Sign in to follow this  
tawa

The inevitable e36 coupe project

I've got a 265 with no bellhousing so I could take some measurements and have a play around

• Like 1

The manual is in, just breaking in the clutch still, but first gear is a laugh, topping out at about 50kmhr. Need to do a little more work with the shifter as the boot and sound deadener from the compact doesn't fit the console. And need to tell the DME to adjust a few values for the manual.

I've got a 265 with no bellhousing so I could take some measurements and have a play around

Yeh let me know what measurements you need.

f**king hit a hare coming back from HB over easter. Hadn't updated my pest threat assessment since owning a van; won't make that mistake again.

Took it on the left between fog light and number plate I think, cracked the bumper out from the center and off to the left just along the bottom, which then pushed back and smashed a side off the panel the goes under the rad and trans cooler (what does that do anyway?). The air duct for the brakes also pushed back, damaged the plastic bit it sockets into behind that, and ripped the top mount of same bit (goes right around under the guard). Fog light also had it's little clip bit broken.

f**king rabbits are pests alright...

Anyway, plastic welded up the guard, will plastic weld up the bumper, do something about the fog light; and add a splitter and partial engine undertray just in case old peter cottontail has any suicidal friends.

Think I'll do the pair and put a diffuser on as well, always try to turn every fix-up job into an improvement...

• Like 1

Plastic welded all the bits up this arvo. Then measured up the bumper and underbody.

Looking at a two level design, the bumper 'skid plate' extending forwards 60mm at sides and 30 in center for the splitter, then a motor plate put 40mm lower to get under the sway bar, which runs the full length of the motor, finishing at the drive tunnel cross brace. Motor plate will be four bolts (two on the sway bar mounts, two on the cross brace), then slid down and forward to remove.

Designed it up for profile cut ACM, didn't really want to use this due to its edges, but might be able to put a rubberised paint on them or something.

Anyway, let me know if there is any clearance bits or other issues I've overlooked!

post-52830-0-03181500-1459415624_thumb.j

• Like 1

Got the ACM parts back today, looks better than expected...

Fitted it together then just propped it up under there to see how it looks. Will fit properly over the weekend.

post-52830-0-27586900-1460621210_thumb.j

Very interested to see how this under tray fits in the final wash up.

It fitted ok, some of the measurements were off, so some holes needed slotting this time. Overall I'm happy with the fit and look of it, will see about getting some thick brush on plastidip for the edges...

Anyway, here's the pics.

post-52830-0-53534400-1460862641_thumb.j

post-52830-0-80153700-1460862669_thumb.j

post-52830-0-39198800-1460862697_thumb.j

post-52830-0-46962800-1460862738_thumb.j

post-52830-0-04372400-1460862761_thumb.j

post-52830-0-46709400-1460862815_thumb.j

post-52830-0-36679500-1460862850_thumb.j

• Like 6

nice work ,looks good .

Looks cool, but you shouldn't use bricks to hold a car up as they can crack or crumble expectantly.

Wood is fine, just not bricks.

• Like 1

Yeh that's a good point, I did have backup wood blocks under there when I was as well though.

looks neat, i prefer with the E36 bumpers to remove all of that under tray crap so its 4 easy bolts on the front of the bumper and the whole bumper comes off. looks like you have solved that problem!

Yeh that's a good point, I did have backup wood blocks under there when I was as well though.

Axle stands from supacheap can be had for little money. You will wonder how you ever did without them.

• Like 1

looks neat, i prefer with the E36 bumpers to remove all of that under tray crap so its 4 easy bolts on the front of the bumper and the whole bumper comes off. looks like you have solved that problem!

Still need the screws to go hold the interior wheel guards captive though, so I've left them all in there.

Axle stands from supacheap can be had for little money. You will wonder how you ever did without them.

cheap on trademe too. $30.00 delivered for 3T pairs. awesome! buy two pair, you'll easily need 'em.

• Like 2

Ordered them, thank's for the tip Olaf.

Coded the Kombi and EWS today to get rid of the transmission warning light. Also rumors it will change some of the DME values so it runs more like a manual (not rev hanging so much between gears) but I'm not too confident that will be the case. Might have to mess with the ICV, bit ridiculous with a lightweight flywheel for the revs to hang a second or so when changing.

The more I think about it, the more I see other symptoms of an ICV that could be clogged up or leaking or something, might pull it out for a clean tomorrow...

you're welcome, John! Perhaps you can make it along to one of the future wellymeets! I'm enjoying watching the progress on your e36 project.

cheers

Yeh I've been vaguely keeping an eye out for meets close to local, been busy the last few though.

How tacky are these actually? I bought a set hoping to get the local signwriters to redo the centers to white or silver and bronze cos I like bronze things and the traditional blue doesn't match any other color on her. But, they're actually really well made, stamped metal with colored stickers then plastic coated on top and getting colors changed looks trickier that expected to do right.

So I guess my question is, will anyone piss in my tailpipe if I have these on as faux-fibre black/silver?

160823-IMG_20160823_175902.jpg

Edited by tawatech

10 minutes ago, tawatech said:

So I guess my question is, will anyone piss in my tailpipe if I have these on as faux-fibre black/silver?

I wouldn't, they shouldn't but it may depend on the colour of your car. These look best on black IMHO.

I think they are alright as long as you have matching front and rear and wheel caps all the same

Been a while since I updated this thread, done a few minor changes since (apparently I hadn't updated since I got the new rims), new DME with stock manual tune, LSD went in.

And got what is probably going to be a donor car, will try to revive her, but with a dipstick as dry as an arab's sandal I don't hold out a huge amount of hope.

170226-IMG_20170226_160151.jpg

• Like 1

so what's the *real* story?  We need catching up, mate.

A bunch of somewhat specific questions:

• The wheels look awesome (I'm biased), particularly that colour in low light against the red.  Are they Lewis' old ones?
  • What ratio is your LSD?  Are you out of the 3k rpm at 100kph zone, yet?
  • How's she running overall?  Getting plent of use?
  • Your new donor car - whats it going to be donating?  
  • What's up with the red one that you need to fix?  

... Or are you coming out on the welly roadtrip to Ngawi in March?

cheers

haha, I need to catch up also; haven't had the free time to work on this I had hoped.

Can't remember who I bought them off, someone off here, think it was Dapper.

2.93LSD, since it has been manual converted with a 5 speed, the 3.46 needed to much revs at cruise, this one is much better at about 2700.

Running pretty well, still a small issue with revs during a shift but I've got a plan to track that down. Clutch needs a booster or something, way too heavy atm, after driving the ranger I got back in mine and stalled a large number of times.

Not too sure, I only had time to pick it up and stash it at my parents last weekend, will give it a better look over soon.

Not too sure on Ngawi, haven't thought that far ahead. Has that place became recently famous or something? have heard about it from a couple of different sources in the last week or two.

Edited by tawa

Started making a thing...

170308-IMG_20170308_194129.jpg

• Like 6