Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

E28 kyb front shocks worth it?

Hi guys

I can get new kyb front shocks for my e28 for $100 each. Is it worth it?

I'll upload a video of my current shocks tomorrow. Which I think are original monster truck ones

Thanks

Edit: I know they aren't konis or bilsteins

Edited by eliongater

Here are the current front shocks (sorry for the average pics, i'll take the wheel off this weekend):

post-51421-0-83599400-1442451986_thumb.j

post-51421-0-75411100-1442451989_thumb.j

Edited by eliongater

I can't see why they wouldn't be fine. Looking at getting a set to replace mine as well, hard to say no to that price.

such positive comments as usual :P

E28's use an insert shock, so you won't even see the new shocks when you replace them.

Man that is UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUgly

Thanks for your encouragement :)

Hey how did the new inserts work out?

I didn't end up buying any. I'm focusing on getting the car going first. Plus I've already got 2 extra front struts and 1 extra back (the other side was drilled for refilling by the PO). Which are KYBs anyway, after further inspection lol.

I'd like to get some Koni's but they are NLA, so Bilsteins or spax would be next.

There is nothing wrong with a KYB shock many many of them fitted factory in Japan.

I've had two sets of KYB.

The first in a VW GTi A2 16v. They lasted less than two years. Although they were stiffer and worked better than the flogged-out originals (115k miles), they just couldn't hack the pace. Standard springs, wheels, tyres. They died. Replacing them with Boge Turbo was a revelation.

The second was on a NIssan Maxima. Replaced the original Nissan oil shocks with KYB gas shocks. Sharpened up the handling, made for a more sporty ride. Good value for money. They lasted fine over five years on the car, and were working fine when I sold it.

For your e28, I think your focus of getting it going and on the road is an excellent one. When it's time for shocks, you might consider Sachs, Bilstein, or perhaps Meyle (at the budget end)?

HTH