Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Mercedes W126 500SE

A car I have always wanted. I've had 4 W126s in the past - an Astral Silver II 300SE, A Nautic Blue Brabus 300SE-3.2, a Smoke Silver 560SEC (with Oz rims) and a Blue-black 500SEC.

Last week I bought a black 500SE. 1988, ex-Hong Kong (so sadly no cruise control), but it's in pretty good nick. Needs a new thermostat as the engine doesn't come up to temp, a pair of tyres on the front, the drivers seat bolster has worn through, and the surrounds where the seatbelts come through the top of the B-pillar are missing. The odo reset doesn't work (and neither do the dash lights, but same control so probably same problem) and the paint is pretty good unless you look closely. Lots of little scratches and the like.

But it doesn't leak anything, there's no rust anywhere, it runs sweet as, and the things that are usually broken, aren't. The electric seat controls are all present and working, and even the centre console wood is perfect. Checking fluids shows oil to not be perfect, but it's obviously been changed in the last 2000km or so, the trans fluid appears to have been changed, and even the PS fluid is the right colour and consistency. Someone has spent some time on servicing.

I'm very happy. :D

I initially toyed with the idea of going the AMG-clone route, but have decided not to do that. I'll update the EMS (more power and better economy, although probably not at the same time!), swap the current 15x7 rims for some 16x8/9s (perhaps Lorinser LOs if I can find any), update the suspension and reprogram the gearbox for faster changes. And obviously sort all the little things.

It's a great car. I have no plans to spoil it.

mercedes-300se-640x2831_zpsfj8izlgg.jpg

(This is actually a 300SE, but our 500SE looks pretty much identical.)

Edited by gjm
  • Like 3

Love these. Well done Graham.

The last of the real Mercedes IMO.

Be sure to bring it to the next Penrose coffee meet if you can! (October 4th)

• Like 1

Love these. Well done Graham.

The last of the real Mercedes IMO.

Be sure to bring it to the next Penrose coffee meet if you can! (October 4th)

Yup. Definitely a real Mercedes. :)

If I give myself a couple of weeks it may just about be enough to polish several acres of black paintwork!

:)

Last one I drove was a 1988 white 300SE, it wasn't bad but needed a good bit of work, had bad left pulling brakes and an oil gasket leak onto the exhaust.

But the ride and experience was enjoyable.

I think if I ever wondered down the Mercedes path It would be a 560SEC, I think those are to die for,

My 560 was gorgeous.

560SECFL-1.jpg

Here's a dyno curve from a M117-5.0; I feel power is a bit down on where the euro-spec engines would be, but not enough to worry about. The 5.6 engines would be about 8% higher. Nice torque curve. :)

M117%20curves_zpsnmquay9z.jpg

• Like 1

Graham, I have a set of Lorinsers (not sure what style) off my wife's old 124.

They are in a rather sorry state, but they're just sitting in the back shed.

From memory there are a couple of missing center roundels and sure at least one inner is cracked, they are a three piece rim.

I'll see if I can find any info/photos without having to get off my ass.

cheers Matt

Edited by MattA
  • Like 1

Lady at work has one... with 52,000 kms on it!

does she only work one day a week lol

• Like 1

Graham, I have a set of Lorinsers (not sure what style) off my wife's old 124.

They are in a rather sorry state, but they're just sitting in the back shed.

From memory there are a couple of missing center roundels and sure at least one inner is cracked, they are a three piece rim.

I'll see if I can find any info/photos without having to get off my ass.

cheers Matt

Thanks Matt - much appreciated.

Hi Graham,

They're 18” Lorinser RSK3's.

I'll get a photo and details over the w/end.

cheers Matt

• Like 1

does she only work one day a week lol

Nah... she had a Volvo that she managed to get to go on most occasions, so the Merc stayed cosy in the garage.

Hi Graham,

They're 8J / 18" ET 36.

cheers Matt

post-176-0-44061100-1442119418_thumb.jpg

Off the top of my head w124 rims will not fit on 126s (?).

Great cars. Used to have a nz new 560sec. Euro spec so the full 300hp. Made 167kw at the wheels with 255k on the clock.

I've had a look at the 560sec on trademe in Levin. UK import, and unfortunately plagued with rust around and under neath the parcel tray.

Also had a look at the 560sel that was on the market in Auckland for a while a couple of months ago... Described as concours condition but was far from it, although not a dog just needed some tlc mainly cosmetic. He wanted 12500, I would have paid maybe 8-8500.

Off the top of my head w124 rims will not fit on 126s (?).

You're right - they won't fit the W126. Well, they can, but you'd need to use spacers and that's something I prefer not to do.

However.... They will fit on my 190E. I'd not thought of going the larger diameter rims route, but may just do that.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1