Sign in to follow this  
bmwownage

4pots - N46 vs N43

So after my post a while ago about Jap imports, I have been looking at Jap imports.

I have been looking at cars like the later E87's 120i, 118i LCI, and E90 320i LCI.

One of the things I noticed was that the E87's NZ new (only 118 after LCI) is that they only come with the N46 engine up to the end of the model; and even the E90 320i LCI, i was able to find a 2011 NZ new one on trademe and found out that it was also on the N46 115kW engine. Cars imported from Japan with mfg date in 2010, came with the N43 engine whether it's a E87 or E90. The N43 engine is better on paper withthe 120i and 320i rated 125kW.

Is there something with the N43 engine that doesn't work in NZ? I have read about problems with the N43 but then there are also issues with the N46. I also noticed some other countries that do not sell N43 engines from their own dealerships and kept the N46 all the way.

Thanks for any insights.

just dont buy a 4 cylinder bmw, especially e90's and e87's. save up or go down a few years if you need to to get a 6 cylinder.

• Like 1

are they really that bad? getting 4 pots for lower fuel consumption..

how about the F20's then? would these first gen 4cyclinder turbos be problematic?

Edited by bmwownage

I guarantee you will spend an extra $100 buying a 4 pot to every $10 you might save buy not buying a 6 pot

BTW... buy a big drip tray for your garage and a Honda Civic to get to work on a regular basis

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 12

Both of those engines are rubbish.. the F20 turbo is pretty good.

You will be forever chasing oil leaks. and they're gutless.

Edited by BMWTouring

people dont understand that big engines dont necessarily mean high fuel consumption.

i got amazing fuel economy in my 3L straight 6 E46 when driven casually or even during road trips. i reckon if i had a 318/320 it would probably be very very slightly cheaper but nowhere near as fun or nice to drive.. and no stupid crazy repair bills for oil leaks

well i had a E46 330i it was a dream and sounds like music, but i wouldn't say the fuel consumption is great, i was averaging maybe 11L/100km, driving pretty unaggressively, quite a bit of highway cruises but of course, two days a week getting stuck on the motorway kills it all.

wasn't expecting so much negativity on the N46 (and N43 even though they probably didn't sell them in NZ at all) given there are heaps of 320i's around... i was trying to avoid the F20 turbo (engine N16?) given it's arguably the first generation of turbo engines and that usually means less reliability..

^^^^^^ I would take note on what Glenn says - he knows them inside out. Look at another thread on here regarding the N46 & its constant issues.

Otherwise purchase at you own peril.

• Like 1

The newer generation n52 six cylinder in the e90 and e87 is a real gem. I haven't really heard anything bad about them. I've never driven a four cylinder BMW (non turbo) that I've liked. They are pushing around cars that aren't really considered lightweights and you end up spending just as much on fuel as you would in a 6 cylinder.

Don't forget, the 6 also sounds much better.

Edited by str8_6

Going from a e46 330i to a e87 or e90 with a N46 motor is a backwards step in my opinion.

The N42/N43/N45/N46 series motors were terrible. I'm having to rebuild the head on my N46 after only 130k - many fail much sooner than that.

In contrast the six cylinder engines are beautiful.

• Like 1

I recommend 4 cylinders on one bank and 4 cylinders on the other bank. My type of 4pot

• Like 5