Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

A trip to Mokau. Oops new car.

So I roadtripped to Mokau today in the trusty (surprisingly) Range Rover, to pick up a new steed. Enter a 1962ish Landrover Series 2a SWB ute.

The rangerover certainly looked the part towing its dad around!

Now I'm going to be busy with a grinder and a welder for some time.

post-3253-0-39704000-1443421334_thumb.jp

post-3253-0-96940500-1443421316_thumb.jp

post-3253-0-49516000-1443421349_thumb.jp

• Like 10

I had a 1962 SWB Safari, with sun roof. In grey. Of course, us Landie types mean something completely different to what most people expect when we talk about sun roofs!

Stripped it, rebuilt it, drove it everywhere. Loved it to bits. Mrs M hated it, claiming the suspension was too hard and made her boobs bounce. Tsk. Spoilsport.

Originally a 2.25, it was bored, received a ported and polished 'head, hot cam, and twin SUs. Went like stink! The Fairey overdrive really earned it's keep, and the Fairey capstan winch (PTO) was awesome. I ran underbody runners so the winch could work to the front or rear.

I'd love another, but right now isn't the time.

• Like 1

Interesting! Plans with the welder & grinder?

Hopefully to get it back on the road, if I can work out who it is. Kind of an identity crisis due to being de-regd so long and sold multiple times, and too old for a VIN #

I washed it. It looks the same. That's nor dirt, that's damage. Paint is wrecked. Should be good fun making her good again!

I'll never forget the Top Gear episode where the where trialing all the new 4Wd's. Porsh, BMW, Range Rover. They had to go up a mildly wet hill. All the new 4WD's ended up at the bottom of the hill in a ditch and couldn't make it up the slope.

Along comes the farmer in his Series 2 Landrover and not only pulled them out of the ditch but also pulled them up over the hill.

I wonder if you could stick an m30 in one??? :ph34r:

Landys are great, my cousin has a bunch including a couple of range rovers now. Hopefully I can "borrow" one of him at some point.

Looking forward to progress

It currently has a 186 holden in it, seems like a decent motor. Although I've been considering alternatives, I wonder how it'd go with a duratec if it'd fit. Something reliable and economical would be sweet, albeit a bit out of character! :lol:

It currently has a 186 holden in it, seems like a decent motor. Although I've been considering alternatives, I wonder how it'd go with a duratec if it'd fit. Something reliable and economical would be sweet, albeit a bit out of character! :lol:

Just a bit :lol:

We borrowed my cousins 2 (or early 2a) LWB station wagon and towed a caravan over the Kaimais with it. It loved to drink the petrol.

my old man has a Rover V8 one. between that an my old Patrol i will never own a passenger car with a solid front axle again. but otherwise i do like it, the cream leather with dark piping really tickles my tastebuds, and the rover V8 as obsolete as it is does sound very cool.

I think every real kiwi has a bit of Land Rover in them, whether the like to admit it or not

• Like 2

Interesting :D

Any idea on the history of it? I remember my Grandfather owning one (or 3, he hoarded stuff, had backyard full of cars/boats/washing machines...) and lived in Mokau for many many years (Takarei terrace) . Passed away years ago, but his "collection" wouldve likely been broken up around local community.

Edited by Jacko

Yesterday evening we bought a puppy.

The seller has a S1 truck cab parked in his driveway... Rego lapsed but plates still on it. Didn't look too bad on a cursory inspection.

Apparently it's 'one of those projects I've just not got around to', according to the owner.

Hmm. I wonder... ;)

Interesting :D

Any idea on the history of it? I remember my Grandfather owning one (or 3, he hoarded stuff, had backyard full of cars/boats/washing machines...) and lived in Mokau for many many years (Takarei terrace) . Passed away years ago, but his "collection" wouldve likely been broken up around local community.

No idea sorry, has been sold de-registered so many times I don't even know what the rego was. I do need to try track it down though, for when I re-register it.

Yesterday evening we bought a puppy.

The seller has a S1 truck cab parked in his driveway... Rego lapsed but plates still on it. Didn't look too bad on a cursory inspection.

Apparently it's 'one of those projects I've just not got around to', according to the owner.

Hmm. I wonder... ;)

Do it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I got realistic about it. There is no way it was ever going back on the road, so I sold it to a guy who had a good body and wanted the running gear. I did get it driving, and to be honest it was terrible to drive. I think i'll stick with such luxuries as power steering, and more importantly synchromesh gearboxes.

Yeah, I got realistic about it. There is no way it was ever going back on the road, so I sold it to a guy who had a good body and wanted the running gear. I did get it driving, and to be honest it was terrible to drive. I think i'll stick with such luxuries as power steering, and more importantly synchromesh gearboxes.

Haha, fair enough. I thought about sticking my m30 into one of my cousins landys.

Wuss! ;)

Wuss! ;)

Yup I am. Might have to settle for a newer defender one day. I'd prefer a v8 anyway :D

I know where there is a SWB 2a with a SBC and 4-speed manual...?

I know where there is a SWB 2a with a SBC and 4-speed manual...?

Is this it?

post-51421-0-49634200-1456632802_thumb.j

Actually, no.
I was going to say that's not a S2a, but (of course) it is. I suspect only LR Series aficionados will understand!

come on man, double-clutching on the way up and down the box is where it's at.

come on man, double-clutching on the way up and down the box is where it's at.

Double? The beauty of a crash box (at least, where a S2 is concerned) is you can change gear without using the clutch at all.

I drove my '62 S2a from Oxford to Norwich (in the UK - 160 miles or so) with no clutch. Started out sweating at how hard it would be, got to Norwich with no problems and didn't bother sorting it for 3 weeks. Setting off is the only difficult bit. :)

This is the one I know of. Very seriously tempted, but I'm almost as big a wuss - I want a roof for when it rains.

post-51211-0-56925900-1456640094_thumb.j

post-51211-0-06322200-1456640122_thumb.j