Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

How to best remove paint from style 32's.

He did say that it will pit some of the newer wheels. I'll take in the worst of the 5 I have and see how it goes.

LMAO. I called a local sandblaster. $15 and it'll take about 10 mins while I wait..

I guess thats a bit better than $40 for a can of stripper and the 3 hours it took my to get the wheel stripped properly.

ha ha. Live n learn.

;)

Can sandblasting damage the wheels in any way?

Shouldn't...

He did say that it will pit some of the newer wheels. I'll take in the worst of the 5 I have and see how it goes.

...but this is a good idea.

• Like 1

I've heard it causes pitting as well which is no good if you want to polish them. Makes for much more work. Otherwise, if you are painting it shouldn't be an issue.

I found a light sand/soft wire brush and then the spray on paint stripper that repco sells to be the easiest way. In spray form it gets into all the corners etc. I just water blasted it after about 10 minutes and the paint came off.

If you don't break the paint surface first it's a whole lot less effective

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

pretty sure heaps of ppl just sandblast them for the cheapest and fastest option.. but causing tiny little pits is prbably why its the cheapest option.. we all know good things take time (mainland cheese advert)

Had one of the rims sandblasted today and I have to say, I'm gutted with the results.

Badly pitted and they didn't get into the wheel nut holes very well. Also paint left where the balancing weights where .

All in all I'll probably spend more time now using a filler undercoat and sanding than I did when I used the stripper to remove the paint.

So back to the stripper for me.

On a positive note I've been experimenting with clear coats and funny enough the cheapest has given the best result. I'll post up some pics of the different rims with the paint used so you can see the results.

• Like 1

I sprayed a bit of silver paint on the rim so it would show the pitting better after being sandblasted.

Sitting in my living room with a plastic tarp on the floor and a couple of old towels on the coffee table wet sanding a rim while I watch tv...lmao.

post-17205-0-13302300-1446269296_thumb.j

Haha Dave, that's dedicated, or mad, or probably both :)

• Like 1

Really looking forward to seeing the 740 one of these days

• Like 1

Had one of the rims sandblasted today and I have to say, I'm gutted with the results.

That sucks. Sorry if I sent you down the wrong path!

I wonder if they've done wheels before because the two wheel places I've used have both cleaned them by sandblasting (outsourced).

• Like 1

Really looking forward to seeing the 740 one of these days

lol. She's a bit rough around the edges but still my baby..

A coat of paint will do wonders though.

That sucks. Sorry if I sent you down the wrong path!

I wonder if they've done wheels before because the two wheel places I've used have both cleaned them by sandblasting (outsourced).

No worries. Still a good idea and I may try another place yet.

They said they do wheels all the time but I was a bit dubious when I saw the results, especially when they said they would paint right over the top of that finish.

Edited by kulgan

lol. She's a bit rough around the edges but still my baby..

A coat of paint will do wonders though.

No worries. Still a good idea and I may try another place yet.

They said they do wheels all the time but I was a bit dubious when I saw the results, especially when they said they would paint right over the top of that finish.

Maybe they don't do nice wheels much/at all? And just do steel wheels or something

I had wheels blasted with similar results before - I powder coated mine however which covered the roughness nicely. Maybe an option for you?

,'No Its had to say. The vapour blaster will remove what's off the surface, leaving a clean sealed surface. If there's is any imperfections in the alloy or oxidation or corrosion it will simply clean what is there. 

It won't take off powder   coat though. 

My instagram has photos of my m20 I have been playing with. 

#blastmypart

I know vapour and media blasting yield different results, but can a single cabinet be used for both? What differences / changes in equipment would be needed?

No the vapour blaster is full of water with a big pump to create the slurry and move the water to the novel. 

I.guess that you could.empty the water and use it as a sand blaster but that is a lot of work and time.  I have dedicated bead blasters. 

Edited by 1BMF

One question that every one asks is how Much to blast my wheels.  Sorry I cant say till the jobs  completed. 

There are to Many different elements Size of wheel and wheel style. Multi spoke take much longer than a simple 5 spoke. 13" vs 18"

Wheel finish i.e. current coating. What finish you want. Many modern wheel finishes are very tough. some I can't remove. I can key them ready for paint and smooth out any chips very quickly and easily. Advantages of this when painting is that you don't need to etch prime the wheels again.

But going back to raw alloy can be a long processes. If polishing its a great processes as it leaves a great finish for polishing 

Change out is $85 per hour. 

So sorry I cant tell you till I.have them in the blaster 

Sorry to hijack thread.

Is vapour blasting suitable for restoration of diff parts ?  I have a crown and pinion gear set for my mk1 mini ABT / LSD diff that has been on the shelve for some time (1970s) It has very light surface rust and no pitting. Would vapour blasting be ok to restore the surface of these parts ?

13 hours ago, Neal said:

Sorry to hijack thread.

Is vapour blasting suitable for restoration of diff parts ?  I have a crown and pinion gear set for my mk1 mini ABT / LSD diff that has been on the shelve for some time (1970s) It has very light surface rust and no pitting. Would vapour blasting be ok to restore the surface of these parts ?

Should be fine.

Vapour blasting is non-abrasive, and non-destructive. If bits are missing after vapour blasting, it's because they were rotten/rusted or corroded before blasting.

Vapour blasting is suitable for aluminium, bronze, magnesium, titanium, brass, copper... It gently cleans the surface returning it (as close as possible) to how it was the day it was cast or machined.

Well said. 

It also works very well on machined steel. 

But then there can be contamination issues with some clients and the media. 

One question that every one asks is how Much to blast my wheels.  Sorry I cant say till the jobs  completed. 

There are to Many different elements Size of wheel and wheel style. Multi spoke take much longer than a simple 5 spoke. 13" vs 18"

Wheel finish i.e. current coating. What finish you want. Many modern wheel finishes are very tough. some I can't remove. I can key them ready for paint and smooth out any chips very quickly and easily. Advantages of this when painting is that you don't need to etch prime the wheels again.

But going back to raw alloy can be a long processes. If polishing its a great processes as it leaves a great finish for polishing 

Change out is $85 per hour. 

So sorry I cant tell you till I.have them in the blaster