Sign in to follow this  
Kruz

1998 525i (e39?) fan clutch tool

Hey folks, first timer here, so excuse my lack of knowledge of the models / series of vehicles. The rego on my 525i says 1998 is the year, but it's all alloy top to bottom, which some websites suggest didnt happen until 1999 onwards, so I am completely lost there. It's a Japanese import vehivle anyway.

I am replacing the thermostat housing, or at least thought I was, until figuring out that the fan needed to come off the pump. I have eBayed, and Ali-Exed these, but would prefer to be able to get this job done sooner than 1 months away, so I wondered if the local community could help me out with the "rental" of a set of fan tools for a week, to speed up the process.

I understand that tools are traditionally a sacred item you dont even lend to friends, let alone some random on a message board, so I am more than willing to pay a sum of money up front if that helped. I would not normally, ask, but the car needs to be back on the road asap. I have read about "tapping", and screwdriver jamming the fan etc, but my spanner set maxes out at 30mm unfortunately.

thanks for your time.

I have the 32mm spanner from BMW, but not the pulley holder. If you're lucky whacking the spanner with a hammer will be enough to get it to budge. Also remember it is reverse thread so clockwise to loosen.

I'm working on my cooling system this week. If you can't find anything else by next week I'm happy to send it down for you to use, just pay the postage :~)

Get a Bicycle Headset wrench form a bike shop, They are cheap and perfect as they are thin. I bought one about 6 years ago and still use it to this day every time I come across fan clutch removals.

I've never had an issue with using a screwdriver in the bolts.

Thanks for the replies troops. I hadn't thought about bike spanners, and yet I am a mountian biker from way back, with a heap of tools..... sometimes I wonder how I remember to put trousers on in the morning. If I have no luck there, I will come back to you thanks Toby.

32 wrench + big mallet. hammer wrench clockwise with force = fan removed.

I have the tools. you can borrow. Mt Wellington area. Contact me anytime

later cars have plastic belt pulleys - screwdriver in teh bolts can crack them.

I use the thump method, never had a problem.