Sign in to follow this  
gjm

1985 E30 318i 5-speed coupe

Awesome stuff Graham.

Thanks Ben. :)

Work and health have caused a bit of a slowdown.

Got one of the front wings off - still no more rust. A happy event, but still a slightly surprising one.

In the meantime, Miss M has decided the wheels need to be 15x7 BBS RZ348s. Anyone got any taking up space in a shed/garage/garden? Very happy - prefer - to have something that needs refurb.

post-51211-0-37459700-1448493609_thumb.j

post-51211-0-07591700-1448493614_thumb.j

Edited by gjm

Miss M has decided the wheels need to be 15x7 BBS RZ348s

"Dad! I must have BBS RZ348 15 by 7's for my E30! Thanks love ya xoxo" - Miss M

• Like 2

Pretty much nailed it. I think it was slightly less precise and may have been 'BBS 3-something... The pointy ones.'

• Like 3

Quick question.

The hole in the firewall. Cut out to remove rust, so there for a good reason.

Regarding a cert - would a good repair be acceptable? Or is it likely to be a case of replace the entire firewall? (Please, no!)

A good repair should be acceptable, but you might want to contact a repair certifier before you bust out the mig welder! I have repaired a LOT of rust in my e21 and the certifier is happy as long as it is done to a good standard (no bog, he needs to see it, no overlapping patches- cut patches to fit properly and butt weld at the edges)

Have fun ;)

Front strut brace completed. (Pics to follow.)

And rather than make them, we've bought a set of chassis reinforcement plates.

The car won't go any faster, but should feel nicer to drive which fits with plans. Same speed - more feel.

• Like 1

Perfect wheels ;)

The ones on the white car, or the ones on the black car?

Durn't much like either! ;-)

The ones on the white car, or the ones on the black car?

Durn't much like either! ;-)

I meant the 15x7 BBSs. :D

I meant the 15x7 BBSs. :D

Oh.... riiiight. The RZ 3-somethings. ;)

• Like 1

Front strut brace. Pretty simple provided the dimensions are correct - a bit of bent tube with a couple of pieces of bent flat stock welded to each end. :)

OK - so it's not adjustable. But we don't need adjustable.

post-51211-0-89608000-1450506736_thumb.j

• Like 3

Change of plans. Oh boy.

Miss doesn't currently harbour any long-term plans for driving stick. She'd learn in an automatic if I'd let her, but I'm insisting she learns to drive a manual first - she can do what she likes after that,

As such, I'm not going to pile blood, sweat, tears and money into sorting this car in a way I'd describe as 'properly'. The temptation is to put it back together and go from there, but if it was subsequently sold then the new owner would probably be stripping it again.

So, it's for sale. I'll sort a proper posting for that.

^ not trying to rain on your parade but why is it so important for her to learn to drive a manual FIRST?

My personal feeling is that learning to drive in a straight line, change lanes, indicate naturally, and be overall confident about being on a road WITHOUT worrying about what gear you're in and how to operate a clutch, is FAR FAR easier. Once she gets confident about actually driving around without issue, then she could learn to operate a manual gearbox without worrying about everything else. Less likely to go wrong or have an accident while trying to switch gear, look left and right, indicate, etc.

And to be honest, when do girls need to drive a manual anyway in this day and age, i mean unless she wants to out of choice..

just my 2c

It could well be just me, but it is similar to swimming and cycling. I don't expect her to excel at either, but I want to be sure she can.

Driving a manual car is something that she'll probably never learn to do, if she starts in an automatic. So I want to be sure she knows how, even if she is out of practice.

• Like 1

Learning to drive in an auto only teaches you awareness of your surroundings, you don't get the chance to learn how to control the car at all. Besides, what if she's the only person available to drive in an emergency & the only car available is manual? I've been in that situation before, not life threatening but it had the potential to go that way had we not been extremely fortunate. If you sit your licence in a slushy you cannot legally drive stick unless you prove competency by resitting in a manual.

I learned in a '52 split-screen Morris Minor, with all its 30hp of fury. Live rear end coupled with leaf sprung front suspension & 4 speed manual gearbox taught me a massive amount about getting into & out of trouble long before it became relevant on a daily basis. Only thing my parents had to be patient with was hill starts - and they never took too long to get the hang of. Taking the soft way out will do Miss M no favours.

Old fashioned they might be, but I can guarantee you my kids will learn how to drive a proper car and skid it in the paddock long before they go for lessons on the open road. And when (not if) they get themselves in the sh*t they'll stand a chance of being able to correct the situation, not having to go along for the ride.

• Like 2

^ That's about it (re the manual vs auto box). I'm just a little short of a paddock for her to learn in!

Everyone should learn in a Model A Ford. No brakes, no power, no handling, no safety, no comfort and no SYNCHROS! :lol:

At least there's only 3 gears to choose from, and first is only good for walking speed.

^ That's about it (re the manual vs auto box). I'm just a little short of a paddock for her to learn in!

We're lucky now as their grandparents have a couple acres which are suitable for young louts to swing a car about with only the danger of a few old fenceposts, as opposed to telegraph poles & oncoming semis. Assuming of course they don't try to go for a bash in the swamp :D My old man took me through the industrial areas around Takanini on Sundays when it was mostly quiet - plenty of places that are wide enough for your kid to work out the relationship between her feet & left hand :)

Good on ya for digging in and making her learn the right way first

Everyone should learn in a Model A Ford. No brakes, no power, no handling, no safety, no comfort and no SYNCHROS! :lol:

At least there's only 3 gears to choose from, and first is only good for walking speed.

Lol, sounds like my E30! :D

• Like 1