Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

MissBM V.2

Unfortunately this is illegal. If your car gets into another dust up it will void your insurance if the inspector spots the tint. Done well I guess the chances of someone spotting it are minimal.

According to the LVVTA page

"2.1(14) An overlay must not be applied to a lens fitted to a low volume vehicle if that overlay would reduce the mechanical and optical properties of the lamp below a safe tolerance."

Furthermore.....

"NOTE: Headlamps are the most important part of a low volume vehicle’s lighting system, as they affect the driver’s vision, the vehicle’s conspicuity, and oncoming motorists’ ability to see without being dazzled. As such, there can be no compromises in relation to headlamps on a low volume vehicle for any reason."

Kinda seems like a lot of grey area on such a topic?

It's pretty clear on the NZTA website: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your-lights-right/get-your-lights-right/#modify

"Tinting

It is illegal to apply any kind of tint film, tint paint or opaque sticker to any lamp which has a function other than decoration (eg non-cosmetic)."

• Like 1

^ but it's not a "low volume" vehicle is it?

Edit: in reply to Mike's comment, not Julian's.

Edited by M3AN

Yeah I guess not.

Any low volume vehicle is a standard car modified enough to require a low volume certification plate. EG, my old E36 with its engine conversion.

Yet its all good in the hood to use a replacement lamp with a dark lens, even if the light output is exactly the same as a tinted one. Lawl.

Edited by KwS

We're getting off track a bit now anyway, I only alerted Amber because it's those kind of mods that insurance inspectors look for if a claim is made because it will immediately void the insurance, even if it has nothing to do with the accident.

Much like un-certed hub spacers, cut springs, etc.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

just wanted to see if it was the car i saw for sale ages ago haha. im sure it had some kind of p plate on it but cant remember what. if i see it ill recognise it though

My girlfriend says I'm a stalker.

Well, shes not my girlfriend yet.

• Like 10

We're getting off track a bit now anyway, I only alerted Amber because it's those kind of mods that insurance inspectors look for if a claim is made because it will immediately void the insurance, even if it has nothing to do with the accident.

Much like un-certed hub spacers, cut springs, etc.

The last car was done the same. No issues :) working for Car Folie I saw it all - and know the laws, but thanks for the heads up anyway.

In saying that, there is also a protective law for us insurance consumers, that if the modification (like tint) was not the main cause of the accident or any contribution towards that accident, insurance can't not pay you out.

And yes it is a grey area. Because I've had VTNZ wofs with tinted film indicators ;)

Can we get back on topic please?

• Like 1

My girlfriend says I'm a stalker.

Well, shes not my girlfriend yet.

That's the spirit, don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't do!

• Like 1

I go away on a 10 hour flight and come back to the most responsive thread ever. Happy days lol.

In saying that, there is also a protective law for us insurance consumers, that if the modification (like tint) was not the main cause of the accident or any contribution towards that accident, insurance can't not pay you out.

And yes it is a grey area. Because I've had VTNZ wofs with tinted film indicators ;)

Can we get back on topic please?

If the mod is illegal (such as tinting) won't matter if it had nothing to do with the accident.

Not a grey area, just because it passes a WOF it doesn't certify or legalise it.

Yes (and sorry - have been burnt myself so know how it works!)

• Like 2

If the mod is illegal (such as tinting) won't matter if it had nothing to do with the accident.

Not a grey area, just because it passes a WOF it doesn't certify or legalise it.

Yes (and sorry - have been burnt myself so know how it works!)

Went through this with my M3. Can 100% confirm they paid out, despite indicators being tinted with film.

They questioned it, but I was protected. If it was such a big black mark, I don't think I'd have my blue M3 today lol.

And NZI ain't a small insurance company..

• Like 1

But if it makes everyone feel better, I'll just go ahead and purchase pretinted ones..

Didn't think I'd get this much flack on BS for doing it.

• Like 5

Not flack! Just a warning based on personal experience of insurance vs 'illegal' mods! The rule is pretty ridiculous that a factory tinted with potentially lower light output is fine and an aftermarket tint is not, but insurers will use what they can to avoid paying out!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

On topic if you'd like someone to 'look after' your M3 while you are away let me know - I'll make sure the battery doesn't go flat :-)

• Like 2

Would look good on Work VSXX Amber. Contact me for Bimmersport members discount deal.

harvey @ performalink.com

post-1676-0-19591600-1446086598_thumb.jp

post-1676-0-96842700-1446086866.jpg

• Like 4

Would look good on Work VSXX Amber. Contact me for Bimmersport members discount deal.

harvey @ performalink.com

Was going to message you on Facebook :)

faaaa that looks good. the wheels look great on the pheonix yellow. not sure why this colour gets so much hate i reckon its pretty nice

• Like 2

Except that ridiculous extended CSL type trunk lid that also doesn't fit very well.

• Like 2

The CSL lid looks great in person on that particular car - I seem to recall the owner possibly saying it was OEM. He has spent a tonne on his car ... Really cool

might be the perspective then, looks awful in that pic. The CSL boot lid is the one thing i cant stand about the CSL any, so ugly.

really, i like the CSL bootlid very much, of course, on an M3 with the correct rest of the body. a CSL lid on a 318i is no good

• Like 2

Lovely. But leave the wheels and boot spolier OEM in my opinion. Looks perfect as it is. Very nice !

• Like 2

Wow awesome car Amber! Look forward to seeing what direction you're going to take on this!

If you're after carbon fiber parts, I can't recommend Andrey at BG enough, his 2x2 weave is amazing and they're perfect fitment.

http://carbonized-bg.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=3&Itemid=5

Edited by CSET
  • Like 1

I'm also a fan of VS-XX on the e46, although if you go that way I'd recommend a size smaller than I had on MTOY - pic for reference to compare to the much better sizing on Charl's car above:

22830246491_dcf6b316ec_b.jpgFull2 by Christian Taylor, on Flickr