Sign in to follow this  
dkonsta1

540i e39 Auto - Gearbox Grinding noise on Reverse & Parking. Could

Hi guys. Recently I noticed a grinding noise coming out of my gearbox when I engage reverse or parking.

No noises whatsoever in Neutral and Drive.

Noises are not loud but easy to pick up in a late night quiet environment.

Could it be my engine mounts?

This is according to a couple of forums online.

Car is 1999 with 150k on the clock and recently new oil and filter on the gearbox.

Any similar experience and knowledge would be welcome.

Cheers Dimitrios

Could be a few things. When you say grinding, does it have quite a large thump when you engage rev or park?. Best to get it checked though as these gearboxes are a PITA!! ask me how I know haha.

• Like 1

Hmmm, I know once the torque converter begins to fail (very common in these) they tend to make an awful grind/high pitched whine which you can hear in the cabin, and usually gets worse with revs. This is what took my first gearbox. In saying that, you should in theory hear it in drive as well if this were the case. Would definitely pay to get a professional opinion in case its a nice minor issue, as from experience, these boxes can go down hill pretty fast. (I'm assuming you are talking about the 540i)

Yeap 540i. Thanksfully I don't have any loud sounds during high revs or driving but I will get it checked.

Glenn or Ray could be a good start...

I've been told Harold from Transmission Solutions in Manuakau is the bees knees, (09)2777 177, 021 212 0561. I've only even spoken to him on the phone, but he was extremely helpful and I wish I'd taken mine to him.

• Like 1

I went to the guys and they are extremely helpful friendly and easy to deal with.

they diagnosed the problem, nothing to worry about no need for repairs.

• Like 1