Sign in to follow this  
dirty36

E36 Bilstein shocks

Where can I find some bilstein shocks for my e36 325i for a decent price? There's only a few options on trademe and I could buy adjustable suspension for the price they are asking.. (or another shock that can perform just as well)

Cheers.

Cheap adjusties off TardMe are not a Bilstein equivalent. You want good gear, you will need to open your wallet...

How much would you say they are worth then? Because at the moment It's looking over a grand without springs.

Should be looking at $300-450 for front shocks, $300 ish for rears each.

Bilstiens are one of the best makes in the game and will last for years and years and years, and then they can be rebuilt.

Cheap Chinese coil overs should be avoided at all costs.

Keep in mind proper brand coil overs cost thousands and should only be used on the track IMO.

Should be looking at $300-450 for front shocks, $300 ish for rears each.

Bilstiens are one of the best makes in the game and will last for years and years and years, and then they can be rebuilt.

Cheap Chinese coil overs should be avoided at all costs.

Keep in mind proper brand coil overs cost thousands and should only be used on the track IMO.

Okay sweet, I just wasn't too sure what the price would be to start with haha. Yeah defiantly want to go for good quality shocks over coil overs as it's only a street car.

While the quality of the parts is one aspect. The major difference between conventional Macpherson struts like the E36s use and coil overs is the size of the springs and their respective spring rates.

For NZ roads, BMW Motorsport springs that sit a bit lower are all you really need, anything stiffer, especially in E36s can get pretty jarring.

I've got Bilsteins, unsure if motorsport or bilstein springs but they handle far better than my other coupes with motorsport struts and lovells/cobras

• Like 2

I can help with brand new bilstein sport shocks. Pm me if your interested

Moral of the story, buy an active suspension car for the best of both worlds when it comes to shock & suspension control / damping on various surfaces :P

As Ron says, not all Bilsteins are rebuildable. Get in touch with Stocks for Koni, replaced the worn Bilsteins on the front of my car with M-spec equivalent Konis, very happy with the results

Thanks for the replies, So a decent lowering spring and Koni adjustable shocks to match sounds like a good choice.

Edited by dirty36

If you just want a M Sport equivalent then Koni StrT shock seem to match M Sport springs, springs that are any firmer will overwhelm the rebound ability of the StrT shocks. I have run Bilsteins and Konis on an e36 and lean towards Koni as the rebound rate can be adjusted. There are in my experience just as big gains to be had by replacing the suspension bushes and uprating they sway bars.

• Like 1