Sign in to follow this  
aborto

Dynavin DVN-E60+, anyone used one?

I have a 2006 ex-japan 540i with the 8.8" CCC which has been great so far apart from the awful factory stereo.

The DVN-E60+ looks perfect as an upgrade but I have heard mixed feedback about these things so far.

Has anyone got one of these? Are they any good?

I have heard (not experienced) some bad reports on Dynavin product. Why not get it converted to OEM spec Euro?

Mostly because of the horrifying price of any conversions I have seen. Most of the aftermarket systems to add ipod and bluetooth alone cost more than the DVN-E60.

I havent been looking into options for very long though, if anyone has any better ways of going about this I am happy to hear them.

Ideally I am wanting ipod control, bluetooth and video input, most of the other features I dont care about.

Edited by Aborto

I added Bluetooth, iPod and radio Nav to mine jap one. Yes it was expensive but I saw it more as an investment as I intend to keep the car for 5 yrs.

Certainly I don't regret it and would do it again. iPod integrated into idrive with Nav etc is far better then aftermarket can get close to

Its ok, if a bit cobbled together ... everything mostly works .. but I find that the company is more of a marketing company who hires in contract engineers to build a product, then when that product is over they have 0 support for updates instead adopting a model of sell a new product with upgraded software.

This business model is hella annouying if youre a person whos payed a nice $1100 premium for effectively a stereo system and satnav (the two main things youll actually use in the long run)

A friend and I reversed engineered the touch screen a while back as the driver had been 'baked' into the android build as a binary. We found all sorts of dodgy goings on with the touch screen hardware chip to software driver chain. The hardware deals with the resistive touch so badly it has to use a software smoothing intermediary before the android system can consume it.

Also the android system is actually running on dev emulation software in the background on a WinCE board.

Yes it all works, but explains a lot of the reasons why they can't (don't) upgrade the software.

the AVIN system is a lot better but they have limited resources for developing new models of hardware as its 1 guy (m3evolution from e46fanatics) and his partnership with china.

Thanks for that hybrid, interesting. None of that surprises me to be honest, I have seen some real shoddy low budget android setups.

I take it you have the DVN-E39A? the E60 version is straight winCE rather than Android but whether that helps the speed or stability I dont know.

How is the performance? boot speed and general interface lag?

yeah the e39 d99 android version.

Its old android 2.2 from stock. I have a 2.3 ROM running which has vastly quick startup times. But its around 1 min to boot android properly. The stereo side of it boots very fast. It is based on another MCU. When you hit the nav button it will switch between the two systems.

I had a go on the AVIN system and it is a lot better for the money.

I have been thinking about just converting a tablet into the standard frame. However It would remove the radio/stereo functionality. . Things might get better with the complete Android Car OS coming out, Im sure the aftermarket will jump on it quickly enough.

You not really going to get major step in sound quality by just replacing the head unit. Its going to take replacement speakers , amps with more headroom and better bass units.

Have a look at gladen speaker upgrade kits with the mosconi amp that integrates into your system. Will work far better than many aftermarket combos.

https://youtu.be/YEdzeGrAbto

Edited by Neal

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will do a bit more looking, I dont think Avin make one for the e60 sadly, they do look good.

Neal - Thanks for that, its not the sound quality I am worried about right now, just the painful lack of input options on the factory headunit. I normally run a reasonably decent system with type R components and a pair of 10" subs but this is such a quiet car I dont really need the volume. But I will be after at the least an upgraded amp for the subs at some stage and maybe some better quality speakers so I will have a look at them.

Have you seen the Denison options for factory head/Nav ?

Gives USB , 3.5 rca and iPod plus Bluetooth ad2p streaming ( no aptx yet)

Supports most audio formats including lossless codecs and steering wheel controls.

Have you seen the Denison options for factory head/Nav ?

Gives USB , 3.5 rca and iPod plus Bluetooth ad2p streaming ( no aptx yet)

Supports most audio formats including lossless codecs and steering wheel controls.

They dont seem to be compatible with Jap spec models without coding, I will look into them.

Edited by Aborto