Sign in to follow this  
Matich

My e36 318is (sedan) M sport

This is my cosmic black 1998 318is M44B19 (sedan south african import), I'm planning to cover all four corners with new shocks and springs this summer as my first modification on the car and need some suggestions with what brands I should go with.

My future plans for the car is to improve it's performance gradually overtime without swapping the engine to a 6pot (i understand it would be cheaper hp for dollar to swap but I like how light the 4pot is and want to keep it original) , ultimately I would like to be able to build up to something like a dasc supercharger even though they are quite rare nowadays :(

anyways feel free to suggest modifications that would benefit the car in anyway possible as i'm open to all suggestions!

post-52990-0-73159500-1446804169_thumb.j

post-52990-0-31200200-1446804177_thumb.j

post-52990-0-53683800-1446804187_thumb.j

post-52990-0-53156100-1446804195_thumb.j

post-52990-0-74476500-1446804203_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks tidy, good job , and welcome aboard

Welcome to the forum. Very clean sedan.
The general best recommended shocks & springs combo is Bilstein shocks or Koni Yellow shocks with H&R springs.
I have Bilstein monotube shocks (m3) in my E36 with B&G lowering springs and it handles extremely well.

You'd also do well to contact Ray (HELLBM on here and www.hellbm.com and spend $250 on one of his E46 purple tag steering racks, this is a ridiculously huge improvement over the stock rack, and will bolt right up. It'll get rid of the horrible dead-on-centre steering that e36's generally have stock and also tighten it up, 3 turn lock-to-lock ratio.

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely sounds like a modification worth doing, any particular steering ratio I should go for?

get the purple tag rack (ratio is 13:7:1)

also i would removed those silly looking eyelids immediately. and that m badge on teh front grill. also the chrome grills stand out a lot for some reason looks strange to me - i would probably black it out haha..

Didn't the last of the 318is e36 run out model have the quick rack as factory ? I think that last batch of NZ models did along with almost every option ticked.

Hijack! So would the purple tag rack fit in an e30 seeing as the e36 rack fits? I've just finished the e36 conversion and it's a great step in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hijack! So would the purple tag rack fit in an e30 seeing as the e36 rack fits? I've just finished the e36 conversion and it's a great step in the right direction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.