Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

E39 M5 restoration project Version 2.0

Hi Martin not sure if this is of any help http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/Allanson54/Mobile%20Uploads/light%20set%20530_zps8dxvk0jl.jpg

is of my 2002 e39 530i when I changed the lights to clears had some trouble getting things to seal up from memory. Not sure what I did in the end either doubled up on the sealing gaskets or used some sticky sponge type tape around the edges. Best of luck it's a pain when you find the boot full of water plus the electric gremlins that can follow it.

Yeah sika flex, and i was generous with it still lets a wee bit of water in so i think the key is getting the foam gasket and the metal to mate nicely around the edges. I'll need to get some smaller panel beating hammers and blocks of wood i think to get it right. Just a pain in the butt i have to do it twice over as the the other e39 that had the retrofit done leaks a wee bit with pre fl tail lights. Give me vanos work any day!

Edited by BreakMyWindow

I have a roll of that black sticky crap that goes around taillights but doesnt set, you can pull it apart and push it back together, might work for this.

need to hear that exhaust eh !!!!!

I have a roll of that black sticky crap that goes around taillights but doesnt set, you can pull it apart and push it back together, might work for this.

Butyl chord ? I'll give that a go if i can't get new foam gaskets to seal.

Also found another leaking point in to the boot via the sleeve for the fuel door locking mechanism. Should be leak free once i'm done with it!

just saw the no.1 parked up in a small st in mt albert about an hour ago all lonely

Butyl chord ? I'll give that a go if i can't get new foam gaskets to seal.

Also found another leaking point in to the boot via the sleeve for the fuel door locking mechanism. Should be leak free once i'm done with it!

Wurth "dab off glass sealer" is the same stuff, but in a tube - Awesome stuff :-) I keep 2 or 8 tubes in the garage. It doesn't wreck anything by glueing it forever - it goes on all the boot rubbers on all my cars, and also under the windws seals on the old ones to stop water getting in.

Not much difference then LOL, that'll look a million bucks when its finished, awesome :P

Awesome - keen to see lots of before and after shots as that is high on my list of presents from Santa

Few more things done.

-Face lift goodies

-Esisenmann exahaust

-Dent removal and paint correction. Really impressed with the team at OCD,

post-1689-0-93381300-1447291622.jpg

post-1689-0-01320300-1447291624.jpg

post-1689-0-47371900-1447291625.jpg

post-1689-0-44980700-1447291623.jpg

post-1689-0-45236100-1447291622.jpg

post-1689-0-96911300-1447291624.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks for bringing the car in Martin! Was a pleasure to work on it. :)

• Like 1

Top job Martin, good return on the hours you've invested.

Nice work ! ... looks bloody amazing.

Love the vibe going on at the moment with people restoring cars back to mint. This is why this community is rad.

• Like 3

Awesome stuff! Looks great. You should be very proud of the result.