Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

F/L E30 318i coupe

So ive been lurking around here for a while with the odd post here and there soaking up the knowledge of everyone, doing basic modifications etc but have now taken on the task of a build project......wont be breaking any records with getting this build done but plan on doing as much of it as i possibly can myself, with the limited skill and tools i have.

so here's where we start:

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/49440-1990-e30-project/

Here's were we currently sit.

IMG_2610_zpsizqf3wmc.jpg

IMG_2614_zps5vxlechi.jpg

Then i purchased a dereged E34 525 to pull all the bits i needed for the M50 conversion so after a lengthy list from pelican parts i have the motor sitting awaiting all new seals and gaskets

IMG_2611_zpsavkblqub.jpg

IMG_2612_zps0olu83uk.jpg

Mean while the suspension is getting a full upgrade with a 5 stud conversion with all new bushes, ball joints and links through out and some braided brake lines while its all apart.

Have just ordered custom spec'd XYZ coilovers to bring it down to a more inspiring height.

Spent a weekend scrubbing all the dirt out from every crack and crevice of the underbody and cleaning it all up and painting it back again.

The interior has been stripped to A:) check for rust in the floor B:) to clean, scrub and dye the interior carpets. Recaro LS seats have been purchased to fit in the front, and rear trims will be re-bolstered and trimmed to match.

Lots of little miscellaneous parts have been sourced to help this project along, M20 flywheel (to be lightened and starter), Fuzzfabrics Custom e30 houndstooth gear lever and handbrake boot. E36 engine arms, e36 steering rack. Renault Booster. Mtech 1 rear spoiler.

Still to purchase:

Manual Gearbox conversion

Walbro Fuel Pump

Wheels

Copper Spacer & Cut-ring gasket

ARP Head studs

Turbo - still to decide HX35 or 30, Garret TA3410 looking for quicker spoil than massive outright power.

Injectors, wastegate and all the extras that go along with a turbo build.

Next on the to do list is sort the little bits of rust in the bottom of the A pillars and around the rubber seal in the boot.

Meanwhile the list of parts grows.

Will update this as progress continues and ask silly questions where needed along the way

• Like 5

More gifts turned up today :D shortened struts, 9 & 12 kg springs & e30 top hats. now to get my but in gear to get all the suspension components cleaned up and painted and all new bushes and links installed to get it back rolling again.

IMG_2623_zpsyzaq4vy1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks to jib05 i picked these up over the weekend, very stoked to get these and to get them refurbished back to their former glory. another project to add to the project haha

IMG_2625_zpsrzk31pko.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the Hartge split wheels club :)

• Like 1

They are 3 piece but seem to be welded from factory so will be sending them off to have them split then will begin the restoration process.......will be looking at bigger lips as they only measure in at 16x7 and 16x8 so may possibly keep the 8s for the front and build the 7s out to 9.5s or will build both out with bigger lips.

Anyone have any ideas where to send them to have them split was thinking of arrow wheels in auckland, was hoping there was someone closer to hamilton

So, had a big weekend on the car got a few bit had sitting around fitted and quite happy with the results

First off the weekend started with a bit of fire....

IMG_2636_zpsvoxqvmni.jpg

man what a bitch those subframe bushes can be....replaced with revshift 12mm riser bushes as well as all rear trailing arm bushes and front control offset bushes. Fitted a rear sway bar, nolathane sway bar bushes, all new ball joints and links & E36 steering rack.

IMG_2638_zpscjc4oezq.jpg

then bolted up custom built XYZ suspension, may need a little tweaking with strut and spring lengths to get the required height i am after but will get the engine/gearbox back in first before i make any more calls on that. Also finished up the 5 stud conversion which was relatively straight forward.

IMG_2637_zpsyjuur1xk.jpg

At the moment it sits like this, wheels are e34 15x7 et20....

IMG_2647_zpsduqdirir.jpg

IMG_2648_zpsganmhnka.jpg

IMG_2642_zpsskkerkgj.jpg

IMG_2643_zpsmrszugtj.jpg

After finally getting the old girl back on some shoes again after a few months of having its under belly scrubbed and tidied up i then set out to get the interior tidy.....

so started off with this..

IMG_2639_zpsuru2abuf.jpg

a good water blast/ scrub then a few coats of duplicolor vinyl and carpet dye and youd never know, as well as this also did the hood lining black to match

IMG_2650_zps0pku6lg1.jpg

Then put the centre consoles with fuzzfabrics houndstooth gear boot and handbrake boot and Recaro LS front seats, which along with the rear will be re-trimmed at a later date to match the gear & handbrake boots.

