Sign in to follow this  
NVADER

Dirty Thirty

Sold my big toys to buy a house but got bored and then got offered this for $400 from my little brothers mate who was going into the army.

It's a 1990 316i automatic and is as poverty spec as possible; wind up windows, clock in the dash etc, but I'm in love with it.

When I got it, it looked like this:
539b05c351505979d21c5ee8c635e2a0.jpg

I scored a set of superlows so they went in, and then with some unbelievably good luck, spied a set of 4x100 rims in a mates garage that had been plasticoated black and were almost unrecognisable. Apparently his old mx5 shell came with them as spares..Got them for a couple hundred thinking they'd be better than hubcaps until I found something better. Took them home, discovered that they're actually borbet type a's, peeled the plasticoat off and found that they were basically brand new - nice. They're also the perfect offset.

Also painted the grills black, chucked some roof racks on and taped my full beams for shits and giggles. It now looks like this:

1645663a91f29f8e4ca5e4f4765b95f6.jpg
f5584101d580f784dd16c9e2c71bf547.jpg

More to come :)

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Edited by NVADER

Another before and after:

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the borbets before they got a proper polish

Posted Image

So far I've also bought a rear disc set up as this currently has hubs, and an m40b18 which I'm planning on whacking whatever turbo I find first onto the side of...

Will probably get the new old trailing arms and discs fitted on Friday night. May do the rear subframe too if the bushes look shot.

So rest of the list so far is

Manual box

Lsd

Exhaust

E36 rack conversion (standard one is leaking like a sieve)

Turbo set up

Bigger, better tires.

Dumb dents fixed.

Open to any suggestions for other mods too!

Edited by NVADER
  • Like 1

Good luck doing only trail arms, I'd do the whole lot in one shot. Absolute c*nt of a job, I rate it worse than doing engine or gearbox swaps.

Good luck doing only trail arms, I'd do the whole lot in one shot. Absolute c*nt of a job, I rate it worse than doing engine or gearbox swaps.

Really? What's so hard about it? I had a quick look the other night and couldn't see any major complications..

Really? What's so hard about it? I had a quick look the other night and couldn't see any major complications..

The major complication is its an E30, nice car!

Rear discs done. Pretty straightforward job for two people I thought. Most time consuming part was removing the bolts attaching the axles to the diff really as they were very hard to crack.

Funny story. Me and a mate finished it at about 4am this morning, double checked everything, bled the brakes and then dropped the car down. We waited about 10 minutes and then started it up to do a quick brake test in the driveway but it wouldn't move...felt like the brakes were locked. Jacked it back up, checked everything again and we couldn't figure it out.

We were just about to shut the garage and label it a tomorrow project when I noticed the chocks we'd put under the front wheels were still jammed under the front wheels.....good times :D

Got sick of comments about my super sweet rally crosses so have just finished yellow tints. Looks pretty good I think :)

Excuse the poor quality photos. Tapatalk may be the worst app I've ever used.

Posted Image

Took to the paint over the weekend. Full cut and polish. Managed to take off a lot of the touch up paint that had been put on by a previous owner and it looks a million times better. Not sure how well the photos will show it but here goes...

Before:

1e9c0ee62bfa9ab6e6344359052cb468.jpg
05cd1815b1583589f3a211c94b01e67c.jpg
e96963a76c1100216a80254244aed1ba.jpg

After:

b0d878b4d1f43e2362adff0154b69afa.jpg
c97a796917c83dd914b32a08a71f357d.jpg
35c2e8cbb34159436f839e5d3b8dbf01.jpg
c3ce5f3d2092e42db2f5ce2e84d3fa39.jpg

New engine is hopefully arriving later today so the real work will begin soon...

Edited by NVADER
  • Like 3

And so it begins...

Still tossing up what do about fuelling with the turbo conversion. As everything's being done on a relatively tight budget I'd rather not go down the track of putting a full ems in unless there's no other option. Seems to be bugger all information on turbo m40's though so will be plenty of trial and error.

Any input welcome :)

4b6d6931a69d596857ff133c2b2eae5c.jpg

Do an engine swap rather than turboing the m40... E.g. an m42

Been a bit of a change of plans. I've bought a second e30 with an m20b20 and a manual box so that will more than likely donate its engine and box to this initially. At the same time, the urge to build an angry turbo m40 is strong....decisions decisions..

So much for a tight budget :lol:

In the mean time, more pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Definitely turbo it. Cant wait to see what you come up with, great base to start with!

• Like 1

Came home with a bit too much motivation tonight so put my e90 drop hats in. Didn't make much of a difference really but had them sitting around so why not. When these tires are worn out I'll go for a bit less stretch and a bit more wall and they should fill the guards nicely.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No major progress on this yet as we're moving house in a couple of weeks but have still been ordering parts and ticking things off the list.

The original bootlid had a meke dent in it from the previous owner reversing into a letterbox. The car's not immaculate by any stretch but this one stuck out like a sore thumb.

The one off the parts car was mint apart from the factory spoiler holes so have had those welded up and the boot repainted inside and out. Couldn't have asked for a better job really.

Original:

Posted Image

New:

Posted Image

needs colour matched bumpers!

Hadn't thought of that but yeah. It totally does.

In the meantime, any pro tips on getting the number plate surrounds, pillars etc back to black?

Edited by NVADER

Tyre shine for short term solution, other wise talk to Sam at Obsessive Car Detailling, i cant remember the name of the product bet its the one to get

This arrived today :D

Posted Image

• Like 2

Finally into the new house and Christmas debacle is over so I've actually been able to start working on extracting the engine/drivetrain from the donor car.

Exhaust is stuffed/rusty as hell and I'll be getting a new 3" one made up in time anyway so I've just cut it off as close to the headers as possible for the time being.

Also sussed a few more bits:

Revshift engine and gearbox mounts, control arm bushes, and their rear subframe package

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also scored an e36 steering rack in good condition. Believe it's from a 318is which I know isn't the most desirable but both my e30 ones are leaking badly anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lucky enough to have a mate who's a beast mode welder so he's been contracted to make up the turbo manifold, exhaust, install the garagistic reinforcement package and also make up the driveshaft hoops needed for the cert. Pics to come soon :)

Edited by NVADER

Luving it so far. This is going to be epic when finished.

Engine, driveshaft and gearbox are out at last. Load leveller made it so easy. Starting to get a tad worried about the amount of room or lack of it between the exhaust manifold and the firewall as I was hoping to fit a 3" pipe down there.

Anyway, I'm a walking advertisement for simple green and chemz grease eater now. The gearbox came up mint! Also replaced the rear seal on the box and the cushion thing on the shifter arm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by NVADER
  • Like 1

There's heaps of room for a 3" exhaust, especially if keeping the m20.

There's heaps of room for a 3" exhaust, especially if keeping the m20.

Yeah well it's been done plenty of times so it must work. Just doesn't look like a big enough gap with the stock manifold on there

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk