Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

LSD Small case help

Hi guys,

A 3.91 small case LSD has come up for sale. Wondering whether it's worth it or not for my 325i project. Any cons with a small case?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Not designed to take the torque from the bigger engines. Pretty well documented on the interwebs, they don't last too long when given a hard time.

Medium case LS pumpkins are around if you know where to look. Kayne Barrie is a good guy to start with, Geoff on here, Ray, Brent, or even bring in a couple from overseas. Keep one for yourself and sell the others to make a few bucks back.

Not designed to take the torque from the bigger engines. Pretty well documented on the interwebs, they don't last too long when given a hard time.

Medium case LS pumpkins are around if you know where to look. Kayne Barrie is a good guy to start with, Geoff on here, Ray, Brent, or even bring in a couple from overseas. Keep one for yourself and sell the others to make a few bucks back.

Yeah from what i had read they arent suitable, just wanting to know what people have experienced. With my plan right now being future-proofing, it sounds like there is no point going down the small case road.

Thanks for the heads up! Ill try tack one down using the routes you have suggested.

Im running a small case in my 2.5 e30 have had no problems yet and has been in for around a year and a half i drive mine everyday, how much did you get offered one for?

Im running a small case in my 2.5 e30 have had no problems yet and has been in for around a year and a half i drive mine everyday, how much did you get offered one for?

In the $700 region The guy seemed to e fishing for the highest offer and used the $700 more as a starting point it seemed

Oh ok not to be rude but are you going to buy it? If not could i get his contact number off you

Hi guys,

A 3.91 small case LSD has come up for sale. Wondering whether it's worth it or not for my 325i project. Any cons with a small case?

Thanks

You sure it's not a medium case ? Small case has 4 bolts on the bearing carrier of the diff case, medium case has six bolts. Don't confuse the diff carrier bolt holes with the side shaft bolt holes, they all have six

You sure it's not a medium case ? Small case has 4 bolts on the bearing carrier of the diff case, medium case has six bolts. Don't confuse the diff carrier bolt holes with the side shaft bolt holes, they all have six

The seller told me it was small case, going off of that. It's alrite I'm sure I'll find another one eventually

is this for E30 or E46?

I have never heard of a small case LSD before....

Nor have I .... but I'm over 20 years of age

no idea what your age comment means? maybe a joke for the over 50s?

is this for E30 or E46?

For the E30

We run a small case lsd in steves new E46 2 lt race car. I got the center from the states. Hard to find but some around start around a grand in price

It's been sold so far as I'm aware. For a 'fun' daily driver and maybe the odd track day however, what's the best ratio recommendation?

Oh ok not to be rude but are you going to buy it? If not could i get his contact number off you

Not rude at all, but sorry man its been sold a couple days back so far as I'm aware

It's been sold so far as I'm aware. For a 'fun' daily driver and maybe the odd track day however, what's the best ratio recommendation?

Depends on whether you want faster acceleration or higher top speed. Going behind an auto or a manual? What ratio is in it currently? Do you want a complete bolt in unit or are you able to swap the internals correctly yourself? Entirely subjective and relative to your situations and ambitions. Details, and go!

Depends on whether you want faster acceleration or higher top speed. Going behind an auto or a manual? What ratio is in it currently? Do you want a complete bolt in unit or are you able to swap the internals correctly yourself? Entirely subjective and relative to your situations and ambitions. Details, and go!

Well it'll be on daily duty, but don't want very tall gearing because I do want to see the odd track day and have some good B road fun on the weekends. It is manual right now, converted from auto. No clue what the diff is currently, I'd guess whatever was stock on a auto 323i. I don't have the expertise to swap the internals myself. Kind of need a bolt in option.

Thanks man!

Guesses lead to dumb mistakes. Chances are whoever did the conversion probably swapped the diff too. Stick your nose under the car and read what the tag on the diff says. If theres no tag, get the ass of the car up on stands, make an indicator mark with chalk from the driveshaft through to the diff housing and another at 12 o'clock on a rear wheel. slowly turn the driveshaft through one complete revolution and have a buddy count how many times the wheel turns. 3.64:1 = 3.64 revolutions of the output to the input, output being wheel where input is driveshaft.

3.07, 3.15 & 3.23 ratios can be a little hard to decipher using that method but it'll be close enough to get an accurate idea.

Oh, and it will also help to know which gearbox was used in your car too.

• Like 1

Guesses lead to dumb mistakes. Chances are whoever did the conversion probably swapped the diff too. Stick your nose under the car and read what the tag on the diff says. If theres no tag, get the ass of the car up on stands, make an indicator mark with chalk from the driveshaft through to the diff housing and another at 12 o'clock on a rear wheel. slowly turn the driveshaft through one complete revolution and have a buddy count how many times the wheel turns. 3.64:1 = 3.64 revolutions of the output to the input, output being wheel where input is driveshaft.

3.07, 3.15 & 3.23 ratios can be a little hard to decipher using that method but it'll be close enough to get an accurate idea.

The manual conversion was done by us, but car hasn't been started and is up on the hoist. We didn't change the diff during the install. While it's getting a few things done I thought might as well, the diff has got to come out as it's hunky and needs a full on clean so I'll check the tag then.

Also running a getrag 260.

Thanks man!

Sometimes the tag on the diff will say 3 numbers, like "3.64" or similar which means 3.64:1 of course.

Sometimes it will have 4 numbers, like 40:11 which means 40 teeth on crown and 11 on pinion, 40 divide by 11 is 3.64 as well. some people sell these as 4.10 because they dont understand what the tag says, so pays to check tag yourself, or rotate the driveshaft/input and count axle rotations anyways.

• Like 1

Close, you need to count how many rotations of the driveshaft it takes to turn the wheel one complete rotation.