Sign in to follow this  
Breaker

My E38 740i Sunday Spruceup

The new grills are awesome. Very tidy. I need to get a set of these myself.

Is that oil leak coming from the rocker cover gasket?

Cheers Dave, yeah the grills do freshen up the front. Yip looks like rocker cover gasket which if that's all it's is I'd be pretty happy.

Not the hardest one it could be !

• Like 1

I believe you get both gaskets in the set so it would be the perfect time to put a bit of fresh paint on the covers.. ;)

• Like 1

OK, Deep Breath - Valve cover gasket work now. Pulled it all apart, removed the covers. (clean and paint them before they go back on)

Pretty easy find on the left bank, gasket goo everywhere and a big split in the gasket, none of it looks that old either, likely a shitty job previously.

Pulled the right bank and that was good but a different gasket, points to the left being done in isolation and buggered up.

Pretty happy, never really done anything like this so confidence inspiring for the next job, whatever it may be!

post-52086-0-41318400-1447473532_thumb.j

post-52086-0-99044500-1447473612_thumb.j

Left side pre clean up

post-52086-0-82062900-1447473726_thumb.j

Post clean up

post-52086-0-46611100-1447473764_thumb.j

Right side pretty much no clean up needed, easy wipe down

Now cover cleanup and paint tomorrow for when the it goes back together

Edited by Breaker

Cool so when is the E38 meet? just no drag races, a 2.8 is wicked in a 3 series hmm not to much in a 7 lol

• Like 2

I'll be sorted for Dec meet but we could do a Taupo run and meet sometime lol, all the E38s around would be impressive

I'll be sorted for Dec meet but we could do a Taupo run and meet sometime lol, all the E38s around would be impressive

i think I have decided to bring my E38 for that meet instead of the cabby now

Was a guy here Jarad (Eagle) that used to be a regular here, he tracked a 740i at the first of the annual Bimmersport Taupo trackdays (non this year sadface.jpg), it did very well, plenty of body roll but still looked very tidy all considering.

• Like 1

Bonus is your engine looks like it's been well maintained. Nice n clean inside.

I'm definitely up for that. Would be very cool to have a bunch of 7's out for a cruise.

We will have to see what the new year brings, sounds like a damn fine idea I say ;)

Valve cover clean up, paint removal scrubbing with wire brush and steel wool after some paint remover. Came up ok.

Couple of coats of primer and then a couple of top coat, ultimately happy with the results, will look great back on, can't wait

post-52086-0-47886300-1447562765_thumb.j

Pre paint remover and scrubbing, pretty ratty all round

post-52086-0-24500000-1447562815_thumb.j

Looking sharp with a nice Aluminium finish

ugh, so much orange gasket poo. Hate how some people just cant do a job properly. Good work on the fix.

Valve covers are looking good too, keen to see what the silver looks like in the engine bay.

• Like 1

ugh, so much orange gasket poo. Hate how some people just cant do a job properly. Good work on the fix.

Valve covers are looking good too, keen to see what the silver looks like in the engine bay.

No excuse for it in some places but I have used it from time to time, as long as it's used correctly as a replacement for the gasket and not as used above as a joiner reusing what's left of the old genuine gasket

• Like 1

Gasket goop is awful if not used just right.

I had my cam covers off last night on the 1UZ, they run a lovely rubber seal thats easily replaced if tired. Logical!

• Like 1

No more leaks :) BEAUTY and purrs like a baby ! Just been for nice drive in the rain

Might leave the engine cover kinda like it that way.

post-52086-0-29671800-1448074147_thumb.j

• Like 1

Next its booked into Carfolie for tints on our Auckland trip, upper windscreen seal and lower cowl under wipers to get sorted as well.

OK so got home from the ECC meet today, great to catch up with you guys and meet some new people. Even fluked having Dave in convoy to Hamilton, E3 style :)

Had ordered a 2 degrees sim card to play around with and try and get the phone setup sorted, so it had arrived and out to the car.

Popped the full size credit card in and low and behold it fires up, registers and works! Thought I'd have to make a template to positon it right etc but nope perfect first time.

So now my retro phone works sweet and is hands free option as well. Man you got to love 90s tech ;)

Big shout out to Carfolie as well for the sweet tint job I got on Friday while up, very happy with the look. Will post some pics tomorrow for those not at the ECC meet

• Like 1

One shitty pic of tints

post-52086-0-63585900-1449391669_thumb.j

• Like 1

Having seen how good yours looked Brent I'm thinking I'll have to get the tints done in the 750i again.

• Like 1

OK so the boss has decided that she quite likes the E38s drivability and comfort/ quietness and wants to use it for her daily for a while.

Good news for the E61 its only got 62k on it and will likely quietly tick along a few thou a year now, unless we trip out to the SI later this year but that'll only be 3k round trip.

Either way I'll still drive the E38 or E61 weekends when we're out like we have, so no losses here :)

E38 heading to 210k and due for oil change shortly, will do the gear box fluid and filter change as well

• Like 2

The Boss might want you to get her one of her own soon. :D

The Boss might want you to get her one of her own soon. :D

The thought has crossed my mind, there was a cheap 2000 728 popped up last week, gone now which had some nice facelift bits on it which I was tempted in to transfer to ours, she would want a 740 again though. I'll quietly look for a 2001/2 one to turn up ;) haha

So last couple of days had a bit of rough running, figgering it was a coil, but was intermittent . So scanner on, cyc 7 injector issue.

Checked coil and changed it over to double check, no change, so not coils.

Bit of Google help and checked the wiring into the injectors first, bingo, one of the plastic connectors into the top of the injector on 7 got brittle and the right wire was bouncing in and out, easy fix, back running sweet :) :)

post-52086-0-75816900-1451893813_thumb.j

post-52086-0-60118000-1451893858_thumb.j

Edited by Breaker
  • Like 2

Oil change and brake fluid replacement today, brakes have been a bit soft and wasn't sure when it's was last changed so figured best swap it out. Much improved :)

• Like 1

Windscreen upper seal ripped out and replaced, about 10min and then 30 min cleaning up all the old silicon from the PO who figured it was easier to do that then replace it, heaps better $42.

Lower windscreen cowl under wipers replaced, total fallen apart and perished like BMW plastics do, $128. Pretty simple, hardest getting the wipers off.

Pics don't really do justice to the overall improvement factor, very happy

post-52086-0-14110500-1454915435_thumb.j

post-52086-0-14148000-1454915459_thumb.j

• Like 2

Where did you source the lower cowl? This is something I need to replace on the 740i.

Nice work by the way.