Sign in to follow this  
kmx

Newbie to BMW buying e90 335i

Hello

Im seriously considering giving something non jap a go as my next car.

Im looking at buying a e90 335i and I'm asking if there is anything specific i should look for or are there specific things i should check when inspecting cars before i buy them. A service menu or corrosions or marks in certain places etc.

Im looking at a couple of imported 07/08 models with 60/80kms on them in stock condition.

Any tips or thoughts much appreciated.

Im also keen to have the car i like inspected by someone independent, any suggestions on a mobile car mechanic for repurchase who know about these kinds of cars would be great too.

Thanks

Edited by kmx

Talk to Ross at BMWorkshop Botany (09) 2716636. He has a lot of experience with these models. He has done a lot of modifications on these as well

Hello

Im seriously considering giving something non jap a go as my next car.

Im looking at buying a e90 335i and I'm asking if there is anything specific i should look for or are there specific things i should check when inspecting cars before i buy them. A service menu or corrosions or marks in certain places etc.

Im looking at a couple of imported 07/08 models with 60/80kms on them in stock condition.

Any tips or thoughts much appreciated.

Im also keen to have the car i like inspected by someone independent, any suggestions on a mobile car mechanic for repurchase who know about these kinds of cars would be great too.

Thanks

PM SENT

here you go... some research i did earlier this year while looking.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/52207-thinking-about-buying-a-135i/#entry563049

Thank you very much. Very handy

Wow that's quite a list of what feels like high value parts that seem like they should last way longer, some even I would have thought should last the life of the car. Or at least 100k.

I guess it's a much higher performance motor so things wear quicker.

Very helpful and shows the importance of getting a bmw experienced mechanic to pre purchase check my 335i. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theyre not all that bad ... that's just a list of the common things to look for and the common serviceable items on the n54 motor. Some of those problems don't escape the n55 either EG high pressure fuel pump is still an issue, after the third OE part manufacture having a go at it.

Put it this way, im still considering one when the time is right.

The newer ones with the N55 single turbo motors are an improvement as far as reliability is concerned.

N54s are better for enthusiasts who want to tune them for more power and are happy to spend more money on it.

Very unlikely that you'll get hit with all those problems at once and I think the intervals for the water pump and HFPF there are not correct, seen many reports of them lasting several times that mileage...

Edited by Matth5

awesome, i understand thanks guys.
Yea my budget won't stretch to the newer n55, I'm looking at a couple of 50km 335i next week so will see how i go.

cheers

Very unlikely that you'll get hit with all those problems at one and I think the intervals for the water pump and HFPF there are not correct, seen many reports of them lasting several times that mileage...

My info came directly from Ross @ BM Workshop. It all depends on the usage, year, manufacture of parts. But as we see mostly Japanese cars here with different fuel grades than say the US then I tend to look at stuff on the internet with a grain of salt these days.

Hi. I have a 2007 335i. Very nice car. The thinking man's M3. Very reliable. Replaced a faulty HPFP (common fault). Replaced with OEM Pierburg from Euro Italian for about $400 plus fitting. Also the trans oil pans leak (common E90 problem). I replaced the run flats with Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2. More comfortable and a better performing tyre than pretty much anything except PZero (at twice the price). I have just recently remapped the ECU with a JB4. Now putting out 400HP on aggressive tune setting. Still getting used to this. Lots of low end torque now, losing traction in 3rd gear. A great mod for USD500.

• Like 1

I have just recently remapped the ECU with a JB4. Now putting out 400HP on aggressive tune setting. Still getting used to this. Lots of low end torque now, losing traction in 3rd gear. A great mod for USD500.

Really!? No hardware changes :blink: ??