Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

Help with e30 M52 swap

Putting an m52 in my e30....

was going to buy a 318i donor e30 but is that a stupid idea? Would I be better off just to find an m20 manual conversion? So i could use the flywheel and the drive shaft along with the gear box?

I was for some reason thinking i would have everything I needed transmission wise if I bought the 318i donor.

Cheers

Kind of but not really, you need a mix of parts but you can use an m20 gearbox with modified linkage and a custom mount only. To use the getrag 240 from a 318 you need a 320i driveshaft and linkage but can use the OEM gearbox mount.

m20 flywheel will work with either.

better to buy this lot , all the running gear etc

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/53812-e30-325i-5spd-manual-convertible-parts-car-bmworld/

if you use a 318i m40 car as a donar you will need to upgrade all the rear end as well

geez thats a nice car, well could be a nice car. Amazing what it used to look like......

If I bought that I would fix it up, how much do you want for it?

Ok so I've already got an m sport e36 328i for the engine its got but could I use the sub frame from it?

I'm swapping this stuff into a 318i btw

Edited by RipJaws

Nope. You will need the sump and pickup from an e34 M50 and then it will fit onto the e30 subframe how it is. E36 is too different and rear sump vs e30 front sump.

Nope. You will need the sump and pickup from an e34 M50 and then it will fit onto the e30 subframe how it is. E36 is too different and rear sump vs e30 front sump.

yep no sorry I knew I had to get e34 m50 sump but must have been in a a bit ambiguous in my wording. I meant if I have to upgrade the braking system on the 318i project car will I not be able to use any of the brakes off the e36 for the e30? As I will probably have to update the brakes for the added power

Edited by RipJaws

I ran an m52 in my e30 for just over a year and it was perfectly fine with stock brakes. It's not that much of an increase, just get some new discs and good pads.

I you wanted e36 brakes you would need to do a 5lug swap, which isn't a straight swap.

What the heck I'm so confused now, apparently if I use M40 gear box I can use the drive shaft as well as everything else to make it work. But if you get an M42 only bits and bobs will work, this is from E30zone.net

M52B28 (ENGINE)

M40 (GEARBOX)

E30 318/320 (DRIVE SHAFT) (The props mentioned have a longer front section)

SO as long as I get M40 donor car with M40 gear box M40 drive shaft and a M20 fly wheel I should be sweet?

Edited by RipJaws

Yes the gearbox fits, I don't know about driveshaft / linkage though from what I have seen the m40 sits more forward being a shorter engine and would have a longer driveshaft / linkage.. But there is a small amount that can be adjusted in the spline center of the driveshaft so who knows.

I have done 2x swaps, one with a Getrag 240 from a 318i - One with a Getrag 220 from a e36 318i and both instances used 320i linkage and driveshaft, I never tried 318i stuff however.

• Like 1

What the heck I'm so confused now, apparently if I use M40 gear box I can use the drive shaft as well as everything else to make it work. But if you get an M42 only bits and bobs will work, this is from E30zone.net

M52B28 (ENGINE)

M40 (GEARBOX)

E30 318/320 (DRIVE SHAFT) (The props mentioned have a longer front section)

SO as long as I get M40 donor car with M40 gear box M40 drive shaft and a M20 fly wheel I should be sweet?

Can you link me to the page that says this? it is incorrect.

If you want to use an M40 gearbox, you must use 320i (m20) driveshaft and linkage. M40 will be too long.

Avoid using an M20 gearbox if you can, althought it will be bolt in you will need to modify the shifter, which makes it blindingly obvious if you intend to drive without cert.

If you want to use an M40 gearbox, you must use 320i (m20) driveshaft and linkage. M40 will be too long.

Avoid using an M20 gearbox if you can, althought it will be bolt in you will need to modify the shifter, which makes it blindingly obvious if you intend to drive without cert.

Shifter AND Gearbox mount, which makes it obvious.

Not that I recommend it, but I got away with VTNZ WOF's 3 times with the M52. If you use all the right bits it just looks OEM.

