Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

M5x Compacts

Paging Glenn, James, Steve etc...

Hey i know there are several M5x and S5x E36 compacts on here now,

I am looking for guidance for the drive shaft, everything should be swapped over in December, I am aware every where is very busy and/or closes up then for a few weeks, so if i need a custom driveshaft or get one balanced etc Id rather get the ball rolling now.

I also want to know what the difference between a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder manual conversion is, if any. Some say there is no difference between the two, others say there is? from what i know about the M5x and M4x engines everything should be cross compatable but i havent swapped an E36 before so just want confirmation!!!

Cheers lads

• Like 1

The wheelbase is actually the same, so driveshaft I'd imagine will be the same. As far as I understand it the shifter linkage on a 4 cyl conversion is slightly too long for a 6 cyl motor, and the front half of the manual driveshaft mates up with the rear half of the 6 cyl driveshaft to give the correct length. But I'm sure Glenn will know for sure.

No help with the e36 Andy but had to renew the gear change linkage completely and the gearbox cross member on the e46 their was some 35 mm difference in length between the four and six set up. As for the drive shaft tried a combo of set ups front from this with rear from that but none in the end worked out so got the original one shortened by about 50 mm. Even loosing the lock nut and sliding the rear part of the drive shaft fully home on the splines it was still to long cost me about $550 with a crowd in Palmy. The main thing is to get the centre bearing to line back up with the mounting holes I found. Should you not have to get the shaft shortened I believe you may be able to do away with out drive shaft hoops could be wrong though. Have a look in the parts cat at the various parts should give you some clue's to any differences best of luck.

call me some time

• Like 1

Can confirm both the shift rod and selector arm are different length between 4 and 6 cylinder. Best go with 6 cyl parts instead of cutting and shutting (like i had done by a "reputable" workshop). All other shifter parts the same.

Can confirm both the shift rod and selector arm are different length between 4 and 6 cylinder. Best go with 6 cyl parts instead of cutting and shutting (like i had done by a "reputable" workshop). All other shifter parts the same.

I will not be doing any cutting and bodgying to make something like that work, particularly on a car that will be abused to hell, sounds like i am right to stick with 6 cylinder bits

I used a getrag 250g of a E36 318 M42/M44 motor. The driveshaft was only different because it was previously auto. You only need to change the front part of the driveshaft. There was no need to change/adjust or modify linkages or gearbox mounts

if its 4cyl gear linkages you will need to change them for 6cyl 320i 323i 325i ones or get them cut and welded 25mm shorter .

use the front half of the manual driveshaft mated to the rear half of the auto ,

when you swap a medium case e30 diff and axles into it. you might shorten the collar in the middle of the driveshaft

so it can close up in length a little.

some panel beating is required with a hammer to fit the larger diff in just so the rear cover clears the floor beam.

if its 4cyl gear linkages you will need to change them for 6cyl 320i 323i 325i ones or get them cut and welded 25mm shorter .

I did not have to do this... I used the 318 I linkages that came with the 250G box from HellBM with no modifications needed

I did not have to do this... I used the 318 I linkages that came with the 250G box from HellBM with no modifications needed

maybe they where swapped for 6cyl ones before you got them , as the 4cyl ones are different part numbers between 316i,318i 318is 318ti vs 320i 323i 325i etc.

all the 6cyl engines m20 m50 m52 m54 etc sit 25mm further back in the engine bay than the 4cyl m40 , m43 ,m42 ,m44 n42

etc engines.

