Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E46 Headers

Does anyone have experience with headers on their E46? I was looking at these ones on TM but having to modify the o2 sensor doesn't seem right.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/auction-941979903.htm

• Like 1

Dunno if they'll make any real difference in power. 4-6 seem quite short and 1-3 aren't even close to being equal length. Might make it sound a little nicer though.

Now, these http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/engines/auction-944192847.htm , on the other hand, will make a difference to output and tone. Almost twice the money but I figure if the M boffins gave them the OK then they're probably pretty good.

Edited by Ahmedsinc

Yes the M3 Headers would be the best bet I'm sure, Is it worth getting a tune if I fit the M3 headers?

Ok who in Wellington can do the tune or do I just buy an off the shelf tune?

M3 headers would be MUUUUUUUUUUCH better they let out 12 kW on the same M52 B28

It might pay to double check the compatibility of E46 M3 headers, i might be wrong but i thought the 3 bolt exhaust manifold flange was specific to the S54. The M54 is a 4 bolt flange, a set of S50 headers might fit?

Ok it looks like the flanges are completely different so thats the end of that option.

Dont write it off entirely mate, if you grabbed a set of M52 headers and took both sets to a shop they can cut the S54 flange off and replace it with the M52. M50, M52, M54 & S50 all share the same bolt pattern so theres plenty of options. Granted it wont be the cheapest option but it'll be far superior to those ones on trademe, I really don't see how they'd be any improvement on the stock ones currently on your 330i.

Or if you have a friend with a Tig setup you could do it for the cost of beer & consumables ;)

I guess its starting to be a cost thing now I could be up for well over a grand on this, I will have look at what options there are in the UK, there shipping is slightly cheaper than the US so it may be an option yet.

Ok how much work is required to make the S50 headers fit. I guess I would like to know, will they clear the steering shaft, and how much work to connect them to the rest of the exhaust as I gather they wont just bolt up?

You can get your car tuned in Wellington at Speedtech out in Seaview.

Excellent thanks for that I knew Speedtech had a good rep with Evos, LS engines and Subys so its nice to know BMW's are on the list as well.