Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

M50 Swap Wiring Loom

I am doing a M50 swap into an e30 and have heard conflicting information of which wiring loom to use e36 or e34 the best loom to use as have heard one is longer than other?

e34 loom is probably easier as the ECU is on the same side as the e30, e36 the ECU is over on the passenger side and has to be completely re-jigged to get the ECU over to the driver's side. You can install the ECU in the battery tray area using a sealed box, but is probably much better to get the ECU into the cabin where the e30 ECU normally sits.

I have not used an e34 loom, but have used an e32 loom to fit a M60 in one of my e30's, it still requires quite a bit of work to make it go inside the cabin as the e32/34 have the ECU in the engine bay. You will probably be cutting all the auto wiring off as well...

I have done a few e36 looms(M52B28 conversion), as stated they need to be 'inverted' to get into the cabin on the driver's side and also will probably need to have the auto wiring removed unless you have a manual loom handy..

Pic from my m60-e30 conversion wiring just to inspire you... :P

uKp5kWM.jpg

All it takes is removing the black box the wiring is held in on the E36 loom, then it easily reaches the stock ECU mounting location. You can tuck it into the M40 loom covers too with abit of work.

E36 m52b28 loom work on an early m50b25nv? as a mate has only in his shed he's not usingwould rather that than trying to cut and re-join wires to get the ecu into the cabin

Huh? You don't need to cut anything. And no, M52 is siemens, m50nv was still Bosch. All the connectors etc are different.

Oh I wouldn't bother, I've done M50 and M52 and both times e36 loom, installed exactly how the m20 loom is up along firewall, in through the same hole and ECU under the steering.

just finished this swap and above post is correct, M50b25 from an e36 i used and it nicely tucked away under my 318 plastics and stock mounting point for the ecu. had to cable tie it up into it but still works never the less.

• Like 1

Sorry but I don't understand why you need just the loom? Shouldn't the engine have come with one or not? The only thing that needs changing is the end x20 plug to the e30 c101.

My motor did come with a loom but it's a e34 loom so as my ex just will be running very close to the battery tray I do not want the ecu to be there