• Like 1

Yes the gearbox fits, I don't know about driveshaft / linkage though from what I have seen the m40 sits more forward being a shorter engine and would have a longer driveshaft / linkage.. But there is a small amount that can be adjusted in the spline center of the driveshaft so who knows.

I have done 2x swaps, one with a Getrag 240 from a 318i - One with a Getrag 220 from a e36 318i and both instances used 320i linkage and driveshaft, I never tried 318i stuff however.

Was the Getrag 240 from an e30 318i? Ok cool thanks for clearing that up.

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Swap_-_M5x

it says you can use either M20 or M40 drive shafts in the combinations section.

So my only problem using everything M40 is that the drive shaft will be too long? Will all the linkages fit if I used M40? My only probalem would be getting my hands on all this stuff and I don't really want to fart around and do it individually over a few months. I wouldn't be scared of chopping the shaft and welding it myself then getting it balanced. Has anyone had any experience with doing something like that?

I think I will get the thing a cert after I've used the car and had some joy out of it this summer so I can sell it on but thanks for letting me know the obvious parts

Edited by RipJaws

if you are going to go down the cut and paste method, by all means do the shifter and the rear mount yourself (sorry john, knew that, forgot to post it ha), but leave the driveshaft to be lengthened or shortended by a professional.

That Wiki is pretty accurate for most stuff, so im doubting myself... however it doesnt say manual or auto so that could be where the confusion is.

i dont see the 318i manual driveshaft working.. it is about 1.5-2 inches longer than a 320i manual driveshaft

i did same solution as John, used a complete 320i (M20) conversion, except an M40 gearbox.

Note 320i is different to 325i, this is important.

shorter shifter and linkage again, and they use a Getrag 260 box instead of the 240 the 320i and 318i use.

i mean it wont work in conjuction with the M40 box by the way.

Some people use the G260 and related bits with thier M5x swap with modified linkage and trans mount.

Its all a bit confusing and I want to use as much from the 318i manual donor car as I can so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking to go with this:

Engine: M52B28

Sump/pickup/dipstick: E34 M50

Gear Box: M40 Getrag (donor car)

Shifter linkages: M40 318i (donor car)

Drive shaft: M20 320i

and I should be sweet? I know you guys said to use e30 320i linkages and I mean I will if I try the m40's ones and it all goes tits up.

Which getrag box is it?

Mine just used original B23 drive train from gearbox (260) back, the shifter linkages will need to be butchered whatever you do due to the new angles the engine/box sit on.

Edited by Jacko

Its all a bit confusing and I want to use as much from the 318i manual donor car as I can so correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking to go with this:

Engine: M52B28

Sump/pickup/dipstick: E34 M50

Gear Box: M40 Getrag (donor car)

Shifter linkages: M40 318i (donor car)

Drive shaft: M20 320i

and I should be sweet? I know you guys said to use e30 320i linkages and I mean I will if I try the m40's ones and it all goes tits up.

Yes looks correct with the question mark around the linkages.

Have recently found out all manual E23 have the same linkage parts as E30 320i so that may be usefull to know. Not verified by yours truely however.

For the record, John and I are both spouting our own findings not "internet knowledge", and using facelift parts. Prefacelift linkages may or or may not be different from a compatibility point of view, they are physically totally different.

anyone find out what driveshaft to run behind m52b28/m40 gearbox in e30? ive got two d shafts and they both don't fit!! im not going to buy another manual conversion kit for nothing hAHA

On 4/6/2017 at 2:47 PM, nzer said:

anyone find out what driveshaft to run behind m52b28/m40 gearbox in e30? ive got two d shafts and they both don't fit!! im not going to buy another manual conversion kit for nothing hAHA

bolt in solution is facelift 320i as stated above. rear section is the same on all E30s so just the front half you need.

however may be easier to lengthen or shorten whichever ones you have already and have it balanced. since you need to cert for a swap anyway just another thing to add on your cert plate etc.