Sign in to follow this  
Newcomer

Been lurking for a while but never did one of these so how about now

Hi guys,

Always like the classic appearance of the oldschool BMWs, so I got an e30 since I can't afford the other models and ended up with this thing:

RDZiw0c.jpg?1

I would have taken it out to do a better picture but currently it doesn't run since I'm in the process of doing the traditional new owner maintenance schedule (timing belt, waterpump, etc). It needs a bit of maintenance done in general (paint fixes, seat reupholster, fluids, rust fixes) but the body seems to be relatively clean and accident free. No boot, roof, fender, or pillar rust as far as I can tell though there is a bit on the inner sill where it looks like someone has used a trolley jack and crushed the sill as well as removed the rust protection coating.

Anyhow, I aim to restore this as well as I can within my budget and just use it as a weekend car. No hooning or anything like that, gonna keep it in good condition and preserved for future generations!

(If anyone is wondering why it is sitting lower than the factory sport suspension, one of the previous owners replaced it with the Bilstein + H&R combo)

Edited by Newcomer
  • Like 4

Nice car... looks very tidy! I know you haven't had it long, but how do you find the H&R Bilstein setup? Not too crashy? (thinking about this setup for my own car)

Is it LHD?

I'm no expert (the only stock suspension e30 I've ever driven had badly worn shocks) but I've heard from a number of people that the Bilstein + H&R combo replicates the feel of the original motorsport suspension quite well. I'd say it's definitely less stiff than some of the more stanced e30s that I've tried out though I have no idea what those were running. There's a bit of bounce in it and it clears speedbumps well but there's definitely a lot less body roll than the Toyota Corolla that I daily (as if these two can even be compared).

And well spotted, it is a lefty.

Very nice E30.

Welcome to the forum. I'll look forward to seeing your project thread.

Welcome, nice e30 you have there, i like your idea of preserving it for future generations, doesnt happen enough.

Lovely E30!

Now what about this boring Toyota you also have?? :P

Toyota make plenty of interesting cars, such as a particular RWD Corolla from 30 years ago that's worth about 15 - 18k now. Unfortunately my daily is a boring auto FWD Corolla from about 10 years ago that's probably worth about 4k :mellow: