Sign in to follow this  
kmx

E90 335i Coilovers + Install/Alignment under $2k? or Dreaming&#33

Hi guys

Im starting to look at suspension options for my e90 335i Sport.

I really just want to lower the car but i keep reading posts about Eibach and H&R springs wearing out the std Sport shocks as i would like to keep these if i can. I would like to keep the ride as similar as possible to the current factory Sport suspension if i can.

For a normal everyday street driver and i will probably never put my car on a track do you guys think this will still wear the shocks or are these comments related to guys driving their cars hard and racing them?

If coil overs are the way to go, am i dreaming if i think i can get hardware, install and alignment all for under $2k?

Thanks in advance.

Got KW V2s on mine, they're a great kit.

Downside is you do have to put up with the extra harshness which is mainly apparent on the country roads well out of town, roads around Auckland still feel fine. The bumper will frequently be kissing the ground when going in/out of driveways and going up/down a level in parking garages so need to be extra careful or you'll damage it.

Gotta watch out for the pavement or those parking barriers when parking...

Do it for the handling if that's what you want, if you just do it for looks you'll regret it I think because then it's not worth the downsides.

Got KW V2s on mine, they're a great kit.

Downside is you do have to put up with the extra harshness which is mainly apparent on the country roads well out of town, roads around Auckland still feel fine. The bumper will frequently be kissing the ground when going in/out of driveways and going up/down a level in parking garages so need to be extra careful or you'll damage it.

Gotta watch out for the pavement or those parking barriers when parking...

Do it for the handling if that's what you want, if you just do it for looks you'll regret it I think because then it's not worth the downsides.

Thanks. I get your point.

Thanks. I can see this kit is around $2,700 so possibly $3k installed. Wow that's quite a bit.

I can see the dampers and fully adjustable, do you have yours set quite firm and could you soften then out to improve ride.

Am I playing with fire looking at bc gold and d2 coil overs if I were to ditch the springs idea.

Also looking at springs and shocks this is looking like $1,200 or hardware then install so call it $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

contact speedfactor they build xyz coilovers and will build them to your spec if you wish to go coilovers, will set you back $1500 plus remembering you still need to get certification after they have been installed so allow just over 2k.

With springs it is best to replace shocks with heavy duty items to dampen the harsher spring better, you can do it without doing shocks but expect the ride to be a little bumpier, but yes they do wear out the factory shocks but the do it with all vehicles not just e90's.

Thanks. I get your point.

Thanks. I can see this kit is around $2,700 so possibly $3k installed. Wow that's quite a bit.

I can see the dampers and fully adjustable, do you have yours set quite firm and could you soften then out to improve ride.

Am I playing with fire looking at bc gold and d2 coil overs if I were to ditch the springs idea.

Also looking at springs and shocks this is looking like $1,200 or hardware then install so call it $1,500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last owner put them on, I don't think I would have spent this much to be honest. You could get the V1s to save money and just lose damper adjustment.

They're about at the highest setting which is still a fair bit lower than stock MSport, I think 1.5cm in the front and 1cm in the back. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference. I haven't touched the damping as it seems to be at a good level, it's probably default but I'll check some time. Just a pain to get to the rear damper adjustment as it's hidden under the boot liner.

Will also mention it felt terribly harsh in combination with the Bridgestone runflats, with some Goodyear Eagle F1s it's now a smoother ride than my co-worker's 330i with sport suspension and runflats. I have 19 inch wheels and he has 18s.

I'd say look at spring/shock combinations for some better value for money. You're not racing the car right? If not, no real need to a pay a premium or sacrifice quality in order to have coilovers.

Can't comment on those other coilover brands but I'm sure there are some other forum members here who can :)

Go see Chris @ Autoquip -

Weitec may be a option (KW make them - kit costs less)

KW V1/V2 is probably more suited for yourself

I got my KW V3 kit for around 3.3K (inc gst) , but I track my car so wanted the adjust-ability

Edited by mod335

contact speedfactor they build xyz coilovers and will build them to your spec if you wish to go coilovers, will set you back $1500 plus remembering you still need to get certification after they have been installed so allow just over 2k.

With springs it is best to replace shocks with heavy duty items to dampen the harsher spring better, you can do it without doing shocks but expect the ride to be a little bumpier, but yes they do wear out the factory shocks but the do it with all vehicles not just e90's.

Thanks mate, i have just flicked them an email.

cheers