Sign in to follow this  
Daniel0663

E36 Rear diffuser/Front Splitter.

Diffuser will be mainly designed with the LTW/Mtech spoiler in mind.

Only reason i'm posting this is because i've searched everywhere in NZ for e36 diffusers and there is no "off the shelf" parts available, everything is designed and made from scratch from various engineering/fabrication work shops which costs a fortune. Mateo Motorsports in the states makes them for a reasonable price (~ $400 USD) but the shipping costs is worth more than the product itself so it's not really worth it once import tax etc add on.

post-52060-0-03202800-1442553375.jpg

Edited by Daniel0663

Good luck. I personally don't believe a rear diffuser will do anything if it is like the pic above. Remove the spare tyre well and it'd be more interesting.
Are you drawing up the whole e36 in cad? or just analyzing them by themselves? I'd be more interested in paying for the cad files of an e36

ACM edges look a bit rubbish imo. 3mm ali you'd be looking 5-10kg at a guess. Were it me, I'd aim for carbon main panel, and black anodised ali for the fins, tab and slot each fin and weld tops, then bolt to carbon plate.

Also worth offering carbon undertrays etc while you're down there.

Vaguely interested, but not in buying as I've got the stock bumpers still.

This is all new to me and i'm just doing this based on what i've learned from various sources/uni. It's hard to simulate the functionality as i'm still learning the fluid simulation program, but i'll be able to test it visually quite easily with a cam recorder mounted on the back with various length of strings attached to see how the turbulence is behaving and go based off that data and improve where needed.

ACM edges look a bit rubbish imo. 3mm ali you'd be looking 5-10kg at a guess. Were it me, I'd aim for carbon main panel, and black anodised ali for the fins, tab and slot each fin and weld tops, then bolt to carbon plate.

Also worth offering carbon undertrays etc while you're down there.

Vaguely interested, but not in buying as I've got the stock bumpers still.

I do agree, that would be the ideal way to make it. But i'm on a budget and i don't have access to laminating equipment. I'm going to have to work with what i have and improvise. Those pics are just examples from around the forums btw. I'm going to scrap the 3mm alloy at this point, going to focus on the aluminium composite, it would be cool if i could source some ABS honey comb cores slabbed between two 1.5mm aluminium sheets.

Edited by Daniel0663

I do agree, that would be the ideal way to make it. But i'm on a budget and i don't have access to laminating equipment. I'm going to have to work with what i have and improvise. Those pics are just examples from around the forums btw. I'm going to scrap the 3mm alloy at this point, going to focus on the aluminium composite, it would be cool if i could source some ABS honey comb cores slabbed between two 1.5mm aluminium sheets.

You wouldn't need a laminator, the carbon sheet can just be wj cut to spec same as the ali would have been, then have the fins bolted on as tab/slot/welded 3mm ali Ts.

No experience making car parts, but done a lot for bikes (no carbon though).

I've tried laminating carbon before on a project, and it's really not worth the time/effort unless you have the proper equipment (vaccum bagging etc). Sourcing the carbon sheet in the dimensions i need in NZ would cost me quite a lot considering the raw twill (2x2, 200gsm) itself costs $50~60 for a square meter minus the epoxy/labor etc. I just don't have that kind of budget ...

Will check various alibaba/chinese sources because i'm a cheap b@stard :)

Edited by Daniel0663

I dont get it, why does the first one/few/any have to be carbon?

to the op, get stuck in, use the materials you can source and are familiar with. If it works as intended, functionality will far outweigh form or materials...

watching with interest.

• Like 1

Doesn't have to be carbon at all, I was just providing balance for the ACM/ply/plastic that were on the materials list.

If there's no welding, ACM would be the cheapest way to get something on there that'll perform as required (I'm skeptical of rigidity in those other materials).

Mean we should chip in and buy one unit from them. I can make subsequent items once we have the template on my bandsaw etc.....

Mean we should chip in and buy one unit from them. I can make subsequent items once we have the template on my bandsaw etc.....

Keen, will send you a PM tomorrow.

Would it not be cheaper to measure it up and get them profile cut? I'm also keen though. 2mm alloy enough?

well freight is going to be the killer so the more in the better. Profile cut sounds great but I know nothing about it....care to explain further?

The support brackets underneath look easy to fold up, from a template.

Small update. Finished my exams and finally had the hours to put in.

Ended up going with the full front end under tray/splitter so its best of both worlds. :)

7mm CD bunnings plywood w/ 3msq 200g weaved fibreglass with approx 500ml marine grade epoxy resin applied. All hardware is 316 SS and supporting mounts all bolt up to the chassis so it is very sturdy, will easily hold my weight (79KG). Total weight without the bumper is approx 7-8KG and total cost to build this was around 200 .... ish. Could have been a lot cheaper if i went with zinc/galvanized hardware.

Made a couple mistakes, first being the front being not long enough, which was my mistake. Measure twice, cut once!

Just need to complete the rear diffuser, will add more progress pics of that later.

3HUQKaf.jpg

VptNvnl.jpg

Edited by Daniel0663
  • Like 4

thats one bloody tough looking car!

With the splitter, did you look into matching the corners of the splitter to the curve on the corner of the bumper? Its a very harsh edge there otherwise.

In regards to aero, it might be worth watching this too. Just because it looks the part, doesnt mean it wont ruin everything.

Looks pretty sweet!

Cheers, it was worth the effort! :)

thats one bloody tough looking car!

With the splitter, did you look into matching the corners of the splitter to the curve on the corner of the bumper? Its a very harsh edge there otherwise.

In regards to aero, it might be worth watching this too. Just because it looks the part, doesnt mean it wont ruin everything.

Thanks, will definately look into that for the next splitter. I'll be making one for my brothers e36 track hack so will definitely be aiming for 100% functionality including full underbody panels, rear diffuser etc. Learned a lot from this project, and beats paying $140 for the M3 plastic lip. It was extremely time consuming though, thought i could finish it in a couple hours but ended up taking 3 days, total hours was about 10-12 hours but i have all the templates/mounts drawn up so next one will hopefully take less time.

Edited by Daniel0663

The car looks fantastic, I've just picked up a Black ti myself and yours looks brilliant. Can't wait to have some time next year to spend on getting it as clean as yours!

The car looks fantastic, I've just picked up a Black ti myself and yours looks brilliant. Can't wait to have some time next year to spend on getting it as clean as yours!

Thanks Paul!

Small update. Here are some more pics from various stages of fitment and pics of the rear diffuser. Still not 100% happy with the rear diffuser design so i'm going to make it again in carbon aswell.

1gv4Lqf.jpg

iFwBIYH.jpg

GGUmLgo.jpg

Version 2:

Learning from the first one, i decided to make another from splitter from carbon fiber instead of fiberglass and i'll make it 50mm longer than the previous one.

Btw: if anyone wants the fiberglass front splitter/undertray, it's for sale. All mounts/hardware etc included. PM me.

ZKYGCBY.jpg

uiHmbIh.jpg

Edited by Daniel0663