Sign in to follow this  
Rubix

Cheapest place for Castrol Edge 10w-60?

Need to service my car soon - S50B30, Where would I find the cheapest Castrol Edge 10w-60?
I have a trade discount with Supercheap so 5L works out to $89.99, I understand I'll need a 5L plus 2 1L bottles.

Anyone know of it on special anywhere? :)

Also where would I find an Oil filter for it? Supercheap? BM World?

Cheers

Edited by Rubix

I'd run Penrite Premium 5w-50 or 10w-60. The 5w is probably best for start up, I've always felt 10w is too thick for NZ conditions.

I've come to find Penrite is a better marketed product with actual data & figures of what additives it contains. It's CAMs approved and of course LL-98 BMW rated.

IMO, Castrol seems to have superficial marketing, that is over-hyped to appeal to brand fanboys, as is the Shell Helix Ultra / Ferrari thing.

I'd run Penrite Premium 5w-50 or 10w-60. The 5w is probably best for start up, I've always felt 10w is too thick for NZ conditions.

I've come to find Penrite is a better marketed product with actual data & figures of what additives it contains. It's CAMs approved and of course LL-98 BMW rated.

IMO, Castrol seems to have superficial marketing, that is over-hyped to appeal to brand fanboys, as is the Shell Helix Ultra / Ferrari thing.

I didnt want to get involved in the oil argument, again, but my S50B30 was very happy on 5W40 Valvoline Synpower.

• Like 2

I didnt want to get involved in the oil argument, again, but my S50B30 was very happy on 5W40 Valvoline Synpower.

just picked up 3 bottles of this at supercheapauto bathurts special for $44.95 a bottle. stoked!

• Like 1

Further to that, not sure it needs the 10W60 either (unless its being subject to track-style abuse):

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49946&page=4

Rubix - Out of curiosity, do you have the owners handbook and what does it say?

When I had my s50b32 I changed to 10W40 or 50 (can't remember) on a reputable mechanic's recommendation. My general oil temps were lower and the vanos was quieter.

if the owners handbook is anything like my M3 one (which it wont be, its a S50 swapped 328), it didnt specify an oil grade.

Edited by KwS

The Warehouse has this really nice brand, Samson, for cheap.

Buy two and you will observe there is a colour difference...

Pretty sure thats lamp oil and BBQ cleaner..

• Like 3

just picked up 3 bottles of this at supercheapauto bathurts special for $44.95 a bottle. stoked!

Hah!

I got 7 (yes seven) bottles of 5w30 edge for $280 at that same sale.

I win the internet.

For the OP, I suggest buying 3x 5litre bottles (which will do two services) than buying the 1 litre bottles as its cheaper.

Super cheap will have another oil sale soon I'm sure.

• Like 1

i didnt know that you could just order online until i went to 2 different stores to find that it was out of stock. the guy was like.. hmm? why dont u just order online? even though we have no stock, you will get it delivered in a few days. WIN!

the s50 really should be run on 10w60 ... you end up with the dreaded tractor sound otherwise on snap throttle. Also most sounds like a much stronger pinking sound.

I need to change my oil so keen to hear of Castrol edge 10w60sn deals too. I havent seen it on any 50% off sale for a few years now. Lots of edge 10w40 50% off sales but none of the good stuff :(

About 3 weeks ago Reppers had a 25% off stock not already on sale. 10w60sn happened to be 25% off which worked about to be $85 for 5 litres.

Let's group buy a 20 litre drum!

• Like 2

the s50 really should be run on 10w60 ... you end up with the dreaded tractor sound otherwise on snap throttle. Also most sounds like a much stronger pinking sound.

Mine stopped making that noise when i replaced the chain tensioner, otherwise the only noises you could hear were normal ones (mainly injectors). Its well known that the 10W60 oil was only specified for the S50 AFTER the S54 came out, but no one can agree on what grade it was before that.

try the dealer,take a couple of containers in and ask for your 6 litres or whatever at the same time you pick up an oil filter.That what i used to do when i did an oil change on the 535