Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 DSP stereo issues

I've posted about this before but I'm still having issues so this time I thought I'd try posting in the appropriate sub forum..lol

The stereo in the 740i has suffered from static and clicking when the volume knob is turned. Recently it's begun cutting out the sound and beeping after about 3-4 seconds.

So today I replaced the AMP with one that I know works. I turned on the stereo and had good sound with no static or clicking but again for about 3-4 seconds then it starts beeping again. You can turn the stereo off then back on again and have another 3-4seconds of sound before it starts beeping again. You could do this all day. Turn it off, turn it on, 3-4 sec of sound then turn it off and back on and. Well, you get the idea.

I've also replaced the ignition switch so I know its not that either.

I know you guys with e39's have the same DSP systems so maybe someone has had a similar problem.

Dave, it is bound to be a fault in the radio tuner (this was mentioned in the other thread). They are common to fail with dry joints on one of the boards inside.

In the E38, it is located on the very inside (nearest the guard) in the group of units in L/H rear corner.

I have repaired a few of these over the years, some successful & a couple not.

• Like 1

Thank you.

Until you mentioned it now I thought there where only the Amp, CD changer and TV module in the boot. I just googled it and discovered I need to dig a bit deeper. The radio module is hidden behind the felt.

My job for tomorrow.

Thanks for the push in the right direction.

vw5zq.jpg

Dave, it is bound to be a fault in the radio tuner (this was mentioned in the other thread). They are common to fail with dry joints on one of the boards inside.

In the E38, it is located on the very inside (nearest the guard) in the group of units in L/H rear corner.

I have repaired a few of these over the years, some successful & a couple not

I cant thank you enough.

I dont know how I missed it in the other thread unless I was thinking radio tuner=amp.

Put another one in and it works however I'm going to have to find one from another car with the business package. The one I put in is from the profesional sound system so not all the functions are working. BUT, I have sound.

• Like 1

No problem, a pleasure to help.

Strange though on the system not operating correctly - do you have no display on the monitor?

This normally only occurs when a Professional unit is fitted to a car with a Jap nav unit still installed, they corrupt each other. The Business unit will work ok with Jap nav unit, the Professional unit is ok with no Jap nav (disconnected) or Euro nav, atleast it will with Mk3 & 4 units.

Maybe PM me & we can discuss from there.