IMG_2652_zpssyppsmbe.jpg

IMG_2653_zps5oxt730y.jpg

and just for a bit of fun mocked up the Mtech 1 wing just to finish the look

IMG_2654_zpswuppd8co.jpg

Next on the to do list is now to sort out the small patches of rust in the boot area and start on the smoothing and tidying of the engine bay, mean while saving for the all important engine components.

Edited by WYZEUP
  • Like 4

Wow nice! Good call on the 15x7 wheels. Great offset and would have been quite cheap i assume! And the carpet came up real nice. Looking forward to more pics!

was a bonus that the wheels came on the vehicle i purchased as a parts car, still no brake discs on the vehicle yet so will effect the offset a little more but will be kept as track wheels or rollers until the hartge's are built.

Guys who have done this swap, which loom is best to use? e36 or e34 loom?

Very slow progress atm as have changed jobs recently and waiting for commissions and parts to arrive. so while waiting for all my bits to start work on the pull down and rebuild of the motor ive had done a few little bits to keep it moving forward. Also done a bit of work in the engine bay stripping and shaving/sanding before welding work begins hopefully get stuck into the engine bay after xmas

Firstly i updated the speedo cluster a bit with carbon fibre trim (not 3m rubbish) black chrome trim rings and blue needles

bs7_zpst1pwljqf.jpg

And also sent my hartge wheels away to be re-drilled (luckily just fits under the centre cap) and the lips split so i can start the re-build process

they remind me of BBS RM's

bs3_zpssumaxtit.jpg

bs4_zpsbuca5a8q.jpg

bs5_zpsgh36lbqr.jpg

bs2_zpshd2amdjm.jpg

Looking at going with 2" front and 2.5" rear lips so the fit nicely (lips are currently 1.5")

• Like 4

Where are you sourcing the lips from? Bold move redrilling them, not sure I would have the balls to that to mine!

was only a small re-drill from 5x114 to 5x120 and with new steel inserts pressed in. Will be sourcing new lips built by pine engineering, aidan seems pretty confident he can sort something out to work with these wheels

Ah right, here I was thinking it was 4x100 => 5x120 thing. Just looked up Pine Engineering and good to see that they are in Christchurch, might have to get in touch and see if they can do something with my lips.

So it's been an interesting couple of months bits and pieces going backwards and forwards.

Little work has happened on the poor e30 lately but now it's time to start getting stuck in.

After a nice engine and gearbox came up for a good price it was my original choice of power plant. So fresh into the new year I purchased a getrag 420g and m60b30.

After hours and hours researching clutches finally speaking to Darren at nzad have nailed down a single mass flywheel and clutch he has produced.

Considering sticking with the b30 and humming and not really being satisfied a few quick phones calls and I now have the big brother.

A bit of wheeling and dealing and I'm back to square one.

Time to get the welding gear out and make some progress. A pelican parts order and get the motor cleaned up and off to see Kerry for some knowledge and parts :)

post-51205-0-21714100-1453975622_thumb.j

post-51205-0-18505300-1453975651_thumb.j

post-51205-0-24369200-1453975678_thumb.j

• Like 4

X5 manifolds are the easiest to use as they're a lot easier to modify but can use others, do you know where some are?

• Like 1

Got a bit of time in the shed yesterday and crossed a few things off the list.....

Upgraded calipers, new discs, pads, shoes, braided lines all installed.

Thanks to kerry at mosens for selling me a set of mounts and will for stopping by kerrys with his vehicle so i could have a look over it and get some ideas on how it all goes together and works.

So now the beast is in the hole time to start mocking up all the bits like exhaust manifolds and coolant pipes. Also after talking to will im going to go down the path of a removable front radiator support panel to make this whole process much easier.

Its also allowed me to get more of an idea of the final fitment of the wheels and tyres which now sits where i am happy with it.

v8_zpswmizp8ew.jpg

v81_zpsww7x0q73.jpg

That firewall fitment :/ not a lot of room left, might have to do a little panel beating to give me some space........

v82_zpsihalbsop.jpg

• Like 2

Never realized they sit so far forward. Is that so the sump stays as is? Plenty of room to push it back more.

yeah the sump sits quite far forward but there is no room to move it back with the steering rack and the rear coolant hoses. pics are a little misleading. these mounts have been made so dont require having to space the subframe down and mess with the factory suspension alignment

Did you get the remote oil filter sorted?

I have one from a 735i you could have for the cost of shipping.