Sign in to follow this  
jonoe30

E30 shocks/springs replacement

I’m wanting to change the springs/shocks on my ’91 E30 325i Convertible. A PO has fitted aftermarket springs that have lowered the car ~45mm (currently 310mm front, 320mm rear – height from centre of wheel to top or arch). It is still on standard Sachs shocks, so needless to say the ride is terrible. I have become very diligent at avoiding minor road imperfections to avoid hitting the bump stops constantly.

I don’t want to go back to stock springs and have the massive stock fender gap at the front. It’s my daily driver and won’t see any track use. I don’t mind/like firm suspension, I just want to avoid having an overly jarring ride/hit bump stops regularly. I’m currently thinking about one of two options:

Option 1: M Technic spring set (apparently still available according to Pelican Parts) and Bilstein HD (B6) shocks, with 3mm spring seat at front and 5mm at rear. (Lowering height over stock anyone? I read in US forums anything between nothing and 15mm)

Option 2: H&R sport springs and Bilstein Sport (B8) shocks, with 9mm spring seat at front and 10mm spring seat at rear (I’m only specifying these as I don’t want to go too low). (H&R springs lowering apparently 1.4” at front .75” at rear)

(Both of the above options are with the convertible specific springs to carry extra weight at rear)

My question is, does anyone happen to run a similar setup on their E30 and how do they find this on NZ roads (subjective I know), or any other suggested setups? Also if anyone runs either kit, how much did they find it actually lowered the car?

• Like 1

Would love to hear if anyone has experience with either of these two shock/spring options.

I was about to post the exact same question.

Anyone?

Bilstein B12 shocks and Eibach Pro kit springs. Lowers 30mm when compared to stock, maintains superb ride and handling.

Bilstein B12 shocks and Eibach Pro kit springs. Lowers 30mm when compared to stock, maintains superb ride and handling.

Is this coming from experience? If so, do you have a photo?

Currenlty looking at Bilstein (B8's) paired with H&R sport springs.

Is this coming from experience? If so, do you have a photo?

Currenlty looking at Bilstein (B8's) paired with H&R sport springs.

I think the front actually comes down by 35mm. Obviously there's more adjustment in the pads if you feel so inclined.

We had this setup fitted to Mrs M's E30 320i back in the UK. Not sure if I have any pics but I'll have a look. Ride was excellent - at least as good as stock.

I think the H&R springs drop 40mm?

I got cold feet on the bilstein B6's, read some bad reviews and it got me thinking about how crappy Wellington roads are. Couldn't find anyone who could get B8's in less than 3 months with out crazy shipping fees so Iv opted for Koni sports as they have the adjustable dampening, will be here next week and were around the same price as the bilsteins. So I can't vouch for the ride quality yet but they seem to be a popular choice. I'm going with xyz adjustable camber plates to get around the strut nut size issue people seem to have with the newer versions of the koni's. I am really happy with the H & R sport springs though. I posted this in a similar thread but again here is the ride height with the H & R sport springs and e90 top hats. 0ae2947ff677e858607b326e89f77557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by adro

Ah Adro, I see you have seen my thread...

As for heights differences with the B12 kit, see here:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/54588-e30-touring-m52-swap/?p=597892

Will be slightly different seeing as it's a touring, but you get the idea.

Ride is pretty cushy, but still responsive as Graham says.

H&Rs would be a lot firmer, and also offer more of a drop. An excellent choice though, and something that I'm considering moving to later on.

Hi Nick, yeah I saw your thread! Thanks, you have saved me an unpleasant pain in the ass surprise. Good excuse to get some adjustable camber plates. I want the ride ever so slightly higher in the rear, have got new 10mm Spring pads to go in but have been looking at IE's urethane donut that gives you back 8mm. Anyone tried them? Or have a local option for the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk