Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

How to best remove paint from style 32's.

I now have a set of style 32's but a PO has painted them and now it's flaking off.

Whats the best method to get this off without ruining the original finish underneath which looks good from what I can see.

post-17205-0-08397900-1442987294_thumb.j

The set I had did the same thing, got any other photos? I'm pretty sure it's the undercoat you're seeing and the topcoat is flaking off.

Edited by Toast

they all do this . just strip and repaint

What should be used to strip the old paint off? And any recommendations for paint?

I've had pretty good success with Tergo paint stripper. Apply it with a brush and cover the wheel with some gladwrap to keep the fumes in (a trick the guy at the paint shop told me, supposed to make it have stronger affect), then water blast the stipper and paint off. Might have to do it more than once but it's the easiest way labour wise.

• Like 2

I've had pretty good success with Tergo paint stripper. Apply it with a brush and cover the wheel with some gladwrap to keep the fumes in (a trick the guy at the paint shop told me, supposed to make it have stronger affect), then water blast the stipper and paint off. Might have to do it more than once but it's the easiest way labour wise.

Cheers. I'll give that a go.

Thinking I may end up stripping the paint off and then polishing the metal.

I would advise spraying the polished wheels with clear coat once you have finished.

• Like 1

I would advise spraying the polished wheels with clear coat once you have finished.

I would imagine they would go dull very quick without a clear coat.

Walnut blast to get paint off. I can second the clear coat comments above. Did this with some acs rims. However , Clear coat only lasted a couple of years.

Paint experts on here will know how to do rims.

Edited by Neal

I'm not a paint expert, but I would definitely not use rattle cans.

Do it once, do it right.

I wouldn't clear coat the lips if they are polished for several reasons.

One being that it dulls the finish no matter what you do.

Secondly it will chip very soon after because the paint has nothing to stick to.

I speak from experience because I did this with a set of wheels, whith proper paint and a gun not spray paint (and I am not new to painting either). Some paints will last longer than others, but eventually they all chip or peel and then you have to recoat the whole thing, no way to fix it.

On my e28 I polished the lips and simply spray with silicone spray after every wash. Every once in a while you can go over them with a metal polish like Autosol to bring them back to 100%, but I've left them for months before and they only needed a light polish. My car lives outside 100% of the time.

• Like 2

is paint stripper safe for the aluminium/magnesium etc the wheels are made of?

It worked fine with my 16" Style 5s.

Edited by M M

I have just come across this: https://www.vhtpaint.com/products/stripfast/

All the reviews I found were positive about it so I'm going to give it a shot soon on some wheels I'm redoing and will post back results. On one video of it working it appears to work better than Tergo but we shall see.

• Like 1

I gave the Tergo a go today with not so good results. Followed the instructions and applied with a brush. Waiting 10 mins and went back and it hardly made an impression in the paint.

They had a stronger stripper there so I might give that a try tomorrow.

I've found that you have to apply it quite thick. Also leave it for a little longer and then use a paint scrapper and try to just peel the paint off. It should have at least softened enough to be able to do it. I'm going to give that VHT stuff a go today.

Ive only ever seen people make a gooey mess when using strong strippers.

Wait wut.....

But goodluck!

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 2

Got this stuff today and it's done the job nicely.

Comes with a spray bottle for application. Scrape off after about 10 minutes. I applied a second coat and used wire wool to get into the corners. Way better than the Tergo.

post-17205-0-77981600-1444353106_thumb.j

• Like 4

Got this stuff today and it's done the job nicely.

Comes with a spray bottle for application. Scrape off after about 10 minutes. I applied a second coat and used wire wool to get into the corners. Way better than the Tergo.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif DSC08634.JPG

You just reminded me of the bottle I have in the garage, will have to test it on the BBSs this weekend. Did you try waterblasting them after application?

I might give that a go next time Kulgan and see how it is.

Tried the VHT today, it works better than Tergo. Way easier and faster to apply since it's in a spray can and it eats through the paint pretty fast. You'll want at least 3 cans if you're doing a set of wheels though.

What I did was spray a couple coats (as instructed on the can) and then waterblast it off. Got almost all of it off with 2 cans (but I did use Tergo on them first last week so it's about the equivalent of a layer of this).

To be honest though next time I'll probably just get them acid dipped.

You just reminded me of the bottle I have in the garage, will have to test it on the BBSs this weekend. Did you try waterblasting them after application?

The waterbalster I would have used wasn't available today so this one was done by hand.

And I'm thinking along the same lines Mateja. It was a lot of work for one wheel today..lol

Surely sandblasting would only be about $25 a wheel?

Surely sandblasting would only be about $25 a wheel?

LMAO. I called a local sandblaster. $15 and it'll take about 10 mins while I wait..

I guess thats a bit better than $40 for a can of stripper and the 3 hours it took my to get the wheel stripped properly.

ha ha. Live n learn.

Can sandblasting damage the wheels in any way?