Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

E36/46/Z3 Rear shock mount reinforcement plates

As above a set of the plates that you fit to reinforce the upper rear shock mount.

Are you in any rush for the plates? I was going to get some profile cut in the next couple of weeks

I was hoping to do the car sooner rather than later, are you firm on the two weeks?

Are you in any rush for the plates? I was going to get some profile cut in the next couple of weeks

Got a price? I wouldn't mind getting some for future proofing.

It's also worth doing the rear trailing arm bush mounting points, common for the welded mounts to get cracks in them, as well as the commonly known to fail, upper and lower subframe mounting points.

The longer those are left the worse they get.

At least with the shock mounts you can see clearly if they have deteriorated or not.

The reinforcement plates are currently $50NZ from turners motorsports excluding shipping.
It shouldn't be a problem to beat that price.
Here is the first quick sketch up I still need to print it in paper to check for clearances and other potential f**kups. I'd planned on making them out of 5mm stainless. If you'd like it to be different I'm happy to make something that'll suit your needs
Me and a mate are getting a few things cut out at once to get a better price from the profile cutters.
I'll try to get some prices tomorrow and see how far away my mate is from being ready
e36%20rear%20shock%20reinforcement_zps6q

Cheers Michael Id forgotten about making the control arm reinforcement plates.

Edited by Thorburn
  • Like 1

I haven't personally seen people weld these in before.
But it wouldn't be a problem to have some mild steel ones made if people want them. I only went for stainless to avoid paint or zinc coating etc.

It's also worth doing the rear trailing arm bush mounting points, common for the welded mounts to get cracks in them, as well as the commonly known to fail, upper and lower subframe mounting points.

The longer those are left the worse they get.

At least with the shock mounts you can see clearly if they have deteriorated or not.

This is a welding job though? or is there a bolt in option?

The reinforcement plates are currently $50NZ from turners motorsports excluding shipping.

It shouldn't be a problem to beat that price.

Here is the first quick sketch up I still need to print it in paper to check for clearances and other potential f**kups. I'd planned on making them out of 5mm stainless. If you'd like it to be different I'm happy to make something that'll suit your needs

Me and a mate are getting a few things cut out at once to get a better price from the profile cutters.

I'll try to get some prices tomorrow and see how far away my mate is from being ready

Cheers Michael Id forgotten about making the control arm reinforcement plates.

Put me down for a set! :)

Yeah weld in for sure.

I'd be expecting to find cracks on the upper portion of the mounting points for the subframes in all moderate to high km E36s.

You can't see these parts unless you get a hole saw and cut the top skin from inside the car. Removing the seats and boot carpet is required. The only tricky part is to find the exact spots of where to drill with the hole saw. I achieved this by drilling through from under the car with the subframe / stud bolts already removed. I needed a special 250mm+ drill bit for the length.

Heres mine after I had a mate weld up the cracks / splits found on all these points, only one was intact, 3 had split from the sheet metal completely.

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2365.jpg

How much are the Z3 ones (universal fit) direct from BMW NZ? Possibly in stock too.

Edited by M3AN

Cheers, not really sure what I'm looking at in that picture Michael, mines under 100k still so hopefully not cracked. Is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2VcjLkly4

a job to do to prevent the cracking/requirement to weld around the bungs?

Edited by tawatech
  • Like 1

Pics I took are from the tops of the points where the subframe bolts screw into the chassis, I removed the first layer of sheet metal to get access to them. To my horror they were completely cracked, and the lower part of the mounts visible from under the car starting to split So obviously the progression of failure is from the top to the bottom, this was a 1993 example 325i with 200kms

Ill get some more pics for ya later tonight.

Edited by Michael.

How much are the Z3 ones (universal fit) direct from BMW NZ? Possibly in stock too.

E46 top mount reinforcement plates are identical and you can buy them from a dealer / parts supplier for $34.00 a pair

Same, same.

Cheers Ron and there you go folks, don't spend more than NZ$34.

a job to do to prevent the cracking/requirement to weld around the bungs?

No, you weld a new plate over the top that has holes for the existing bungs.

No, you weld a new plate over the top that has holes for the existing bungs.

Yeh, that's what I mean, you do that so the bungs don't crack off (thus requiring the welding on themselves).

And it's the top that's on the bottom like in the vid right :P

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Yeh, that's what I mean, you do that so the bungs don't crack off (thus requiring the welding on themselves).

And it's the top that's on the bottom like in the vid right :P

Didn't watch the (whole) vid. But it's simple - get plates, weld them on. :)

E46 top mount reinforcement plates are identical and you can buy them from a dealer / parts supplier for $34.00 a pair

Which dealer? If they're cheap enough there's no reason to make them

I'd tried the local dealer today and they were more than $34 each.

During the call I checked pelican parts and found them for $32+ shipping for a pair

team mc $55 each +gst ex Germany
Coombes $51.18 each +gst
Jerry Clayton $54 each +gst ex Germany

If I can make them up for $30 a pair are people still interested? They'll should be ready to go late next week/ early the week after

I don't need them (already have them) but $30 a pair is good.

They're US$12 each (+ shipping) from Schmiedmann (51-71-8-413-359) so, given the exchange rate that would be more than NZ$30.

At James' price everybody should get some.

I'll also take a set for that money.

I'll put myself down for a set. Would be keen for two sets of the trailing arm reinforcements if you were to make any