Sign in to follow this  
melons

e36 manual conversion - does it all interchange?

Hey guys,

I have the option of purchasing complete manual conversion bits and pieces from e36 318i.

Now, we own an e36 318ti and e36 323i, both autos.

Would love to put manual tranny in the 323i and make it a true drivers car, but could always put it in the Ti and leave 323i alone.

I have done a bit of googling and appears that manual conversion kit could be put into both. Appears that box will bolt up, flywheels are interchangeable, both have 4 bolt driveshafts.

Questions for the experienced:

Is the above correct?

Is there anything hidden that could cause issues when trying to swap across? (other than the new bolts, gaskets, seals etc to purchase when all apart).

Very tempted to buy to put away, and do conversion at some point, but only if Im not going to lumped with parts that I cant use.

Cheers in advance

:)

yes everything is able to go into either cars, although to put in a 6 cylinder you will need to have the shifter arms shortened by about 20mm

we currently have 2 manual conversions here 1 at $500 and the other at $700, pm me if you would like to know more

get the correct shift linkages for a 6cy, dont cut and weld them. had that done when i converted my 323i and the shifting was crap at best, replacing the linkages fixed everything.