Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1986 E30 320i daily

I guess it was inevitable that a near-30 year-old car with more than 350K kms has become a project. Aiming to keep it a maintenance project and doing my best not to allow too much mission creep.

Anyway, got stuck in today literally... Starting with replacing a cracked left hand tail light that was glued in with a couple of kilos of sikaflex:

Posted Image

Used replacement cost $80 and brand new OE gasket $25 (E31 equivalent would have been $100 just for the gasket!!!).

Posted Image

• Like 3

Lifters are typically noisy, though the vid sounds worse than it actually is. And not surprising for an engine with almost 360K kms on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms1uaTPWHV8

2892b4b205f9f34a63c9f7eebbdca041.jpg

And clean as a whistle inside... 9e39c3b6b354dfad4a76f1546eef395f.jpg

Degreased, primed, and wrinkled... 4d949bc5ba4c0c8ece8a5dc273bcdbb2.jpg301af49eaf76367e87bffc0bda4b5983.jpg

I'll let the wrinkle paint cure overnight then tackle the valve timing tomorrow and see if I can do something about the ticking, refit the valve cover with new seals and give the bay a good clean.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

I'm not laughing to hard.. Promise...rofl. :lol:

2782669.jpg

That Winkle paint looks great. Will have to get some for the 740. And that engine looks clean Not bad for a car of that mileage.

• Like 5

I'm not laughing to hard.. Promise...rofl. :lol:

That Winkle paint looks great. Will have to get some for the 740. And that engine looks clean Not bad for a car of that mileage.

Laugh it up, Dave, and you can keep your Winkle paint to yourself!! Haha

But in all seriousness, wrinkle paint is seriously good stuff for tidying up an ageing engine bay. It's not as tough as powdercoat though so you have to be more careful when reassembling.

• Like 1

Wrinkle paint looks great.

Is that heat proof?

Up to about 150 Celsius, so plenty high enough for valve covers. I managed to scratch the finish this morning being clumsy. As mentioned it's not the most durable finish. Nothing a quick respray won't fix.

Posted Image

Adjusted the valves and reassembled. Ticking's still pretty loud but not quite as bad. Plugs had a fair bit of oil on them at the business end so something else is wrong. Head gaskets were apparently done 4-5 years ago so unless it was done badly it's most likely worn valve stem seals.

Posted Image

At least the bay looks a bit tidier now.

Posted Image

• Like 5

looks good

hey since they siliconed the taillights in its almost definately because a lot of E30s leak around the tail lights, the rear window and boot drains directly onto th tail lights. worth pulling out the carpet and the battery and checking if there is any water sitting in the bottom of the pockets on either side fo the car at the back. many E30s i have worked on have had a 20 kg weight saving once the water is all drained out

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, I'll check though water can't have got in after the glued it up. No idea why you'd bother. The OE gaskets were $20 apiece and make a perfect seal.

Changed the oil and refilled with the correct viscosity... Ticking much quieter now. I'd like to say it was my valve adjustments but evidence suggests the right oil has made the bigger difference.

Doesn't solve the leaks though so will check the plugs again soon to see if it was residual oil orbit there is a current leak from the valve seals or head gasket.

Edited by jeffbebe

Changed the oil and refilled with the correct viscosity... Ticking much quieter now.

20w50? Mineral? I don't want to start a discussion on oil... but i'm just curious :~)

Manual says 15w-40 or 20w-50 both mineral. I used the latter since we're going into summer and felt thicker would be better with worn lifters, etc.

• Like 1

Replaced the plastic covered rust front and rear windscreen trim with some black from a wrecked fl e30. Looks infinitely better.

Before

b20c6a5c85e3d96d14300c5945aa2111.jpg

After

f02daefba0fb8bceb2b4f0d9b66d797e.jpg51d30f17dfa1b2ca5b71ca9ba44b7886.jpg

It's the little things that count!!!

