Sign in to follow this  
Rohil

Cant Kill The Power Of Dreams

Hi guys,

So a good mate of mine had saved all his pennies to buy his dream car as a kid, a 1978 Cadillac Seville.

After a solid week (not without troubles) it burst into flames one morning on the drive to work. So, in an effort to give this guy a hand we have this kickstarter page setup:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1151690782/betsie-a-legend-reborn

Give a little, give a lot but you cant kill the power of dreams!

We will rebuild and get this going, but at the tender age of 20 unfortunately funds are an issue. So we are exploring every avenue to get this done right!

Any expertise/trades people would also be much appreciated.

Thank you for taking your time to go through this!

So one can reasonably assume the owner wasn't insured?

Nope, we were just talking about it on Sunday and this happens today. I guess you never can be too careful with these things

Good luck, alternatively get married, get a mortgage or two if your in Auckland, fill in a few years and then tell me your dream is still alive :)

• Like 9

One of the first cars I customised was a 59 Morris Minor van. My father and I spent hundreds of hours restoring the body and upgrading the suspension to Vauxhall disks and independant jag rear. Then a 3lt V6 and 5 speed gearbox went in. Custom paint and interior. Loved that car.

Similar thing happened and I had a fire in the engine bay which totaled the car.

Undaunted(well maybe a bit) I wanted to save my beloved van but it was cost prohibitive.

To cut a long story short I took a second job and saved and scrimped on everything for a year so I could afford to bring my van back.

This is what your friend should be doing. Not relying on the goodwill of others to fund his repairs.

Yeah, I feel for his loss but if he works for it himself he'll appreciate it more in the long run.

Edited by kulgan
  • Like 12

I thought these online donations were more for people with out of the ordinary problems, like health complications beyond their control & couldn't afford the costs associated.

I'm sure everyone would love a donation towards their car projects. I know I would.

• Like 7

At least give some photos of the burnt remains, assuming there's actually a car behind this story. Your mate isn't gonna get sympathy here. Should've had insurance, sh*t happens :mellow:

• Like 7

One of the first cars I customised was a 59 Morris Minor van. My father and I spent hundreds of hours restoring the body and upgrading the suspension to Vauxhall disks and independant jag rear. Then a 3lt V6 and 5 speed gearbox went in. Custom paint and interior. Loved that car.

Similar thing happened and I had a fire in the engine bay which totaled the car.

Undaunted(well maybe a bit) I wanted to save my beloved van but it was cost prohibitive.

To cut a long story short I took a second job and saved and scrimped on everything for a year so I could afford to bring my van back.

This is what your friend should be doing. Not relying on the goodwill of others to fund his repairs.

Yeah, I feel for his loss but if he works for it himself he'll appreciate it more in the long run.

I thought these online donations were more for people with out of the ordinary problems, like health complications beyond their control & couldn't afford the costs associated.

I'm sure everyone would love a donation towards their car projects. I know I would.

At least give some photos of the burnt remains, assuming there's actually a car behind this story. Your mate isn't gonna get sympathy here. Should've had insurance, sh*t happens :mellow:

All of these!

There's a guy in my region that has a rare form of cancer, and the community have undertaken a massive fundraising drive to get him overseas for treatment that isn't otherwise available in New Zealand. Not him pleading for help, his friends and family doing it for him because he's too damn humble to ask for help.

That is a cause worth donating to. Sorry, but if your friend sank every last cent into buying the car and had nothing left for insurance, then your friend couldn't afford the car.

Life sucks. Get another job to raise the money or store it until he can afford it. But its pretty damn rich to go round with cap in hand to cover a personal shortfall caused by naivety / poor planning.

• Like 2

Nope, we were just talking about it on Sunday and this happens today. I guess you never can be too careful with these things

Sorry, no sympathy from me here. No insurance? What an idiot.

Dont see me asking for donations to replace the skyline that was stolen from me 6 years ago when i was stupid enough to think insurance wasnt needed. I took out a personal loan to buy another car (as it was my only car) and moved on.

Sorry, no sympathy from me here. No insurance? What an idiot.

Dont see me asking for donations to replace the skyline that was stolen from me 6 years ago when i was stupid enough to think insurance wasnt needed. I took out a personal loan to buy another car (as it was my only car) and moved on.

Yeah utter stupidity on his part. No need for full insurance but at least the cheaper third party gives you some form of cover.

Personally at the bare minimum I'd get third party, better to be safe than sorry. In some countries i believe 3rd party is compulsory. But hey, it was worth a shot.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I know you are trying to be a GC here but I would rather donate money to the spca or some wildlife protection charity. Humans have all the means possible to not put themselves into these situations.

• Like 8

third party + fire and theft is not even expensive... like $300 or something

it should be made compulsory here too imo

• Like 1

third party + fire and theft is not even expensive... like $300 or something

it should be made compulsory here too imo

Should definitely be compulsory - have had multiple friends crashed into and the other party didn't have insurance, usually 20-somethings texting/not paying attention and rear-ending them.

• Like 2

I know you are trying to be a GC here but I would rather donate money to the spca or some wildlife protection charity. Humans have all the means possible to not put themselves into these situations.

Yeah just trying to help him out. I think we all would rather donate to a charity, worthy causes where the money is going towards something more than essentially, a toy. He's a good mate, felt bad so posted up. And I totally get where everyone is coming from!

Should definitely be compulsory - have had multiple friends crashed into and the other party didn't have insurance, usually 20-somethings texting/not paying attention and rear-ending them.

Personally I think it should be compulsory, not just in cases like this but worse, as in your friends case when damage is done to others.

Maybe something that might be open for debate, although can't imagine something like that would win over the voters who are already struggling though.

It's nice you are trying to help a friend but I agree with pretty much everyone else here. I find it pretty funny as well as very sad that it has become acceptable to beg for money for things like this. Dignity goes pretty much down the toilet, but that doesn't seem to mean much these days as long as you can get a dollar. Nothing personal against your friend.

• Like 2