Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e34 535i: Part, fix and/or sell?

I recently picked up an 88 535i manual. It's pretty rough (actually it's a POS), but for the price I paid the mechanical parts are good (running engine, 5 speed and an LSD).

It has been painted matt black, put on some 18" wheels, tinted and probably lowered (I assume stock m sport suspension isn't this low).

Has no wof and the reg is on hold.

Mechanical:

• Working LSD, not welded. I jacked up the back and span one wheel and the other side span the same way.
  • gearbox seems ok, haven't tested 4th or 5th as I don't want to take it on the open road with no wof and reg (and other reasons)
  • Minor exhaust leak (was major). Exhaust missing some hangers and needs to be resealed.
  • Red springs?
  • Most of the suspension bushings look like they need replacing. I can wobble one of the arm things about a lot.
  • 4 18" wheels (the tyres on the rear and been burnt out (?) to the sidewalls), 1 16" basket weave

Engine:

• Runs :D
  • Leaks oil from the front somewhere, I think it might be the sump gasket as the sump looks fine. Haven't been able to get under it yet for a proper look.
  • Possible blown headgasket, lots of smoke out the exhaust and some coolant has gone from the tank (and it's not on the ground :wacko: ). Or a cracked head...
  • Needs a valve adjustment
  • Was misfiring until I changed the plugs (3 were blackened), might still be running a bit rich
  • Not sure on the timing chain as the the rockers (something is anyway) are too loud.
  • 160000 miles
  • Massive tear in intake boot after the filter
  • Radiator cable tied on

General condition:

• Window, sunroof and door seals need attention or replacement
  • Big chip in the windscreen
  • Leaks... Water in the boot and under back seat.
  • Drivers floor super squishy and has completely ruined carpet
  • Leather seats in pretty good condition. The rest of the interior is pretty terrible.
  • Working OBC
  • No stereo equipment at all
  • mtech gearknob and steering wheel
  • Sagging headliner
  • Drivers door can't be locked from outside, but it locks all the other doors
  • Electric sunroof works for the most part
  • There is some rust under the back seat and in the boot, I think there is also some underneath

So, should I fix it or part it (and take bits for the e28 :ph34r: )?

I'll post some pictures and a video later

Carjam: https://www.carjam.co.nz/car/?plate=fmg819

Intermediate pictures: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=937995789

Edited by eliongater

I also don't really have access to a paddock or other legal skid area. Nor do I have a trailer and car capable of towing it. Other wise track rat/skid hack and/or paddock car would be on the cards.

I could try and fix that though

I saw this for sale, if the time had been right I'd have bought it and swapped the lot into my e28. That's what I think you should do (provided you can get the motor going alright/everthing is ok).

Edited by M M

I saw this for sale, if the time had been right I'd have bought it and swapped the lot into my e28. That's what I think you should do (provided you can get the motor going alright/everthing is ok).

I kinda like the charm of eta engine. Also 'testing' the e34, the OBC reported 40L/100km! Plus my parents are really not keen on a 3.5L :(.

Maybe it's time to move out and stick the m30 in it, except living at home gives me more money for the BMWs.

Any one got a rolling e28 or e28 based e24 chassis? :P I know my cousin has some old landrovers and rangerovers...

Edited by eliongater

lol, burnt out tyres, 40L/100km and overheating.... i know what they've been upto :P

• Like 3

lol, burnt out tyres, 40L/100km and overheating.... i know what they've been upto :P

The PO even admitted to doing a burnout in his garage because the tyres had no tread left...

The LSD plus the torque of the m30 make it so tempting though.

I do wonder if it has overheated though, especially with the ghettofied cooling system

I kinda like the charm of eta engine.

You say this until you drive something better/faster. I did the same thing but with my Golf, used to think the 8v had character and this and that until I drove a 2L 16v, 1.9TDI and swapped a 1.8t into mine and realsed I was just wasting money all that time and was never happy with it. However I do understand as I have been looking at what I can do with my eta as well.

Why don't your parents want you to have a 3.5? What difference is that or if you get 200hp (for arguement's sake) out of the 2.7?

I know what you mean about living at home gives you more money for cars though, haha.

Actually what I might do is keep (and build) the m30 and put it in later. What's the easiest way to check for a cracked head or blown head gasket?

It's looking like parting it is probably the best option

Edited by eliongater

Blown head gasket you should see either oil in the water or water in the oil (but not always). The best would be to take the head off really. You might find some other things you should know before using that motor.

Wow, that things f*cked!

Keep the wheels, manual kit, LSD, engine & loom, steering wheel.

Buy a gallon of gas and a box of Beehives and turn the rest into ashes! Or be 'environmentally responsible' and send the rest to the scrappers.

• Like 1

Some photos. Sorry they are close up, trying to preserve the privacy of my friend (it is at his house at the moment).

post-51421-0-24314900-1442392533_thumb.j

post-51421-0-66380700-1442392535_thumb.j

post-51421-0-93522800-1442392537_thumb.j

post-51421-0-14895200-1442392540_thumb.j

post-51421-0-45726000-1442392542_thumb.j

EDIT: I have a video coming

Edited by eliongater

Here's the video.

It's doesn't sound that healthy...

into the bin it goes.

That's what I thought. Just not 100% sure what's wrong with it though, other than that the rest of the car is a POS

sounds like not 6cylinders are working properly

also probably worn corn lobes , which means head off job .

lift the rocker cover off check for wear in the front lobes