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 2

Manual says 15w-40 or 20w-50 both mineral. I used the latter since we're going into summer and felt thicker would be better with worn lifters, etc.

I would have gone with the thinner stuff, even thinner again and used a semi syn, 5w-40 or 10w-40 would be ideal.

While some wear might be present on the lifters / shims, I think that doesn't warrant going to a thicker viscosity of oil.

If anything 20+ years of oil deposits built up have narrowed bearing journals and other places oil flows in the head etc, put thicker oil into the mix, in theory you might just end up with higher pressures and lower oil flow, especially on start up where the majority of wear takes place.

• Like 1

If that was the case then I'd expect the ticking to be louder,?especially on start up until the oil was properly lubricating everything. But not the case. Significantly quieter now and maybe placebo effect but the engine seems smoother.

Regular oil changes with the recommended oil seems a better plan than second guessing.

• Like 3

Finally got round to fitting the secondhand springs I picked up. Not stupidly low but a drop of around 2 inches (and counting as it's still settling)... which goes to show how ridiculously high it was before! Rears were easy, fronts a bit more of a pain and required some swearing.

23700332434_a90678b51f_c.jpg

Bought some stock bumpstops and cut them down... because I'm cheap and didn't want to pay $60 each for m tech ones.

23960739019_07ba012317_c.jpg

Not happy with the dirt but ran out of daylight so obsessive cleaning will have to wait.

24220341342_fccd0646f8_c.jpg

Job done:

24220338792_2fc4052d3e_c.jpg

Before

22297122378_f2c68bc5a6_c.jpg

After:

24032971040_8d581354e7_c.jpg

• Like 2

Also need to fix a start issue. Car wouldn't start after being left outside at New Year's in those two days of heavy rain. Cranking but not firing. I had to wait a couple of days for it to dry out. Presuming a cracked distributor cap but I visible water in the bay apart from a small amount under the fuse box (though nothing in the box). Any other possible causes?

Edited by jeffbebe

Also need to fix a start issue. Car wouldn't start after being left outside at New Year's in those two days of heavy rain. Cranking but not firing. I had to wait a couple of days for it to dry out. Presuming a cracked distributor cap but I visible water in the bay apart from a small amount under the fuse box (though nothing in the box). Any other possible causes?

Hmm, bad ground / power on the battery, main earthing points?

check the main ground strap for the engine also.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance but would it still crank normally with a bad ground?

EDIT: okay, have just read that bad ground can mean that when the engine cranks voltage to igniters can drop below required so they don't fire. Just wondering how rain would affect the ground strap. Wouldn't an issue like that present itself all the time not just post-wet weather?

Not saying you're wrong, just trying to eliminate possible causes.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

water trickels down into all sorts of places, its connected onto the side of the car underneath, have a look if the insulation is cracked and yuk could be your issue.

if you have a pair of jump leads connect one to somewhere convenient on the engine and the other to the shock tower or similar (leave the red one connected to nothing) and crank and see what happens.

(if it doesnt solve but the ground strap is all cracked, worth getting one replicated at auto sparky anyways, same way you did the main power feed in your V12 (i hope!!)

Looks good Jooles.

The "projects" coming along nicely. :D

if it helps, back when I ran an e30 325i it had two 'interesting' issues. mileage was around 130k miles. I'd already replaced dizzy cap, fuel filter, leads, plugs, oil and air filters.

1. Hot start frequently wouldn't start. Cranked over fine, but wouldn't catch.

2. Sometimes it would have a massive miss/hiccup (like a sneeze)... different gears, different speeds, roughly similar engine speeds. (like a 2nd to 3rd gear change when letting the clutch out, or at 80mph cruising in 5th...

I had a couple of RAC callouts, they couldn't figure it.

Solved by replacing fuel pump relay, and the DME relay. At that point the car was 13 years old.

I think these two items are often overlooked; the contacts in the relays oxidise over time. You could crack em open and burnish them, though given the price of new ones, just replacing makes sense.

HTH