very top end of the rev range but at the expense of midrange torque, as Micheal said earlier. Power gains are fairly minimal, not really enough to be noticeable to the butt-dyno. Lightened flywheel would mask the effect of the lost torque in a manual, but will be very counter productive with a slushbox.

Look for a set of S50 headers, will net you 12-15hp plus a few extra torques. Best $1000 you'll spend on the car, bang for buck wise. Decat the exhaust and maybe an aftermarket muffler and thats really about all you can do with the engine unless you go down the FI route.

• Like 2

Oh no, not this again.

Has been proven to release a couple extra hp at the very top end of the rev range but at the expense of midrange torque, as Micheal said earlier. Power gains are fairly minimal, not really enough to be noticeable to the butt-dyno. Lightened flywheel would mask the effect of the lost torque in a manual, but will be very counter productive with a slushbox.

Look for a set of S50 headers, will net you 12-15hp plus a few extra torques. Best $1000 you'll spend on the car, bang for buck wise. Decat the exhaust and maybe an aftermarket muffler and thats really about all you can do with the engine unless you go down the FI route.

Thanks mate, thats a real help gives me an idea what direction to go, my car is an auto and do plan on keeping it that way (for now) will be doing the exhaust at some point soon, is there anything else other than that I can do?

Thanks mate, thats a real help gives me an idea what direction to go, my car is an auto and do plan on keeping it that way (for now) will be doing the exhaust at some point soon, is there anything else other than that I can do?

Power gain wise, not really. Most BMW engines are tuned to the reliable limits, so pod filters and other such gimmickry tend to lose power, not increase it.

Im assuming your car has 150,000km+, if thats the case then definitely gut / replace / remove the cats as they're well beyond their intended lifespan. A Remus / Supersprint / Eisenmann / Borla backbox will make it sound nicer, but will do nothing for your ETs.

Aggressive cams will generally shift the powerband to the right, and are only really noticeable with a good 'zorst, headers, DME remap. So realistically you're spending 4-5k to get any real results. A good turbo setup will probably run you in excess of 7k for parts & labour - add your cert to the tab too.

I converted mine to manual & added an LSD as the first step. Upgraded shocks and springs with a combination of Koni, Bilstein and Eibach bits, replaced most of the bushes with nolathane too. Currently swapping the engine and DME for an alloy block & Megasquirt as phase 3 with S50B32 headers and a single pipe exhaust running to a Remus backbox. Last step will be chuck a rusty hood and an M3 bumper at it and call it a day. Maybe some 330i brakes but I'll see if it really needs them first. Throw it around Hampton / Puke a couple times for shits n giggles and then on to the GMC project.

The best improvements are often suspension renewals with these cars.

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Edited by Ahmedsinc

which auto does it have the Japanese jatco type are pretty rubbish , the nz new cars had the much better ZF type

diff swap may improve things

but really a 5spd manual swap is the only thing worth doing

all else would be a waste of money

Power gain wise, not really. Most BMW engines are tuned to the reliable limits, so pod filters and other such gimmickry tend to lose power, not increase it.

Im assuming your car has 150,000km+, if thats the case then definitely gut / replace / remove the cats as they're well beyond their intended lifespan. A Remus / Supersprint / Eisenmann / Borla backbox will make it sound nicer, but will do nothing for your ETs.

Aggressive cams will generally shift the powerband to the right, and are only really noticeable with a good 'zorst, headers, DME remap. So realistically you're spending  4-5k to get any real results. A good turbo setup will probably run you in excess of 7k for parts & labour - add your cert to the tab too.

I converted mine to manual & added an LSD as the first step. Upgraded shocks and springs with a combination of Koni, Bilstein and Eibach bits, replaced most of the bushes with nolathane too. Currently swapping the engine and DME for an alloy block & Megasquirt as phase 3 with S50B32 headers and a single pipe exhaust running to a Remus backbox. Last step will be chuck a rusty hood and an M3 bumper at it and call it a day. Maybe some 330i brakes but I'll see if it really needs them first. Throw it around Hampton / Puke a couple times for shits n  giggles and then on to the GMC project.

The best improvements are often suspension renewals with these cars. 

Edit: stupid autocorrect

Haha looks like iv been looking at it wrong this whole time, I will definitely be looking into the exhaust side of it and also do a few more upgrades to suspension swaybars, links, and new bushes here and there, and see where I can go from there, huge help.

Thanks heaps.