Sign in to follow this  
fred_

1999 Avus Blue M5

Hi Bimmersport,

Yesterday I took ownership of a very special //M - The E39 M5. It was a rather irrational purchase, though I couldn't be happier in hindsight.

I picked the car up in Wellington. It's done 150,000kms and the previous owner had it since 37,000kms with full service history.

I plan to keep this car long-term and no major plans aside from putting on facelift goodies + muffler delete.

** A big thanks to Martin (BreakMyWindow) and Ray @ HellBM for all the help and advice!

Catching up with another Avus Blue owner on the way up:

OM4_C8397.jpg

OM4_C8406.jpg

Sitting at home next to the E46:

OM4_C8416.jpg

OM4_C8417.jpg

OM4_C8420.jpg

Edited by leebske
  • Like 12

Agreed - nice mix of M. Great to have another M5 close by. Trust you enjoyed driving it back from Welly - central plateau roads are great in an M5! Congrats!

That's my ideal garage collection right there. Congrats!

Cheers Martin! They certainly go well together.

Agreed - nice mix of M. Great to have another M5 close by. Trust you enjoyed driving it back from Welly - central plateau roads are great in an M5! Congrats!

Cheers mate. Martin was telling me about yours. Keen to see it. Will you be coming to the meet on Sunday?

Awesome!

Cheers mate.

Well done Alex. Bring it to the next Sunday coffee meet at Kyu's on the 4th

:)

Thanks Michael. I plan on it!

congrats ... looks like one of those cars is mates car he sold before he left for the states. If so, he kept it in top order.

Thats enough to make a man green with envy. Maybe a bit blue around the edges..lol

Very very nice.

Yep - will check with the boss but overdue for a meet up.

Congrats Alex!

Pity we couldn't meet up on your way up, but definitely need to got these two Avus Blue classics together for a photoshoot soon.

If I had a slot free in my shed for another car, an E46 M3 would be high on a very short list, as it's a great daily driver. My current daily driver is an Amarok............ Chalk and cheese of course but as a daily driver, a race car tow and service vehicle, plus transport for 2 Labs, the 'Rok has no peers!

I'm sure you know heaps about the M5 already, and I'd be really interested to hear your feedback of the driving experience.

As I said to you, I am more of an Audi fan than BMW (ducks), but ever since the first M5 came out I've had a huge desire to own one. In the year of owning mine I've put on about 5000 km, every one a total driving pleasure. I'm stunned by the sheer grunt of the engine, the massive torque from the very bottom of the rev range, the instantaneous throttle response from the normally aspirated engine, the brilliant steering on lock (a slight vagueness about the straight ahead courtesy of recirculation ball setup, unique in the E39 range due to space constraints), the short throw 6sp manual gearbox, and the wolf in sheep's clothing stealth.

Things I don't like? Having driven Audi quattro for 20 years, I still haven't got used to the danged traction control lighting up so regularly. Much improved since fitting a new set of Bridgestone RE11s. And the horrific fuel consumption. But in an occasional uses car not a huge problem. That's about it.

The E39 M5: last of the pure Driver's M5s!! And before Bangle screwed up the styling!! The epitome of the Ultimate Driving Machine

• Like 2