Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

E36 M3 vanos part needed (single vanos)

Hey guys,

The thrust gear in my vanos unit (s50 b30) has melted its bearings so I'm looking for a new one.... or failing that, a replacement vanos unit. By thrust gear I mean the gear that pokes out the back of the vanos assembly and pushes into the cam to advance the timing.

They seem to be very hard to find in NZ. Everyone I've approached (including Ray at HellBM), has suggested looking to UK for a solution - either just for the gear I need, or a whole unit.

Does anyone have a spare unit lying around..? :-) Failing that, can anyone recommend a good supplier over there? I've sent the crowd called 'Mr Vanos' a message, and have also been in touch with 'Dr Vanos' in the US. Might be nice to deal with a company that doesn't sound like a supervillain.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

James

Edited by jaimzthedrummer

hey james

why no just replace the bearing?

we hae justreplaced the bearings in ours and they were a stanard size and only about $12 each

failing that, send me a mesage as i do know off some complete spline shafts in the uk which were about 60pound each inc pst

hope this helps

why no just replace the bearing?

we hae justreplaced the bearings in ours and they were a stanard size and only about $12 each

Hey Arron,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of touch for a few days.

Really..!? Mechanic said the bearings were built in to the gear... and I don't know enough to have questioned this. I will now though.

Be interested to hear about the UK options though. I'll send you a PM.

Ta,

James

Update: Arron, you legend!

I got the P&S guys onto this and yup, the bearing is an off the shelf replacement. Problem solved!

I dunno if you're based in Auckland but if you ever come along to the monthly sushi meet, your lunch will be on me!

Thanks again.

James. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk