Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

BMW 850 CSI manual (Japanese Auction)

Mmmmmmm :)

Manual! Nice :-) Funky interior colour too.

• Like 1

He won't need to... 2M JPY is a few hundy short of $25k. Pretty sure his house is worth that much more every fortnight at the mo.

But fuel costs ! :P

He won't need to... 2M JPY is a few hundy short of $25k. Pretty sure his house is worth that much more every fortnight at the mo.

2M isnt the asking price, its the auction start price. Sometimes Japanese car auctions sell for double the start price.

I luv thats it's a manual and the color combo is different too. Shame it's a lefty.

Pretty sure it's Barbados Green and a bad photo. Actual colour is more like this:http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/bmw/4427637.jpg

Quite a few late model 840s in the UK came with the same colour and interior combo as an individual option.

Beautiful car but a standard 850i is expensive enough to maintain without tech like AHK steering - prone to failure and expensive to repair!

• Like 1

Thread title is a misnomer, as are all the comments about the car being a "manual".

C'mon guys, don't you know that the 850CSi only came as a 6-speed manual?!

Just 1510 units were produced by BMW M - they were an M8 in all but name.

This is a January '94 Euro-spec (EG91) car and is quite possibly the lowest mileage example in existence.

It should fetch well over $NZ100k - likely to a European or US buyer.

• Like 4

What is AHK steering?

Real Wheel steering. Touch wood the only prob I had with mine is some rusty piping that needed replacement. Sadly "no one in NZ" seems to be able to handle metric /DIN high pressure fittings and pipework so had to buy BMW parts.

Oh right 4 wheel steering haha.

My Soarer also has active 4 wheel steering. I love it, night and day between my one that doesn't.

I would have tried to find an E31 with 4ws, its worth it on bigger cars like that.

In all consideration from what I've seen such systems are very reliable, at the end of the day its a less stressed steering rack that only moves a few degrees. Probably more likely to blow a headgasket!

My Z32 300zx had HICAS which was nissan's equivalent of 4WS. Utterly horrible and almost every z32 owner deleted it.
Would hope that BMW's is much better.

An interesting one. Maybe the Nissan version wasn't active and a bit agricultural in its operation?

Seems crazy to delete what is a well proven system, if done right.

The AHK was essentially designed to provide the CSi with superior high speed lane changing capability on the autobahns - and it worked.

Porsches and Ferraris struggled to match it in this mode.

It wouldn't surprise me if bmw pioneered it, i think the gtr skylines used it to great effect in racing.

At low speeds the front and rear wheels turn to opposite lock to give a smaller turning circle, but at high speed they turn to the same lock making the vehicle basically slide sideways rather than front first and rear follow.