Sign in to follow this  
Yamahoo

Weird electrical issue

Ok, so I drove my e30 convertible back from Mangawhai on Friday and none of the electric Windows would go up. When I got home I discovered they would work when the door was open. I presumed that I had a broken wire in the door loom so started looking for some evidence of that. Door closed, all good, door open, nothing works. Then I discovered that if I opened the door and operated the windows everything worked - until I touched the interior light switch on the A pillar which made everything stop.

Then started fiddling with the interior light up by the check control lights and found that when the light switch is in the hard left position the my windows all work with the door open and closed......

So.....any clues?

Unloader relay circuit not working. Either a faulty relay or it not getting an earth via the starter motor. Check wiring at the starter first. Should be two small wires attached.

Check fuse 17, when the doors are open its a different circuit

Thanks for the replies......

I checked fuse 17 in the process of trying to diagnose and it was blown, but replacing it didn't fix the issue. I'll check the starter wires tomorrow. I'm presuming the relay at fault would be k5?