4cyl ones

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111221540/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111222203/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111221544/

6cyl ones

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111221541/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111221864/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111222019/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111221547/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111222664/

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/25111222738/

I will not be doing any cutting and bodgying to make something like that work, particularly on a car that will be abused to hell, sounds like i am right to stick with 6 cylinder bits

JB Weld aye m8

• Like 1

If you look at page 3... the gearbox and linkages are all attached as it came out of the 318 when I purchased the conversion from Ray the only thing that changed was all new bushes and seals. Its all 4 cylinder gear. And it was taken off a M42/44

Yep both of you demonstrating the finidings of every other thread i have read, some say it will work some say it wont will need to cut etc

I wonder if the confusion comes from use of the 250G box on models except 328

I wonder if the difference is the compact? I know for sure it was a 4cyl box and linkages used in my 323i coupe, with the linkages cut and shut (and the shifter position was crap). Had to replace the linkages with proper 6cyl ones to get the position sorted.

This is where my shifter sat straight after the conversion, in neutral. Would hit the surround in 2nd and 4th.

ozfUJoX.jpg

• Like 1

^ an E36 323ti was a model BMW actually produced, just ran the part number for that shifter and it is not compact specific, and is shared with all other 6 cylinder E36s but not 4 cylinder.

Id like to say that part numbers dont lie, but the shear amont of people on the internet and also Glenn whom i respect saying 4 cylinder works, you really have to wonder!

Maybe install with the 4 cyl linkages and see what happens? Its not that hard to swap them out if you haven't reinstalled the propshaft. The kit I used came from another 6 cyl coupe so I never had this particular problem

^ an E36 323ti was a model BMW actually produced, just ran the part number for that shifter and it is not compact specific, and is shared with all other 6 cylinder E36s but not 4 cylinder.

Id like to say that part numbers dont lie, but the shear amont of people on the internet and also Glenn whom i respect saying 4 cylinder works, you really have to wonder!

Only 4 cylinder M42/44 with getrag 250g out of an E36. The 250g was used by most of the 320's 6's and not 323,325 0r 328's is how I read it and how I did it with no mods or lining up issues. The discussion could go on and on.... but I DID IT.... see my thread or come and have a look, take photos, have a chat

Edited by *Glenn*

No cutting of linkages is necessary when using a 220 box, nor any body mods or any trimming of the propshaft for fitting a medium case diff. I have done it with ALL OEM bits except for the rear part of the 328i exhaust. Just love it when know-it-alls know nothing but still insist on trying it on to boost their e-cocks.. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

No cutting of linkages is necessary when using a 220 box, nor any body mods or any trimming of the propshaft for fitting a medium case diff. I have done it with ALL OEM bits except for the rear part of the 328i exhaust. Just love it when know-it-alls know nothing but still insist on trying it on to boost their e-cocks.. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

t

we are talking about m52 m50 into e36 compact WILL , not a sedan .

ti rear driveshaft half is much shorter than a sedan or coupe.

so when you intstall medium case diff , with the auto rear half and the front half of a 4cyl manual diff it will be to long.

but its ok if you use a 6cyl manual front half (as the 6cyl man front half is 25mm shorter just like the linkages)

does everyone agree that the 6cyl engines sit 25mm further back in the engine bay than a 4cyl???

as bmw made them like that to keep the weight split closer to 50/50 .

the getrag boxes are all the same length , so see what happens for yourself when you use the 4cyl linkages.

have installed more than 20 of these kits .

including a few into e36 328i ,318ti 328ti etc z3 2.8L etc always the same way.

by all means make your point, but no need to get personal, tread very carefully

• Like 1

twe are talking about m52 m50 into e36 compact WILL , not a sedan .

Does this look like a sedan to you??? Taken early into the conversion (obviously) and completed with all OEM parts and no bashing of critical members above diffs, cutting pieces off propshafts etc.

20151105_162144s_zpsnxhohky7.jpg

Like Glenn I do NOT do bodging, no8 wire work etc. It really gets up my nose when someone works like a bush mechanic and then tries to justify all the 'work' as proper work when challenged. This results in vehicles which are a potential hazard to myself and everyone on our roads. Why should I tread carefully when it could be fatal???

• Like 1

would have been nice to get to the bottom of why there are differences of opinion. But i may as will cut this off here.

Thread locked