Sign in to follow this  
boy benz

How do I top up gbox fluid on E46 Wagon?

Hey guys. Have a noob question . How do I check/fill gearbox fluid on A E46 Wagon ?

Take a look at that service manual i posted.

Haven't done a bmw auto flush before but with the AL4 bmw boxes, ZFs we get in the Citroens you normally

1) Dump the fluid by removing the drain plug and the level tube behind it.

2) Fit the level tube once drained, leave the plug out, keep the drain tin there.

3) Fill with 1L Dextron 3 through fill plug hole on top of box

4) Start car in park and fill until you get a steady small stream coming from the plug hole/level tube.

5) Stop filling and fit the plug while still running and its done. Do this a couple times if your fluid is particularly dirty/old.

Not sure if this will apply to your E46, but on my E30 I always make sure to remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug just in case the fill plug is stuck. The last thing you want is to drain the box and then not be able to fill it. Just my .02 :~)

• Like 3

As Toby says - remove the fill plug first so you know you can.

The E46 auto boxes are a bit of a PITA to sort, but not difficult. It's just that ridiculous 'filled for life' mentality that lets them down. There is, for instance, absolutely no way to accurately check the fluid level.

Get under the car. Not always practical for everyone. Check the location of the fill and drain plugs. Remove the fill plug, position catch tray under car (get one that will hold 10 litres and then you'll be fine - total system capacity is around 9 litres.)

Remove drain plug. Wait.

If at all possible, get a transmission filter and change that too - these don't normally come with a gearbox sump gasket so order one of them as well. It requires removal of 20-something bolts. Remove sump, remove filter, clean sump, replace with new gasket, and refit drain plug.

If you're keen, remove the hoses from the trans cooler at the front of the car and drain that too.

I don't recommend flushing the gearbox. Drain all fluids as best you can and leave it at that.

Next, you need to pump the trans fluid up into the fill hole. Apologies - I don't recall the amounts to use but this should be done in stages. Pump (say) 3 litres into the gearbox, fit the fill plug, start the engine and cycle through the gears. (Don't try to drive anywhere!) Repeat until fluid starts to dribble while you are pumping fluid in, then repeat once more. By this time, the gearbox fault light on the dash should have gone out.

There's a couple of much more complete write-up here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166135 and here:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=438667

• Like 1

E46 has life time fluid which unless there is a leak, you don't need to fill it. But if you want to do it, fill it up to the fill plug to "just" not overflow, close it, warm up the car and recheck.

Also, for auto box, it uses a special fluid LT71141. Don't mix it with your normal Dexron 3.

E46 has life time fluid which unless there is a leak, you don't need to fill it. But if you want to do it, fill it up to the fill plug to "just" not overflow, close it, warm up the car and recheck.

Also, for auto box, it uses a special fluid LT71141. Don't mix it with your normal Dexron 3.

Sorry Vincent - there is no such thing as a true lifetime fluid. Our 320d has covered more distance than most, but the fluid in it about 150000km ago was thin, black and like water - very little ATF property left.

The LT71141 is an 'ideal' fluid, but there are others that are more readily available, cheaper and at least as good. I use Penrite ATF FS which (iirc) exceeds LT71141 specs.

It is important to note also that there are two autoboxes in the E46 - the ZF and the GM-sourced boxes. Specs may differ slightly; use the best fluid you can regardless.