Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

E39, E38, E46, E53 TV unlocking (TV on the move)

If your car has the original 4:3 Video Module this should work (it worked on 1998 model):

Watch TV / Videotext during driving

This works on all 5/7 Series with the Mark I Navigation System (the one with the male voice).

On Mark II (the newer version with the female voice) you have to use "brightness" instead of contrast for TV and "colour" instead of brightness for videotext to get the trick to work.

This works on the latest 99 7-series models as well. This does not appear to work for the latest BMWs sold in Europe (2000 onward, 3/5/7 series). The software updates for latest navigation CD-ROM's do not appear to affect or disable this trick.

1. set ignition to pos. II
2. enter TV mode
3. enter "settings"
4. enter "contrast" (BRIGHTNESS)
5. when the green contrast bar is visible, push the knob and keep it pressed
6. turn ignition off (keep button pressed!)
7. wait 8-10 seconds (timing must be accurate!)
8. release the knob
9. turn on ignition again

Now the TV will operate while the car is in motion, though you certainly should leave that to your passengers only while driving. To watch videotext use the same procedure as above, but choose "brightness" instead of "contrast"

button155.jpg

Edited by dkonsta1

Yes but this only applies to gen 1 video modules - up to 09/98.

Beyond that, the 2nd gen unit requires programming the SW with Navcoder etc, My 99 car original video module (gen 2) required this. When i upgraded to gen 3 & (16:9) monitor, required the same.

Not of much use now unless you have add on DVD player or add on Digital TV via the AV circuit

Martin, I can code your old TV on the move module if needed. Remind me, will bring to beers and do it. PS bring socket set and screw drivers.

Martin, I can code your old TV on the move module if needed. Remind me, will bring to beers and do it. PS bring socket set and screw drivers.

Do you mean to enable TV on the move? If so I've done that using navcoder.

• Like 1

Dmitrios, can you provide the details on modifying the late model Video module for Free View? Keen to have a crack it.

Neal has sent the link. Sorry I have been away for a while

And there I was thinking my TV modules were just a bit of useless extra weight to carry around.

This is going on my list of things to do.

^^^^^^^And use to integrate a reversing camera into the OEM screen. You need them on your cars Dave :)

Edit. Digital TV still an issue with reception (out of main centres anyway)

I fitted one as a test exercise. Reception was fine while driving around Hamilton city - there is a dedicated transmitter in the city.

Out of the city it was receiving from a more distant transmitter (where our home digital receives from) picture soon started pixelating then failed/intermittently re appearing.

No reception at home but do get while sitting in the middle of the intersection 100m from home :ph34r:

Was meant to be work in progress to try & amplify the reception ability but have dropped the ball with it. This reminds me...

Edited by hotwire
  • Like 1

I was thinking to organise a group buy for the cables.

they are quite cheap on ebay but if we get 5 or more we save heaps on the total cost.

The other circuit board for sale also looks interesting. ( stacker board with Ibus connection and i2s audio conversion for Raspberry Pi 2)

It has a relay to handle reverse cam / raspberry video out

Have been thinking about replacing my carpc with a raspberry Pi running Kodi and installing it in a cd stacker chassis. This would enable me to have 400 odd lossless albums on

http://pibus.info/buy4/

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1