Sign in to follow this  
jake1829

B58 engine

So its called a B58B30?

They could have used another letter other than B for the engine series, given the B has always been used before the capacity.

argh, rear timing chain....

#AUDITHOUGHTITWASAGOODIDEATOO

• Like 2

They're really designing cars so only trained technicians with unique service tools can work on them.

So few of these cars will be able to be repaired in 20-30 years time.

This is why I love 80s-90s tech. Fewer bullshite designs

• Like 2

Regardless of the rear-timing chain and increased focus on "only trained techs can touch our engines" - A closed deck single turbo design will be excellent at making decent power. Will be interesting to see what people end up doing with the 340 comparable to what they've done with the 335i.

• Like 1

Wasn't that keen on looking at the M2 as it was getting the N55 engine , but with this variant I would assume the M2 gets a "tweaked up" version of the B58, hopefully as much potential as the US tuners are getting on the S55 engine at the moment

I wonder if this next generation of engine will be as easily reflashed and lifted in power.

I wont be surprised if the software engineers do some clever security coding to prevent general tuning places with the old generation equipment from re-flashing them to make more power. In theory it would be plausible to expect that so it protects their flagship M3/M4 models stock power output etc.

I wonder if this next generation of engine will be as easily reflashed and lifted in power.

I wont be surprised if the software engineers do some clever security coding to prevent general tuning places with the old generation equipment from re-flashing them to make more power. In theory it would be plausible to expect that so it protects their flagship M3/M4 models stock power output etc.

BMW did that on the N54 when they started selling their PPK kits, the IJE0S firmware on my ECU on my car was encrypted unlike the earlier 2006-2008 versions when it first came out, took the tuners like a year to get the key/crack it

From what I am seeing on the forums , the current m3/m4 ECU seems to be encrypted/locked - there are tuners doing a flash re-writes (take out ECU, send it to them etc - ESS etc (not like the current flashing via the ODB2 port etc) and there are piggyback options eg the JB4

• Like 1

Ah ha so its already like that.

I guess if there's a will, there's a way. If people are willing to $$$ up as well!

Pretty much with anything - if it can be done, it can be undone. With the right tools & knowledge of course

"5. The turbocharger has its own dedicated electric coolant pump;"

That doesn't sound at all problematic. :/

• Like 1